Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Italian firms keen on missile defence system deal with Pakistan

Discussion in 'South Asia & SAARC' started by OverLoad, Apr 8, 2017.

1. OverLoad

OverLoad Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Pakistan
    http://dailytimes.com.pk/pakistan/0...en-to-sell-missile-defence-system-to-pakistan

KARACHI: Italian manufacturers and suppliers of military hardware, particularly missile defence systems, are eyeing Pakistan as a potential market to export their products and technology.

Representatives of leading defense equipment manufacturers, including MBDA, Italian developer and manufacturer of missiles; Elettronica, Integrated Electronic Attack and Self-Protection Systems developer; and Fincantieri, an Italian shipbuilding company on Thursday held a press conference onboard the visiting Italian Navy ship ITS Carabiniere. They briefed the press about their companies' expertise and willingness to explore Pakistan's market for defence products.

Earlier, Francesco Pagnotta, the commanding officer of the visiting Italian ship, briefed the media about the ship and her visit to South-East Asia and Australia.

ITS Carabiniere is an anti-submarine warship that was delivered to the Italian Navy in April 2015. ITS Carabiniere is fitted with latest generation platform and combat systems based on state of the art military and civil standards.

ITS Carabiniere's deployment is aimed at strengthening the ongoing cooperation with some trans-regional allies and developing relations with potential partners. The main theme of the naval campaign is maritime safety and surveillance, cooperation strengthening and naval diplomacy, Pagnotta said.

He said that the visit to South East Asia and Australia had started from Italy on December 20 last year. He said it reflected an international vision that converged and outlined this century as the "Blue Age". "The Blue Growth is considered a key factor for sustainable development of the countries where the sea is a key resource for business growth, employment and technology," he said.

The visit of Italian navy ship to Pakistan will strengthen bilateral relations and open new avenues in the area of defence collaboration and cooperation between the two navies.

The ship has reached Karachi after visiting Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Australia and Singapore where the frigate joined exercitations with local navies and took part in LIMA 17, held in Malaysia. The deployment of the ship was organised with the support of Fincantieri, Leonardo, MBDA Italia, Elettronica and Telespazio.

Italian defence attaché and officials of Pakistan Navy were also present in the press conference.

@nair @PARIKRAMA
    I tagged you people to show you even on this pure military related thread, house trolls will not miss a chance to bark against me and my country.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  2. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Italian firms will not make much headway as because missile defence systems would not be much compatible.
    But yes there is potential.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  3. IndiranChandiran

IndiranChandiran BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India

What kind of reaction were you expecting here ? The Italians are anxious to hawk their products since their relationship with us is considerably soured .

They also expect to be paid & paid well for their fancy stuff .Which , in all probability you won't be able to comply with .

I'm not sure if they would have strict compliance against allowing 3 rd country military personnel from accessing /using such cutting edge state of the art products (assuming they sell such stuff to you in the 1st place ), given your tendency to let China have a peek , in exercises or through other avenues .

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  4. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Good for Italy and Pakistan... Given that economic disaster looms Italy, they must do everything in tier power to sell thier wares to anyone who is interested. India on the other hand should sit back and watch the Italians implode.

ni8mare likes this.
  5. An Indian

An Indian 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Excellent stuff @OverLoad Go for it. They have brilliant stuff to sell. Keep posting more stuff like this - I just love it.
    BTW, also consider their choppers - Augusta Westland make some of the finest choppers in the world. They are even better than the American and Russian ones...

Note: I'm not "barking" at your country. I'm congratulating you guys for making such a fantastic decision. More please.

6. Butter Chicken

Butter Chicken Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Italians want cash,not credit cards