Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

J&K locals giving fake intels to Indian soldiers as six army men die chasing dubious leads

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by Vergennes, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Vergennes

Vergennes Strategist Staff Member MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    [​IMG]

Unreliable informants have become a serious threat to the safety of Army units operating against militants in Jammu and Kashmir.According to sources, twice in the past fortnight the army’s local informers in the Valley have provided red herring information to the units involved in operations, leading the jawans directly into the militants’ trap.

According to Army sources in the Valley, intelligence inputs provided by local informers in both Hajin and Shopian operations were proven wrong, leading to the death of six army personnel.

In a recent case in South Kashmir’s Shopian district, three army men were killed and one critically injured in an ambush on 44 Rashtriya Rifles when an Army patrol party was returning from a search operation in Kungoo village based on intelligence inputs.

The incident has pressed the alarm bell for security establishment as it is ‘unusual phenomenon’ that in ten days, two major intelligence inputs have gone wrong, sources said.

On February 14, at least three soldiers were killed and 15 security personnel were injured during an encounter with terrorists at Hajin in Bandipora district based on false intelligence inputs.

A militant was also killed during the encounter, which began after security personnel received intelligence inputs concerning the presence of gunmen in a residential part of the district.

According to the source, in the Shopian attack, the army company was given a tip-off about a hideout of some militants but after hours of search, they couldn’t find anyone and were attacked on their way back.

‘It was apparently a trap as the army men were attacked with great effectiveness on their way back from the patrol. Soldiers were caught unaware as militants came prepared and fired indiscriminately,’ the source said.

The Hizbul Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for the ambush and the group has also released a video, which shows a group of armed men celebrating the success of the attack.

The fallen soldiers have been identified as Lance Naik Ghulam Mohiuddin from Anantnag, Sreejith MJ from Kerala and Sepoy Vikas Singh Gurjar from Rajasthan. A civilian was killed by a stray bullet.

The attack also left two army officers, Lieutenant Colonel Mukesh Jha and Major Amardeep Singh, injured while they were travelling together in a light vehicle.

Senior officials claimed that after the Burhan Wani protests, the army placed added importance on strengthening its intelligence network that also got many positive results.

http://idrw.org/jk-locals-giving-fa...rs-as-six-army-men-die-chasing-dubious-leads/

@Abingdonboy @Nilgiri @PARIKRAMA @Gessler @Levina @Robinhood Pandey @MilSpec and others

Inactive, Grevion, Levina and 2 others like this.
  2. Levina

Levina Admin- Social media Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    It works both ways. On several occasions our soldiers managed many kills, all thanks to the locals and their information.
    But yes, IA has to be more careful each time it takes up such operations, at times soldiers walk into trap. This happens in our north east too.

Inactive likes this.
  3. nair

nair Die hard Romeo Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Support of Locals is important aspect in an insurgency, and the intel from them is a double edge sword...... The only way is to have SOP's and following them..... You cannot ignore the intel you get.....

Inactive and Grevion like this.
  4. Robinhood Pandey

Robinhood Pandey SECOND IN COMMAND Staff Member SECTION CHIEF

Country Flag:
    India
    No to forget Kargil mismanagement was actually revealed by Locals first

Inactive and Grevion like this.
  5. Grevion

Grevion Think Tank TROLL ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Would like to ask @Hellfire for his views on this.

Inactive likes this.
  6. Inactive

Inactive Guest

Are you sure? You may not like it!:biggthumpup:

On topic:

I think the piece is a typical news item produced by a person far removed from a counter insurgency operation/environment, is actually clueless of same and has good intent behind reporting this. Kudos to the journalist .... I am sure that the intent is to highlight the difficulties faced by the troops operating in the environment and for that, I am ever grateful.

But this, in no way, explains the inexplicable! If a veteran/professional reads this news, only one thing comes to fore - amateur mistake(s)/unprofessional approach.

There are few basics of operating in this environment. The Indian Army, long notorious for having a short term institutional memory, has an excellent set up known as Corps Battle School, where every inducting soldier is taught/re-taught the basics of a counter insurgency environment, how to fight an insurgent and how to defeat him militarily.

One of the foremost point in fighting an insurgent or in a counter insurgency environment is to never trust any information, howsoever reliable or howsoever well cross referenced.

As a team commander, I would not trust the information even if given by my closest officer, as the life of my team and my own, depends on the veracity of the same, and margin of error from a second hand source (anyone other than yourself) leaves a margin of error, which may be howsoever small and statistically insignificant, yet will result in my death and that of my comrades. I am sure, that even as a layman, one can appreciate the logic and rationale of this point.

The second and very important for CI/CT operations is the route of ingress/entry and egress/exit. You never exit the area from the point you enter from!!! There is absolutely no way you can do that and hope to live (until and unless you have a real dumb insurgent or you are plain lucky)!!

Also, if there are only two entry/exit routes into the target area, you never NOT cover/dominate both! There is no either here!!! You have an Intelligence - you suspect something, you build up your troops. You never go without dominating the area.

Lastly, you never exit the area in vehicles. You walk in - you walk out. There is tactical move in both the cases. There is no slack/margin for slack.

These points are very relevant and basics. Especially as @Levina highlighted, in North East. If one was to do an analysis of all the ambushes in a counter insurgency environment the world over, you will find these points being ignored.

My suggestion for dealing with information from a 'reliable' source - take the reliable source and place him/her in point .... and some distance away keep him/her under observation and follow in graduated phases with multiple axis of move. If in valley - dominate height and maintain observation, if on height, cover the flanks and have a block in valley .......

and at first sign of ambush ... execute the source!!!:unsure:

Sathya, rockstar, Levina and 3 others like this.
  7. Grevion

Grevion Think Tank TROLL ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I always appreciate youe views on such matters cap!
    :agree:
    I remember you mentioning that in some thread on ambush of CRPF or Assam Rifles jawans by Naxalites or ULFA.
    :biggthumpup:

Inactive likes this.