Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Japan earthquake: updates

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by Levina, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Levina

Levina NONconfirmist Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates

Japan earthquake: tsunami strike Fukushima coastline after 7.4 magnitude quake

[​IMG]
    Firefighters and others watch the port to check the water level as a tsunami warning is issued following an earthquake in Soma Credit: AP
    22 November 2016 • 2:23am
    • 7.4 magnitude earthquake strikes northern Japan
    • Tsunamis of up to 90 centimeters recorded
    • 1.4 metre tsunami hits Sendai
    • 1 metre tsunami at Fukushima nuclear plant
    • Residents ordered to evacuate from coastal areas
    • Depth of the quake recoreded at 10 km
    A powerful earthquake off the northeast Japanese coast on Tuesday sent residents fleeing to higher ground and prompted worries about the Fukushima nuclear power plant destroyed by a tsunami five year ago.

Lines of cars were seen snaking away from the coast in the pre-dawn hours after authorities issued a tsunami warning and urged residents to seek higher ground immediately. The warning was lifted nearly four hours later.

The magnitude 7.4 earthquake struck in the same region that was devastated by a tsunami in 2011, killing some 18,000 people.

There were reports of minor injuries and damage, Japanese broadcaster NHK said. The earthquake shook buildings in Tokyo, 150 miles southwest of the epicentre.

NHK also showed one person's video of water rushing up a river or canal, but well within the height of the embankment. It was eerily reminiscent of the 2011 disaster, when much larger tsunamis rushed up rivers and overflowed, wiping away entire neighbourhoods.

On Tuesday, tsunami waves were recorded along the coast. The highest one was 1.4 metres in Sendai Bay. A tsunami advisory was eventually lifted at 12.50pm local time.

[​IMG]
    The Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant in Okuma, Fukushima Prefecture Credit: AP
    The operator of the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant said there were no abnormalities observed at the plant, though a swelling of the tide of up to 1 metre was detected offshore.

The plant was swamped by the 2011 tsunami, sending three reactors into meltdown and leaking radiation into the surrounding area. The plant is being decommissioned but the situation remains serious as the utility figures out how to remove still-radioactive fuel rods and debris and what to do with the melted reactor cores.

Plant operator Tepco said a pump that supplies cooling water to a spent fuel pool at the nearby Fukushima Dai-ni plant stopped working, but that a backup pump had been launched to restore cooling water to the pool.

[​IMG]
    Vehicles make a line as they flee following a tsunami warning in Iwaki, Fukushima prefecture Credit: AP
    Naohiro Masuda, head of TEPCO's decommissioning unit, said he believed the pump was shut off automatically by a safety system as the water in the pool shook.

He said decommissioning work at the destroyed Dai-ichi plant had been temporarily suspended because of the earthquake.

The US Geological Survey measured the magnitude at 6.9.

39m ago 06:03

Tsunami waves were filmed surging up the Sunaoshi river in Tagajo city after a quake of magnitude 7.4 shook Japan’s eastern coast, prompting evacuation warnings:

Current Time 0:24
    /
    Duration Time 0:42
    Loaded: 0%
    Progress: 0%
    Mute
    Japan earthquake: tsunami waves surge up river

The good news is, so far no serious injuries and death have been reported. I dont know how the Japanese people do it, they have been successfully rebuilding their nation after every natural (and otherwise) disasters. Touchwood!

@PARIKRAMA @Nilgiri @Roybot @Darth Marr @kaykay @Grevion @Lion of Rajputana @nair @drunken-monke @T-123456 @Vyom @Kollang @Picard
    @Vergennes @Abingdonboy @Hellfire

Vergennes, PARIKRAMA, R!CK and 4 others like this.
  2. Grevion

Grevion Professional Think TROLL ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    :( My best wishes with the brave people of Japan.
    They are the definitely the most adapted people to such natural calamities. Really brave and wonderful people.

Hellfire and Levina like this.
  3. Hellfire

Hellfire Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I am always impressed by their sense of discipline even in face of probable death. See the perfect traffic sense being followed. In India, we would have had four rows of cars and some trying to climb on top of the one in front!!!!!!!

4. Vyom

Vyom Captain STAR MEMBER

I have friend there... Moron slept through the earth quake thinking it to be just a tremor. :blink: Apparently, he got to know it was was big one when I called him up asking if he was alright. :facepalm:

PARIKRAMA and Levina like this.
  5. Levina

Levina NONconfirmist Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Exactly my thoughts.

Prolly he is very used to the tremors. I'm sure it happens often in Japan.

6. Vyom

Vyom Captain STAR MEMBER

Yes, Ordinary Japanese are not even bothered.

PARIKRAMA and Levina like this.
  7. Nilgiri

Nilgiri Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    The warrior code from the Samurai is inbuilt and hardwired in their society. It gives them natural resolve and fortitude I haven't quite seen anywhere else in the world. No tantrums or panic, it is what it is, deal with it etc.

brahmos_ii, PARIKRAMA, R!CK and 3 others like this.
  8. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    True, though in my opinion nobody has a resolve or fortitude that quite matches Israelis.

Anyhow, I wonder who told the Japs it's a good idea to build a freaking reactor near a fault line, inside an inundation zone, at sea level. Seriously hope everything works out ok there.

Nilgiri and Levina like this.
  9. Darth Marr

Darth Marr Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    What did the Japanese ever do to deserve this from Mother Nature ?

Levina likes this.
  10. drunken-monke

drunken-monke SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    One word to describe the Japanese, "Disciplined". Guess had it been India, all sort of Panic and blame game would have already been initiated.. So many times natural disaster have struck Japan, yet the Japanese have rebuilt the nation like repeating the story of Phoenix.

Levina likes this.
  11. nair

nair Die hard Romeo Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I had the same feeling looking at that picture..... If this happened in India, it would have been 5 lane high way with all cars honking.....

PARIKRAMA and Hellfire like this.
  12. Gessler

Gessler Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    They built their homes around a region with very active plate tectonics, which both lead to earthquakes & active volcanism....the Ring of Fire.

[​IMG]

PARIKRAMA, Hellfire and R!CK like this.
  13. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Captain THINK TANK

Country Flag:
    India
    Jews in particular , Israelis will contain Christians and Muslims too.

Look at all the concepts in science. Everywhere. Even while giving Nobel prizes , you can bet at least one will be a Jew.

Hellfire likes this.
  14. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Yup, between the persecution suffered by Jews for centuries, and the harsh desert + tough neighborhood they live in, it breeds a certain degree of resilience, toughness and fight that can't be copied artificially. And their resolve is such that no amount of Arabs could defeat or uproot them from that land, not to mention they turned that barren desert into such an advanced and wealthy country that leads in most fields of intelligence and knowhow.

Gessler and Ankit Kumar 001 like this.
  15. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Yea, I am aware of the Ring of Fire (I also technically live in it/by it). But they could at least avoid putting reactors in inundation zones and at sea levels even if there's not much they can do to put it out of the reach of seismic events.