Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Japan’s ‘green card’ welcome for Indian IT professionals, amid US H1B visa reforms

Discussion in 'China & Asia Pacific' started by randomradio, Feb 10, 2017.

1. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

http://www.livemint.com/Industry/Fs...d-welcome-for-Indian-IT-professionals-am.html

If opportunities for Indian Information Technology (IT) professionals are closing in the US with the new regime proposing new laws to reduce the numbers of H1B visas held by foreign workers including Indians, a new window is opening in the East—Japan.

Under a plan to attract Indian investment and talent to Japan, the Japanese government is introducing a new law to reduce the waiting time for skilled Indians to only 24-48 months’ to obtain a “green card” with permanent residency status.

To be sure, the “green card” programme is open and applicable to all nationalities.

But Indian tech workers hold an advantage. Not only does India have a pool of such a skilled workforce, Japan has also identified IT as a priority area for Indian investment.

The “green card” system is to be introduced next year, said Shigeki Maeda, executive vice-president of the Tokyo-based Japan External Trade Organisation (Jetro) that has an office in New Delhi as well.

Under the programme, “talented” or “highly skilled” Indians including IT professionals could get residency status “in one or two years compared to the five or six years in the US and the UK,” Maeda said.

Indian IT firms have been worried about business and employment prospects in the US following Donald Trump’s election as the 45th President of the US. Trump has called for US companies to hire Americans as he pushes ahead with his election promise to create jobs at home. Some bills have also been introduced in the US Senate seeking to more than double the minimum salary of H1B visa holders to $130,000—making it difficult for firms to use the programme to replace American employees with foreign workers, including from India.

India and Japan signed a social security pact last year—that provides for Indian workers on a short-term contract in Japan exemption from making a social security contribution there—would also be a helpful move for Indian IT professionals in Japan, he said. The pact will also help easy remittance of benefits in case of relocation.

In the case of IT, “India has very advanced technology. Our ICT-related industry does not have the talent and capacity of India,” Maeda told reporters ahead of the “Invest Japan Symposium” organized by Jetro, Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry and the Indian industry body CII in New Delhi. “India and Japan will complement each other in this area,” Maeda said.

According to government statistics, Indian investment in Japan between January 2003 and November 2016 amounted to $468 million while Japanese investment into India between April 2000-September 2016 was to the tune of $ 23.8 billion.

2. randomradio

Japan is finally opening up to some serious immigration.

lca-fan and vstol jockey like this.
  3. PeegooFeng41

PeegooFeng41 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Japan has a very messed up record as far as immigration goes. They had this work visa programme sometimes back and it was almost always unutilized. Issue is simple, it is hard to fit with Japanese in their work culture. You will always be 'wai! it talks!' in the group.

Also getting citizenship in Japan is next to impossible. You should show very deep ties to Japan -- read a Japanese spouse and testimonies from few Japanese neighbor about how they see you a part of Japanese neighborhood etc.

A better idea will be to get a Canadian PR or Australian PR. Even in US I know ways in which you can get PR in 6 months or less legally. As much as I love Japan (and I mean it!), it is hard to be a part of their family. So for the time being, it will be Arigatou-gozhaimasu! Sumimasen! Though I will miss Harajuku.

4. randomradio

I don't know anything about visa rules in Japan. PR took 10 years earlier, they have now reduced it to 2 years. Gotta see what happens.

If their society is closed off to outsiders, then segregation is a real threat. Tokyo could end up getting ghettos. Racism/xenophobia can become a major issue too.

5. ranadd

ranadd FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Thank you, but no.

6. Kalmuahlaunda

Kalmuahlaunda Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Nop never to japan

7. Mayawi

Mayawi IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    No thanks, we love only white people :frust:.

8. INDIAN NATIONALIST

INDIAN NATIONALIST Major SENIOR MEMBER

That is very nice, but is there any feasible path for India at its current stage of development to sustain its current rate of economic growth by turning more inward, leveraging tevhnical skill to service the domestic market, perhaps shift away from being as export oriented?

White populations are deciding they have had enough of globalism for now but it is a boon to Indians to be able to compete on a level playing field in global markets. So it may surely be necessary to forge economic relationships elsewhere and be creative, but also to look at Indian potential to grow by focusing on domestic consumption and perhaps greater focus on growing the middle-class in India, no? I am a layperson here, so I can merely speculate. Is there any apparent strategy for India to accomplish this in the intermediate future?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  9. PeegooFeng41

PeegooFeng41 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    You see, there is no single united 'White Person Community', they are as much diverse and divided as we are in India. You need to pick and choose where you want to go, places where you may be more welcome than not. You go to Washington, you are more likely to be welcomed by open arms than say in Alabama. You are more likely to fit into Canada than say in Austria.

Ultimately, even in India we have places where someone can fit in easily than other. You are from Bihar, you will fit in easily in Delhi and around rather in Tamil Nadu and so on. Living in India actually trains you about immigration without even leaving the country.

Coming to domestic economy of India, I believe there was and always place in economy to grow, it is just that depending upon economic weather the avenues are different. I know someone who runs a freight forwarding business. He got his biggest break in 2008 because he was able to offer cheap shipping services when likes of DHL were not able to lean-up fast enough. I know folks who made a pretty penny writing India specific features for Nokia and Motorola; independently. I know people who have lately sold their shops and converted few rooms of their home into ware house to offer more discount on e-commerce. It is all about adjusting to realities.