Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Japan's largest warship to join India, US in South China Sea naval exercise

Discussion in 'China & Asia Pacific' started by lca-fan, Mar 13, 2017.

1. lca-fan

lca-fan Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Japan's largest warship to join India, US in South China Sea naval exercise
    [​IMG]
    A helicopter lands on the Japanese helicopter carrier Izumo (Reuters file photo)
    TOKYO: Japan plans to dispatch its largest warship on a three-month tour through the South China Sea beginning in May, sources said, in its biggest show of naval force in the region since World War Two.

China claims almost all the disputed waters and its growing military presence has fuelled concern in Japan and the West, with the United States holding regular air and naval patrols to ensure freedom of navigation.

The Izumo helicopter carrier, commissioned only two years ago, will make stops in Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines and Sri Lanka before joining the Malabar joint naval exercise with Indian and US naval vessels in the Indian Ocean in July.

It will return to Japan in August, the sources said.

"The aim is to test the capability of the Izumo by sending it out on an extended mission," said one of the sources who have knowledge of the plan. "It will train with the US Navy in the South China Sea," he added, asking not to be identified because he is not authorized to talk to the media.

A spokesman for Japan's Maritime Self Defence Force declined to comment.

Taiwan, Malaysia, Vietnam, the Philippines and Brunei also claim parts of the sea which has rich fishing grounds, oil and gas deposits and through which around $5 trillion of global sea-borne trade passes each year.

Japan does not have any claim to the waters, but has a separate maritime dispute with China in the East China Sea.

Japan wants to invite Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, who has pushed ties with China in recent months as he has criticised the old alliance with the United States, to visit the Izumo when it visits Subic Bay, about 100 km (62 miles) west of Manila, another of the sources said.

Asked during a news conference about his view on the warship visit, Duterte said, without elaborating, "I have invited all of them."

He added: "It is international passage, the South China Sea is not our territory, but it is part of our entitlement."

On whether he would visit the warship at Subic Bay, Duterte said: "If I have time."

Japan's flag-flying operation comes as the United States under President Donald Trump appears to be taking a tougher line with China. Washington has criticized China's construction of man-made islands and a build-up of military facilities that it worries could be used to restrict free movement.

Beijing in January said it had "irrefutable" sovereignty over the disputed islands after the White House vowed to defend "international territories".

The 249 metre-long (816.93 ft) Izumo is as large as Japan's World War Two-era carriers and can operate up to nine helicopters. It resembles the amphibious assault carriers used by US Marines, but lacks their well deck for launching landing craft and other vessels.

Japan in recent years, particularly under Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, has been stretching the limits of its post-war, pacifist constitution. It has designated the Izumo as a destroyer because the constitution forbids the acquisition of offensive weapons. The vessel, nonetheless, allows Japan to project military power well beyond its territory.

Based in Yokosuka, near to Tokyo, which is also home to the US Seventh Fleet's carrier, the Ronald Reagan, the Izumo's primary mission is anti-submarine warfare.

http://m.timesofindia.com/world/res...e-in-south-china-sea/articleshow/57618733.cms

2. lca-fan

lca-fan Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    China to experience gang bang from US, India & Japan in near future, if it doesn't mend its ways.

@Levina @Abingdonboy @nair@MilSpec @Gessler @Robinhood Pandey @randomradio @vstol jockey@Hellfire @NS52@BlackOpsIndia@Rain Man@Grevion@Nilgiri @GSLV Mk III@SrNair @dadeechi @Ankit Kumar 001@kaku1 @Golden_Rule@IndiranChandiran @Lion of Rajputana@thesolar65 @Sathya@ButterChicken@AbRaj @Agent_47 @bharathp@Aqwoyk @GuardianRED@PeegooFeng41 @Indx TechStyle@Ved Mishra @ni8mare @A_poster@Itachi @drunken-monke@Kalmuahlaunda @zebra7 @Marqueur@PARIKRAMA

3. cuibw99

cuibw99 FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    China
    21 years before, 1996, Chinese economy was still weak, Chinese air force and navy was approximately equaling to zero. US sent two fully armed aircraft carriers along with more than 40 battle ships to Taiwan supporting Lee teng-hui. China was not scared, but remembered this humiliation. Motivated by this shame, China got today's achievement. So I don't think a joint military exercise conducted by US, Japan and India is able to get China scared or compromised, even more severe and direct threatening.

4. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    The cooperation needs to be expanded with South Korea, Australia and Singapore now. Maybe Vietnam too.

That way we tie down a major Chinese Force in the east in case of a conflict and can easily take care of a useless nation towards our west.

5. cuibw99

cuibw99 FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    China
    Based on my limited knowledge, I am not sure whether the military cooperation crossing multiple country is a efficient way to achieve this goal or not, but I think it is at least not a easy job, especially under the condition China continuously expanding its global influence in both economic and military area.

For China itself, I think more pressure is better than no pressure. If China wants to continuously grow fast, more severe pressure is required. But anyway, I don't think China want to be the enemy with neighbors, so win-win solution with neighbors should always be firstly selected if there is.

6. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    Let me be frank. Border issues are not a big thing between India and China. Atleast for us.
    Despite what media says, we have maintained peace on the borders with China for decades now. Not a single bullet has been fired.

But the problem starts when China starts getting over assertive and starts supporting the Jihadist openly.

Remember these jihadists whom China is directly helping have killed innocents here. And with or without your help, we will ensure they find their way to hell. If

As for military capabilities, The movement we talk of making an alliance to counter China, we are recognising your new military capability.

7. cuibw99

cuibw99 FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    China
    yes, agree, border issue is not big thing for now. For supporting Jihadist, I never heard about this before. I will do some search to get more background information.

8. Vyom

Vyom Captain GEO STRATEGIC ANALYST

If are trying to search for News articles from within China, that incriminate Chinese Government outright support to Pakistani Jihadist called "Masood Azhar" in United Nation who carried out terrorist attacks in India .

My best wishes are with you.

1. Hope you are able to bypass the Great Internet Firewall of China
    2. Hope you are not arrested by 610 Office and tortured to death for trying to do so.
    or You are a member of Zhōngguó Gòngchăndǎng Zhōngyāng Wěiyuánhuì Xuānchuánbù and you are just spreading your party's words. In that case do whatever you please.

Chinese :

如果你想搜索来自中国内部的新闻文章,那将导致中国政府彻底支持巴基斯坦圣战分子在联合国称为马苏德阿兹哈尔,他在印度进行恐怖袭击。

我最好的祝福是与你在一起。

希望你能绕过中国的伟大互联网防火墙
    希望你不被610办公室逮捕,并试图这样做折磨死刑。
    或者你是中共中央宣传部的成员,你只是散布你的党的话。 在这种情况下,做任何你喜欢的。

(原谅不好的中文)

9. IndiranChandiran

IndiranChandiran BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    So, how come all powerful China hasn't taken over Taiwan now that it's a super power ?

Cut the bullshit, invade Taiwan & end this narrative .If for nothing else than to save us this drivel of a century of humiliation or is it a century & a half of humiliation now ?

10. cuibw99

cuibw99 FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    China
    I didn't say China is a supper power. I just said China got achievement, the achievement comparing with what China was 20-30 years before. Even the achievement is remarkable(at least from my point of view), China is still far way from having the ability to compete with US. Peacefully getting the Taiwan problem resolved is always what China expects unless Taiwan claims independence or other nation forcibly intervene. So, for short, not strong enough should be the reason why this problem hasn't been resolved yet.

Yes, this is definitely a way to resolve the Taiwan problem, no matter whether China win or loss. Either China gets Taiwan back or China is forced to admit Taiwan a independent country. But negative impact is also huge no matter win or loss. One of the Chinese ancient military theory is that using strategy and diplomatic approach to achieve the goal without opening the war is much more better than conquering opponent in battlefield. A enough strong nation is required for the first option, but China is still not there yet. Opening the war is the last option China is going to select, but it doesn't mean China won't do it. If the two scenarios I mentioned above happens, I believe Chinese government won't be hesitate to resolve this problem via military approach.

For my personal perspective, as long as Chinese mainland and Taiwan is one country, no matter the country is called Republic of China or called People Republic of China.

Precisely 177 years from 1840. The modern history of China is extremely heavy to every Chinese people. Because of the stupidity of our own, we were conquered and split by powerful nations, burned by file, trampled by iron heel, slaved and killed like animal. What China had been doing and has been doing is getting ourselves standing up. We still not reach the destination and we are on the way toward it.

11. cuibw99

cuibw99 FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    China
    Thank you very much for the information. I will search for this guy later.

I think the approach bypassing GFW is already common knowledge of many Chinese people. Almost everybody around me know how to do it.

Thank you very much for the kindly reminding. Actually, China is indeed not that terrible. It is absolutely no problem to search anything from internet without the risk to be arrested. The only thing GFW might do is either RST the connection or hijacking the DNS request to return a wrong ip address.

No I am not the party member, and I only represent myself.

12. cuibw99

cuibw99 FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    China
    Based on my search For Masood Azhar, there are some discussion on it from several different CN domestic forums, but the information is not rich. I think majority Chinese people don't know who he is even his name was sure appeared in TV News. This is make sense since this guys is really not a person whom common Chinese people(like me) like to care about.

I feel that Chinese people do widely consider him as a terrorist but with the different opinions against Chinese government's action for technical postponing to label him as a terrorist, some support government and some other question government .

The surface story which I got is as follow:
    1. The military camp in Kashmir was under attacked.
    2. India thought that Masood Azhar should be responsible.
    3. Pakistani house arrested Masood Azhar and asked for concrete evidence from India for proving the attack is sure carried out by Masood Azhar.
    4. India couldn't provide the concrete evidence so that Pakistani released this guy.
    5. Then India directly asked UN to label this guy as a terrorist.
    6. China asked India to provide concrete evidence showing the direct relationship between Masood Azhar and this attack, but India again didn't provide.
    7. In China's public statement, making decision based on the concrete evidence is the only standard China has always been following.
    8. Then China technically postponed to label Masood Azharas a terrorist until there are concrete evidence provided.
    Behind the surface, I think the decision made by China is came out throughout carefully evaluation on the Prod and Cons of different options, but I don't think China is really supporting Masood Azhar.

From some CN domestic military forums, some people think it is related with India's attitude on Dalai, some people think the organization of Masood Azhar is more like anti-government military group which attacks military facilities, not like the terrorism group attacking the common citizen, some other people think it is for protecting Pakistani Since China does have lots of benefit in Pakistani. One of the persons mentioned that the purpose of Masood Azhar is having Kashmir independent, which has nothing related with China. Under the situation without having concrete evidence, it is unnecessary that China involves into the conflict between India and the splittist. An solution also proposed for India to solve this problem: Sending out assassin since everybody know Masood Azhar is in Karachi.