Kaveri Engine Program : News and Updates

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by BlueOval, Aug 9, 2010.

?

what type of engine should we have attempted as our first one??

Poll closed Jan 5, 2017.
  1. variable cycle engine

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. conventional engine

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Indx TechStyle

Indx TechStyle Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    No :cry:
    You do think I will spend a considerable amount of money on this piece? :D
    That's why I suggested interested people only.
    Wait, I'm trying to find something else.

Blackjay likes this.
  2. Blackjay

Blackjay 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Sorry.I thought you are a member or something.:angel:
    It is too pricy.:confused:

Indx TechStyle likes this.
  3. lca-fan

lca-fan Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Kaveri engine powered LCA-Tejas by 2018-19 could be reality

Published February 1, 2017 SOURCE: IDRW NEWS NETWORK India’s stalled Kaveri gas turbine engine developed for combat planes received a major boost after leading French defence manufacturer Safran agreed to help revive the Kaveri project and make it combat-worthy in 18 months was cleared by Ministry of Defence (MOD) as offset obligation on 36 Rafale fighter jet deal. As per Industrial sources, close to idrw.org. LCA-Tejas Prototype will be used to start Ground trials and by 2018, DRDO plans to integrate Kaveri engine into the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft. Once engine clears few certification and safety related aspects only then, LCA-Tejas will be cleared to make its first flight with indigenously developed Kaveri engine which according to DRDO should happen by 2020. DRDO and Safran plan to start integration work by end of 2018 or early 2019 and major ground trials with Kaveri engine will be scheduled for major part of 2019 before its first flight by 2020. Defence Analyst Ranesh Rajan speaking to idrw.org thinks that certification of Kaveri with LCA-Tejas might go on for nearly 5-6 years before the engine can be cleared by for mass production. IAF is supporting the project and is keen that Kaveri engine is developed so that can help replace American supplied General Electric F404 engine in future.

http://idrw.org/kaveri-engine-powered-lca-tejas-by-2018-19-could-be-reality/

So looks like Kaveri engine development is completed by Safran now they are getting it ready for integration to LCA which also is the same time frame as LCA MK1A. And delivery of RAFALES.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  4. halloweene

halloweene Major STRATEGIST

5. Grevion

Grevion Professional Think TROLL FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    But that's too low. If we are talking about the mk1a or mk2 we are looking at the minimum thrust of 90-95kn.

@PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy one basic question - we have been talking about the k-9 and k-10 engine projects for the indigenously developed AMCA could it be that the Kaveri-Snemca joint venture is actually the k-9 out which a higher thrust variant(k-10) will be developed for the AMCA?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    PARIKRAMA likes this.
  6. PARIKRAMA

PARIKRAMA Fire Breathing Dragon Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    The latest AMCA plan is with Russian Roscosmos help which they wish to use all tech from PAKFA via KRET. The plan talks abt a mach 2-2.5+ high speed .. for such speeds they require bigger engines and thus will compromise on stealth aspect in order to attain overall requirements..

So unless India plans a case clearly saying Engine is Kaveri, everyone will push for their own engine choice and thus it will never be our own plane .. we had been discussing that (@Agent_47 @Abingdonboy @Ankit Kumar 001 ) and we all were of the same opinion that having such a plane where dependency is foreign OEM/partner then this plan will compromise AMCA development for sure.. unfortunately our own investment for tech of AMCA is limited.. and we still have not talked with folks like Dassault and said "how about a all IWB version of Rafale" and let's do development together.. but yet we see lots of offer from Russia and others to offer a JV route for AMCA.

Personally I am against any Russian JV for AMCA.. in fact I am also against any foreign engine.. we should invest more, take time but try to make AMCA as much possible via in house route.. in case we do need help or off the shelf purchase, we should try and take help not from USA and Russia on this.. now since UK is with Turkey for 5th gen project, I certainly feel a Rafale NG with IWBs can fit into Indian requirements but then let's see how it plays out..

Ankit Kumar 001 and Grevion like this.
  7. shaktimaan

shaktimaan 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    But i read somewhere that they will start development from jan 2017 and major work will start after signing of offsets

8. Indx TechStyle

Indx TechStyle Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    All I know that at least 115kN thrust (each engine) is needed for AMCA.

9. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Remember IAF never asked for uprated engine, IN did. IAF is ok with GE404 class thrust.

Grevion likes this.
  10. Grevion

Grevion Professional Think TROLL FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    But still if you look at it the jointly developed kaveri will take 3-4 years from now for flight testing and validation, about the same time when the first mk-2 prototype/TD will be rolled out. Wouldn't it be better to have a mark 2 tejas with a tested home engine then another GE 404 variant?

11. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    That is the plan.

12. lca-fan

Country Flag:
    India
  13. AbRaj

AbRaj Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Not official. Just rumors I guess

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  14. lca-fan

Country Flag:
    India
    We started with rumor about France & Safran helping India in jet engine technology, especially getting Kaveri ready in 4 years. It was being discussed only on this forum with Parikrama and Vstol who gave insider information that in lieu of bigger Rafale order Snecma will be helping us getting Kaveri ready in 4 years and in general jet engine technology will be passed on to India. No other forum was even discussing this and when I put this story there their reaction ws also like this is rumor no one will give their crowning jewel technology but it is now true.

Remember France and Dassault have only 1 to 1-1/2 years time before 2019 election to sign the Raafale MII deal for bigger deal before that they have to demonstrate working Kaveri engine which they will by next year itself.

Also old hindi saying, "Aag hai tabhi dhuan Hai".

PARIKRAMA, Abingdonboy, AbRaj and 3 others like this.
  15. Sathya

Sathya 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    so changes are needed in rear fuselage,
    like @PARIKRAMA said, LCA need to get ready for safran kaveri engine , otherwise even after engine got ready integration may take more time.

so here it is LCA is gearing up..:biggthumpup: