Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Kerala: Plea against Congress MP for remarks against judiciary

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by DaRk KnIght, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

New Delhi: A group of Supreme Court lawyers today petitioned the Chief Justice of India to initiate contempt action against the Congress MP K Sudharakan for his remarks levelling charges of bribery and corruption against a Supreme Court judge.

The memorandum said the recent speech by the MP amount to contempt and the apex court must initiate contempt action against Sudhakaran.

At a public function, K Sudhakaran claimed he had knowledge of a Supreme Court judge receiving a bribe of 36 lakh rupees in 1994. This was allegedly to get a favourable verdict by a single judge bench in a case seeking restoration of cancelled bar licences. The MP however refused to name the judge.

"When the Kerala High Court cancelled 21 bar licences, to get it revoked from the Supreme Court, a judge of the apex court was bribed. I am witness to it," said K Sudhakaran.

He made this speech after the apex court convicted former Kerala Minister Balakrishna Pillai in a corruption case and sent him to one year jail term.

Kerala: Plea against Congress MP for remarks against judiciary

2. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Expected Answers?? :wink:

3. infinity

infinity FULL MEMBER

iss Hammam me saab naage hai

4. SpArK

SpArK SorCeroR Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

That politician is a big loud mouth..

Anyway Kerala politics is in a mess with allegations and counter allegations and politicians busy over giving flamery statements after statements through media.

Congress is in a sort of mess with their coalition partners ...but they will still win the assembly elections as its the tradition of here to choose alternative fronts to form the governments.

5. Capt.Popeye

Capt.Popeye Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Somehow i get the feeling that politics in Kerala is all about changing Fronts; all because the politicos are intent on watching their Backs, most of all they are fixated on is what can be below their Bottoms- the Big Chair!

6. Osiris

Osiris Major SENIOR MEMBER

Ex-SC judge Pandian denies bribe charge, Kerala hotelier says Vayalar Ravi got bribe too

The allegation by Congress MP from Kerala, K Sudhakaran, that a former Supreme Court judge received payoffs in a case involving liquor licences, is snowballing into a major controversy.

The judge has come out to deny the charges and a bar owner has not only accused Sudhakaran of brokering the payoff deal, he has also named Union Minister Vayalar Ravi as one of the recipients of the alleged kickbacks.

Justice S R Pandian, former acting Chief Justice of the Madras High Court who retired from the apex court 17 years ago, called the charges “baseless and mischievous” but admitted that he did know a person who is alleged to be his middleman.

Sudhakaran had alleged that a Supreme Court judge accepted Rs 36 lakh as a bribe in 1994 — in two instalments of Rs 21 lakh and Rs 15 lakh — to lift a Kerala High Court ban on 21 liquor bar licences in the state, but refused to name the judge.

Although the MP claimed he would name the judge only in court, a hotelier from his constituency of Kannur, Jose Illikkal, went ahead and alleged that Pandian was the judge and claimed that he (the judge) operated through a middleman named Dharma Prakash.

Calling this “uncharitable” allegation “totally baseless, false and very mischievous,” the retired judge told The Indian Express from his Chennai residence: “Now that the court is seized with the matter, I will wait for more information. Then I will decide what course of action is to be taken against them...I have to take action (against those who raised the charges). What kind of a person have I become in public perception? Only God will understand my agony.”

“Was I the single judge in the case or was it a Division Bench hearing it? Every time, I have passed orders only on the basis of the merit of the case,” he said.

He said he had not even seen Sudhakaran — the MP claimed he was present when money changed hands — but admitted he did know Dharma Prakash.

“His was the only hotel in Anna Nagar (where the judge resides) which I used to visit occasionally,” said Pandian.

Illikkal has claimed that Sudhakaran was not a mere spectator but a “real facilitator” in the deal between the bar licensees and the judge. A former partner of Geetha Bar Hotel in Kannur, Illikkal told reporters today that Sudhakaran facilitated the transfer of the payoff to the judge. Illikkal said Geetha was one of the 21 bars which got the licence from the then Congress government.

Illikkal claimed Sudhakaran got his friend Dharma Prakash — a businessman from Chennai — to act as the intermediary and pay Rs 26 lakh to the Supreme Court judge in two instalments of Rs 21 lakh and Rs 5 lakh. This is Rs 10 lakh lower than the Rs 36 lakh figure mentioned by the MP.

Illikkal also claimed that Vayalar Ravi, then Congress chief in Kerala and now a Union Cabinet minister, had been given Rs 10 lakh; then Chief Minister K Karunakaran Rs 10 lakh and Excise Minister Raghuchandra Bal Rs 10 lakh for securing the bar licence.

The money for Karunakaran was paid through his daughter Padmaja Venugopal, now a party leader, he alleged.

CPM state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan said a case should be registered against Ravi, Padmaja and Bal based on Illikal’s statements.

Opposition leader Oommen Chandy said it was not proper on the part of Vijayan to demand a probe against Ravi and other leaders based on allegations of a bar owner. When contacted, Ravi declined to comment.

Ex-SC judge Pandian denies bribe charge, Kerala hotelier says Vayalar Ravi got bribe too

7. Osiris

Osiris Major SENIOR MEMBER

first Ice cream case,Rauf,EDEMALAYAR CASE,Kothamanglam sex scandal,sudhakaran controversy look like things are much easy for LDF this time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.