Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Krishna Menon wanted to sack Manekshaw

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Soumya, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Soumya

Soumya Major STAR MEMBER

VISHAL THAPAR New Delhi | 5th Apr 2014
    [​IMG]
    Krishna Menon

[​IMG]ield Marshal Sam Manekshaw's career was almost written off as a major general after he rebuffed Defence Minister V.K. Krishna Menon's attempt to rope him in a bid to isolate the then Indian Army Chief, General K.S. Thimayya, with whom the Defence Minister openly had differences.

A new biography on Manekshaw by his long-serving military aide, Brigadier (Retd) Behram Panthaki and his wife Zenobia, brings out graphically how Manekshaw refused to be disloyal to his chief, and stood up to Menon, who then tried to fix him on frivolous grounds.

Titled Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw, The Man and His Times, the biography also discloses how a furious Sardar Patel hustled a reluctant Jawaharlal Nehru into sending the Army to Kashmir and saved the valley from Pakistani raiders in 1947. Nehru, according to this version, wanted to consult with the UN before sending in troops, even after the Maharaja of Kashmir had signed the Instrument of Accession to India.

Menon, widely considered responsible for pushing India to its military defeat at the hands of China in 1962, had sought to undermine General Thimayya, after he cautioned the Nehru government against the Menon line of military adventurism against China without adequate preparation. Thimayya offered to resign, but was persuaded by Nehru to stay on. But this did not deter Menon from attempting to subvert Thimayya. The Manekshaw biography paints a grim picture of the Defence Minister trying to create divisions within the Army in the run up to the 1962 War, and even canvassing directly with generals against the Army Chief.

In a first, detailed account of the sparring between Menon and Manekshaw, then a major general commanding 26 Division on the Ceasefire Line in the Jammu region, the biographers suggest that Menon sought to probe Manekshaw during a visit to his formation by seeking his opinion on the then Army Chief. "Mr Minister, I am not allowed to think about him. He is my Chief. Tomorrow, you will be asking my (subordinate) brigadiers and colonels what they think of me. It's the surest way to ruin the discipline of the Army. Don't do it in future," responded Manekshaw.

Menon flew into a rage and told Manekshaw to "abandon his British ways of thinking", and declared that "I can get rid of Thimayya if I want to!" Undeterred, Manekshaw acknowledged that the Defence Minister could indeed sack the Chief, but that would still not shake his resolve not to comment on the next appointee as well. Manekshaw, whose centenary was observed at a low-key function at Delhi Cantonment on 3 April, also refused to carry out Menon's orders to use soldiers as labourers for constructing deficit accommodation. He insisted that soldiers under his command would only train to fight the enemy and not be used as cheap labour.

A scorned Menon turned hostile to Manekshaw, and teamed up with the then Major General B.M. Kaul, to fix him by cooking up evidence to back up frivolous charges. A court of inquiry was ordered against Manekshaw on allegations of being an "unabashed Anglophile", too Western and, by implication, anti-Indian, of restoring and putting up in his office portraits of Robert Clive and Warren Hastings, and insulting Shivaji by saying (allegedly) that the painting of Shivaji riding a stallion was misleading because Shivaji only rode taattoos (ponies).

[​IMG]
    Sam Manekshaw

In a foreword to the biography, Manekshaw's contemporary, Lt General S.K. Sinha recounts the sordid attempts by the Menon-Kaul duo to cook up evidence against Manekshaw. Sinha was then, briefly, at the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington, where Manekshaw was the Commandant. A colonel was sent by Kaul from Army Headquarters to get instructors at the Staff College to depose against Manekshaw. This colonel was staying not at an Army mess but, strangely, at a hotel in Coonoor. Sinha too was summoned to this hotel. "When I entered the colonel's room, I found two Army instructors from the Staff College briefing the Colonel and insinuating that Sam had been indulging in 'anti-national' activities....The Colonel asked me to give similar evidence but I refused since I was not witness to any anti-national activity by Sam. The colonel was outraged and threatened to call General Kaul... I walked out of the hotel," recounts Sinha.

The charges were dismissed by a court of inquiry by the Western Army Commander, Lt General Daulet Singh, but Menon did not relent in his effort to get Manekshaw dismissed. He wrote a letter of severe displeasure and had it put on Manekshaw's service record. Kaul comes out as an inept General jealous of Manekshaw, who was a threat to his aspiration to become Army Chief.

Manekshaw's career survived this vicious assault after both Krishna Menon and Kaul met their nemesis in the 1962 War.

The biography also has a revealing account of Nehru's indecision on Kashmir, even as Pakistani raiders were within 7 km of the Srinagar airport on 26 October 1947, and Sardar Patel prevailing upon Nehru. Manekshaw, then a Lt Colonel in the Directorate of Military Operations, presented an assessment to the Defence Committee of the Cabinet that Kashmir would be lost for good if troops were not flown immediately.

"Nehru hesitated (even after the Maharaja of Kashmir acceded to India). He was concerned about the world opinion and talked about consulting the UN until an impatient Sardar wrested the initiative from him. "Jawahar, do you want Kashmir or do you want to give it away?" "Of course, I want Kashmir," was Nehru's indignant response. The Sardar turned to Sam and said, "You have your marching orders".

"At 11 am from Delhi's Safdarjung airport with six IAF and fifty Dakotas requisitioned a few days earlier from private airlines. A total of 800 sorties were flown for a fortnight. By 16 November the raiders had been repulsed from the valley and Srinagar and the airport were secured although engagement with infiltrators in the rest of Kashmir and along the border continued for another 14 months," the book states.

Krishna Menon wanted to sack Manekshaw

sangos likes this.
  2. CountryFirst2

CountryFirst2 Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

This is why I respect Krishna Menon. Saw through the bull of everyone. For the unenlightened: The Parsis were always loyal to the british, not India. They were all anglophiles since they were given business for their anti-Indian activities like running drug trade, etc for the British. All the accomplices of the british in the drug trade were parsis except for a few Indians like Ram Mohan Roy, etc.

And Menon's strategy on China was to invite China to ground where we had advantage, since we didn't have any gear to fight in mountains. Nehru was the sole reason we got defeated, the person who rushed India to war in unprepared areas and without any training and stock. Krishna Menon is one of the finest intellectual kerala produced, his 8-9(!) hour speech in the UN alone is what turned the world's favour towards India in the kashmir issue and secured a positive resolution in our favour. Just check his 8 hour speech, you'll be mesmerised. The reason we read bad history on him is Congress propaganda to protect Nehru dynasty and hide their mistakes. Krishna Menon was simply made scapegoat by them. He is a great patriot.

About the parsis, had it been a war against the anglos, they would defect anyday. They won't mind killing Indians if the british told them too. They're loyal to British and Rothschild, not India. Because the rothschild banking cartel and British made them rich. before that they were a nobody doing shoe polishing, etc.

3. Zeus_@21

Zeus_@21 Major SENIOR MEMBER

Menon didn't used the entire fleet of air force. Why?? Kept it grounded in fear of retaliation even though Chinese were lacking air power at that time.

And you view on Sam Manekshaw is dubious. In 1971 British were with the US in their quest to support Pak. Why didn't he defected then??

GSLV Mk III and AccessDenied like this.
  4. sangos

sangos Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Looks like this Menon fellow did not get laid for a while:ph34r:

5. venureddy

venureddy Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    when congress is in power they dot want to see armed forces popularity raising as they fear that it will prompt the army to coup aganist them for their inefficiency i wonder why the army is not allowed to take its own decisions even when it is very important.

6. CountryFirst2

Rothschild alone made them cash rich and lifted them u
    Put it this way: If the whole Indian Amy was filled with Parsis, they will invade and slave India again at the request of the British/Rothschild bankers. We never needed a Parsi to look after us. Our men are capable. Putting a Parsi as head was a strategic risk considering their history.

7. CountryFirst2

You should listen to one of his speeches, or an interview. You wouldn't show such disrespect again. There's a reason why I said he's one of the finest intellectual Kerala produced.

8. sangos

sangos Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    For sure please post a link am all ears. Meant no disrespect, just expression of frustration for 62.

9. Zeus_@21

Zeus_@21 Major SENIOR MEMBER

Not the case for Sam Manekshaw. Menon did it wrong and paid the price in 62. He should have allowed the military planners to make decisions instead of dangling in his own feet.

In case of war, experience counts and don't forget that Mr. Sam Manekshaw was a WW2 veteran.

10. ajithharish

ajithharish 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    What nonsense. Whoever says we could have used Air Force and won based on NAK Browne (Pro-USA, Anglo-Indian's Bullshit Myopic) logic has completely lost it. Chinese had J-5's and J-6's which were copies of very good MiG-17s and MiG-19s. They had 2600 superior aircraft. They possibly would have been trained better as well. We would have been completely decimated. The war would have escalated. Please dont make such ludicrous comments

11. AccessDenied

AccessDenied Captain SENIOR MEMBER

For an air-force that was consisted of more commie peasants than pilots- who barely knew how to fly; 'decimating' world-war veteran Indian forces would have been a tall task indeed. Not using air-power was a serious mistake.

GSLV Mk III and Zeus_@21 like this.
  12. visciousIndian

visciousIndian REGISTERED

It was all Nehru's mistake. He was a traitor who just stood and watched China invading through Tibet until they reached our borders, like a fool. He blamed it on Krishna Menon only to save his on face. As far as I understand, Krishna Menon was an extra intelligent intellect who created alot of problem for the anglophile traitors in our nation. The west was angry with Krishna Menons pro-Soviet stand and for having thwarted their plan to give Kashmir to Pakistan.

I'm from Kerala. I live near the cochin port where Vikrant is being build.

13. visciousIndian

?? As far as I understand, we had a superior air force and navy with aircraft carrier who could lunch attacks from the Bay of Bengal and also geography to our advantage. The Chinese could not attack us even if they had the 2000 airplanes, since the airplanes had to first reach Kashmir to launch an attack, which is tough even today for modern Chinese fighters, and that too with the new airfields they have near to our borders.

14. visciousIndian

@ajithharish I see you have a professional background. What is your take on India-Israel alliance??

15. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Krishna Menon was a total Idiot,
    he is one of the main reasons we lost to china