Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

LCA Tejas Multirole Aircraft

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Dark_Prince, Apr 14, 2010.

1. flanker143

flanker143 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Good to see this, but these are dumb bombs, is there going to be enough space for when these bombs have guidance kits on ?

Also i would have loved to see quad 500lbs/250lbs bombs on a single pylon (2 in front nd 2 at back), after all this is a light mrca which will rarely be used for heavy strikes as we have better planes for that job.

Imo we are pretty slow in the weapons integration dept and kind of in the wrong direction aswell.

Abingdonboy and R!CK like this.
  2. ranadd

ranadd 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I do not and will not equate LCA as a failure under no circumstance. I do work for one of our premier heavy engineering firms. Few of our divisions are LRU's for the LCA project.

I have close friends and former colleagues in HAL and DRDO as well. :D

Abingdonboy and R!CK like this.
  3. rockstar

rockstar 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Will have short range A2aweapons.

I think it means 2 R-73s, 2 munitions each in two stations and one each in other stations, so total of 6.

4. rockstar

It will help to store more jets in combinations in AC, + operational cost effectiveness instead of double engined jets.

5. rockstar

You mean to say LCA MK2 is dead?

6. R!CK

R!CK 2nd Lieutant REGISTERED

Country Flag:
    India
    Except that it might not do both.

1. Deck Space in an AC

a) MiG 29 K

Wing Span = 11.4 m (37 ft 3 in)
    Folded Span = 7.8m (25 ft 7 in)

b) Tejas

Wing Span = 8.20 m (26 ft 11 in)

Since wingspan is the only relevant comparison required between both the aircraft for deck Space, it is quite clear that MiG 29 K with their folding mechanism occupies much smaller footprint compared to Tejas which lacks a similar mechanism.

2. Operational Effectiveness

While I admit the obvious operational cost savings on operating a single engine aircraft, the added risk of operating a single engine over a dual engine aircraft over sea can't be ignored. It is the same reason why HAL LUH won't be selected to serve IN's NUH category. Not to mention that the added burden of operating multiple types of aircraft also requires maintenance crew and equipment for each type. For the small carriers we operate, multiple aircraft types aren'the the most operationally sensible.

Good Day!

Abingdonboy and rockstar like this.
  7. flanker143

flanker143 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

IMO the reason we are not focusing all effort on amca is because ADA that is having trouble(delays) developing tejas, cannot be trusted with developing a fifth gen aircraft, which will be a far more complex task.
    So ADA has to deliver on tejas then only it can start any serious work on amca.

to be honest i have some doubts regarding the tejas mk1A
    1- mk1A can take fe404, whose production line has been shut down , so who is going to pay for restarting that line for mk1A ?
    2- if mk1A is made to be the definitive version what would happen to the 99 fe414s whose deliveries have already started ?
    3- Ada has already stated that they can put self protection suite only on a pod (as there is simply not internal volume for that) which means that it will always have an extra aerodynamic strain. this is a ad-hoc approach at its best.

a point can be made that some problems will get sorted if safran can get kaveri to work in this limited time frame. But all this depends on a big IF !!

i think that mk1A will eventually become the mk2 and mk2 will be the version that will be bought in numbers, which should have been the case from the get go.

imho tejas project is suffering from serious management issues that need to be sorted out if we want to expect a good outcome from this project.

I have no shame in putting myself in fanboy category, and all i want is to see a kickass homegrown fighter in IAF colors, (in good numbers) is this too much to ask for ?

as of now tejas is pulling fancy maneuvers at airshows which is nice but i am not seeing a capable weapons integrated fighter in near future especially with ADAs adhoc approach.

R!CK likes this.
  8. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Yes, They now have only two projects of their own in hand. AMCA and LCA MK1A. There will be no LCA MK2 or N-LCA. The Kaveri engine upgraded with Safran help will more than meet the needs of LCA.

Abingdonboy, surya kiran and R!CK like this.
  9. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    MK2 & N-LCA are dead.

10. BON PLAN

BON PLAN Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    France
    To stop the Tejas will be an error.
    I think the job remaining to make it a frontline fighter is small. The plane exists. with some limitations, but it is.

You need to finish the Tejas, so as to learn all the lessons before working hard on AMCA.

It will be incredible India not able to make a light plane to oppose to JF17 !

MilSpec, Abingdonboy and R!CK like this.
  11. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    Tejas is being made and it will emerge a more potent platform compared to what Mk2 is supposed to be with weight reduction and SAFRAN JV for Kaveri upgrade.

Abingdonboy, BON PLAN and R!CK like this.
  12. rockstar

I think weight will also play an important role(??)

Also note, F-35 is a single engined jet suppose to replace F-18.

13. Grevion

Grevion Professional Think Troll IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    Sorry for my Ignorance sir but is the SAFRAN help in the Kaveri program really happening??
    If it is then what are the areas where the safran inputs will make the Kaveri engine up and running?

14. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    Yes, please wait for 2-3 months to get a clarity.

What is the alternative for navy?

Abingdonboy, BON PLAN and Grevion like this.
  15. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    Rafale-M

Gessler, Inactive, BON PLAN and 2 others like this.