Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

LCA Tejas Multirole Aircraft

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Dark_Prince, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Ripcord322

Ripcord322 Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

Well the Mk2 is coming no sooner than 2030...So Mk2 for IAC-1 makes no sense...

The Naval RAFALE or the M-29K is most likely to be selected as the air component of IAC-1

2. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    My statement about Mk2 had nothing to do with LSA. I have spent all the money from my own pocket in LSA design and not even a penny from public has been used in it. Your estimate is ten years more for LSA, My estimates are just three yrs for certification.
    Regarding Mk2, why I wrote that post was bcoz even with higher thrust engine, Mk2 will have lower TWR compared to Mk1A. MK2 will gain weight of around 8oo kgs over MK1A and will also have about 600kgs of additional fuel while the thrust will rise by only 800kgs or 8KN approx. It will be wider by about 35cms and longer by one meter which will change its drag polar values.
    IMHO, MK1A with uprated Kaveri will be a better and more potent product compared to Mk2 due its smaller size, lesser empty weight and better overall performance. Trying to make MK2 equal to Rafale will make it reach no where. it will end up being a dud. Please also remember that tailless delta designs are good cruisers and worst payload lifters and even worse dogfighters.

3. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    Do you know how badly ADA has been wasting govt funds? Mk1-17 built as prototypes with different designations. Only three delivered as operational till date. Mk1A is still under design stage, AMCA under design stage, MK2 under design stage. They have not be able to deliver MK1 FOC in last 34 years and you trust them to deliver MK2 in next five years. I must say you are really a very optimistic guy.

Agent_47, AbRaj, bharathp and 4 others like this.
  4. lca-fan

lca-fan Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    BENGALURU: Defence and security company Saab has offered a fighter sensor package for the homegrown Tejas LCA Mk1A fighter aircraft.

The package consists of a state-of-the-art Saab Airborne Electronically Scanned Array fighter radar closely integrated with a compact electronic warfare suite using Gallium Nitride based AESA technology, the company said.

Saab, in partnership with Indian industry, offers a solution that will bring the required AESA Fighter radar and Electronic warfare capability to India and the Indian Air Force, it said.

The AESA fighter radar is developed by Saab with antenna technology based on the latest technologies using Gallium Nitride (GaN) and Silicone Carbide (SiC) substrates in combination with the latest generation of exciter/receiver and processor technology, giving optimum installed performance in a dense signal environment, it said.

The radar has a complete model suite which includes air-to-air, air-to-ground and air-to-sea capabilities, a Saab release said.

A built-in memory provides a tool to record a large amount of data from performed flights.

Integration in the LCA Mk1A fighter aircraft is enabled by the limited space, power and cooling required, it said.

The EW suite consists of sensors and transmitters developed by Saab and is a highly capable and extremely compact solution that provides essential situational awareness and self-protection, the release said.

The heart of the suite is an electronic warfare receiver which is connected to a front end receiver and fin tip antennas inside the aircraft, it added.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...or-package-for-tejas-fighter-jet-1570885.html

AbRaj and PARIKRAMA like this.
  5. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    got his goat I must say.

I also disagree with the fact with LCA's iterations we should not look for LSA. IMO, LSA has its own use -at the very least, it will give us technologies to incorporate into other projects (am looking at stealth UAVs), and at the most optimistic end, it will be able to replace all low end + medium end fighters after the LCA iterations (commonality of parts to make it much easier to change the production lines) and transition even the lower end fighters from a 4 gen to 5 gen tech.

AbRaj and vstol jockey like this.
  6. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    here is Cmde C.D. Balaji, chief at the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) (met with Livefist at the Aero India show for a chat on the programme.)

heres the link: http://www.livefistdefence.com/2017/02/exclusive-indias-5th-gen-amca-targets-2030.html

7. Immanuel

Immanuel 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

If they are planning for the LCA mk-2 PV to be ready by end 2019, it's not bad at all, they should be able to achieve FOC by 2022. IAC-1 will be ready end 2018 and will use the Mig-29s. IN should begin work on upgrading its mig-29k fleet with AESA and other goodies and order 15 more i.e take the fleet size to 60, more than adequate for the INS Vikky and IAC.

8. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    Buddy, You have not read the statement of Cmde Balaji, He himself has stated 2025 as the time frame for Mk2 first flight. Now I do not think between us and Balaji, anyone here knows better.

9. Immanuel

We can go on this topic in circles, LCA's delay is mostly due to the bastardly approach to it by the Imported Airforce. Things are different for LCA now and they will have to perform to survive, they know that. I am optimistic but you take it to a whole new level by believing your paper plane will be ready for squadron service in the Imported Airforce in 5 years. You might as well start your company outside India and pitch it, LSA has better chance of surviving the first test. 'Imported' Check.

10. Immanuel

11. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    I think we have been discussing LCA on this thread. We have a separate thread for LSA. And yes, you are right. LSA is a paper plane just like Sea Gripen, Rafale-M & F-18SH modified for Vikky and IAC-1. They all will need redesign and recertification to operate from these two carriers. Amongst all of them, LSA will have highest payload from STOBAR with much larger range and weapon mix.
    Can someone repost the interview with Balaji here? The same Livefist which reported that Naval requirement is a two horse race between Rafale & F-18 has now amended to say that even in RFP, they will not lay down the condition for twin engine. I had stated it in as many words here. You do not know why there is no mention of number of engines and you also do not know which aircraft will win it. But I do have some inclination. LSA is much more than a paper plane as on date.

Dagger and randomradio like this.
  12. Immanuel

Dude, all your know how and intelligence gets washed away when you state 3 years for certification in the Indian environment. Nuff said!!

ranadd likes this.
  13. Immanuel

Who cares what the RFP says, the fact is the LCA mk-2 will most likely fly by 2020-21 that's all that matters. IN's RFP is along the lines of MMRCA blunder of the IAF. They clearly haven't a clue what they want and on which carrier they will put them. Another headless chicken circus.

14. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    On LSA thread, many had stated the same thing and when I shared the reason for making this outlandish statement, they did agree. You do not know why LCA is suffering till date and you also do not know why it takes tens of years to make an absolutely new aircraft with the right kind of sensor mix. Rafale did its first flight sometime in mid 80s but entered service only in 2001. Was it due to hardware or the software? LCA hardware was proven in 2001. Why has it not got FOC till date? Any Idea.

Dagger likes this.
  15. Immanuel

For all the know how and maturity you seem to show, your statements on timelines for LSA are bad jokes. You haven't a clue on Project and Program management works and this blunder will more likely ensure LSA never flies let alone reach a phase of prototyping. You developed LSA all by yourself, give you credit for it while many others don't, as a test show it IAF and IN and let's see how you can manage the first of many change requests.

As said, pitch the LSA as a Single engine 5th gen fighter for beyond 2030 and work with the IAF and IN from the start to see how it evolves.