Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

LCA Tejas Multirole Aircraft

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Dark_Prince, Apr 14, 2010.

1. X_Killer

X_Killer Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Abingdonboy likes this.
  2. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Where exactly?
    Properly leading and managing the LCA development?
    Designing a fighter with drag and weight issues? Designing it too small to provide proper upgrade potential?
    Designing a suitable nose?
    Completely underestimating the NLCA design work?

3. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    How about by building an entire aerospace industry from scratch? It's easy to retrospectively criticise small details but on the whole they have done a fine job and their work will be the foundations on which India's future aviation aspirations are built. Can't expect them to have done everything perfectly especially considering the hurdles they faced.

LOL, N-LCA wasn't even a requirement when the LCA project began, that the ADA simply accepted the IN's request and pursued the N-LCA and got as far as they have is intensely impressive, to say otherwise is utterly disingenuous.

Golden_Rule and zebra7 like this.
  4. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    It could be a reboot of plain jane MCA as a proposal, which would be disastrous.
    Puppetmasters should focus on AMCA, run a limited LCAmk2 and be done with it. If anything the only other offshoot that can come out of LCA is a Lift trainer.

Sancho and Blackjay like this.
  5. Sancho

And ADA did that? Not really. Most of the tech programs were done by DRDO or HAL.

Please don't start with justifcations for failure. ADAs 2 main parts of the LCA project were design and project management. The problems in the earlier field caused years of delays, the latter was nothing short than a disaster and for both, nobody was ever held accountable.
    If you make mistakes in these core fields, there is no foundation, which is exactly why ADA has to learn from their mistakes, if AMCA should run in a better way. The first step was acknowledging that they need foreign help for AMCA!

Exactly it wasn't, ADA pushed it to IN and not the other way around, because ADA believed it was easy to navalise the fighter and there won't be many changes needed, but just as most of the LCA program parts, at the end external help was required to fix the problems, for a lot of money.

Ignoring, or downplaying the numerous mistakes and failures, this program had to suffer, won't help LCA nor any other indigenous project. We badly need accountability and rational ways to manage our project. Otherwise we will keep trailing behind for years to come.

6. MilSpec

Country Flag:
    India
    If LCA in it's 1P configuration had a full squadron in 2010. It could have been called a success.
    Last of what I have heard from a few of my buddies back home, to me it is a huge disappointment. One of the reasons for me to Join defense forum was to participate in the discourse regarding the misconceptions floating around on the internet about the Indian Aviation Industry, That was Six years ago. Back then I was defending LCA, today more often than less I find myself doing the same with the Program having next to nothing to show for it.

We can't effin catch a break on this.

Sathya and Sancho like this.
  7. MilSpec

Country Flag:
    India
    You know I am big proponent of Indian aviation industry, but I have to agree with @Sancho . There is no aerospace industry, or close to what was envisaged. Tig welding airframes is not an aerospace industry irrespective of how many Tata's swanky shop floor images people throw at me.
    these jackwads couldn't put a stinking UAV up there, It boils my blood when ADA and Drdo people talk about Aerospace ecosystem and all that.

8. Sancho

I still would consider LCA a success, if we get the currently ordered numbers inducted and do our best to fix the remaining problems, through later upgrades. But this blind denial of the problems is sadly a habit, that works more against, than for us.

9. shaktimaan

shaktimaan Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    What about design bro ?? They have design for twin engine Tejas ?? Bcz fitting two engines in existing tejas design isnt gonna much successful

Sancho likes this.
  10. X_Killer

Country Flag:
    India
    Please read my post again .

Dassault already did the same while modifying Mirage 2k to Mirage 4k, but due to high cost they stopped the Project.

Twin engine TEJAS can be successful if developers put slightly lower thurst Engine on it instead of doubling present one.

I seriously want developers should concentrate on AMCA.

11. somedude

somedude Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Afghanistan
    Not exactly. They stopped the project because it did not find any customer.

12. X_Killer

Country Flag:
    India
    I hope, we should wait for some OFFICIAL stuff.
    :coffee:

13. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    It find one customer: Saudi Arabia, but the French navy opposed the sale. At the time of the decision it was a little confidential that opposition.

14. X_Killer

Country Flag:
    India
    As per UAE , They found Tornado as more capable and cheaper than M4K, which finally leaves a void of customer to M4K

15. somedude

somedude Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Afghanistan
    I thought it was because they wanted an aircraft that was "endorsed" by its home country, so they would have gotten it if the ADLA procured it first.

I can't imagine a variable sweep wing aircraft like the Tornado would be cheaper than a simple delta. These things are maintenance nightmares.