Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

LIT's C-1: Enclosed, Self-Balancing Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Education & Research' started by sanman, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanman

sanman Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Looks cute, and it's probably cheaper than a car, with better fuel economy -- actually it's electric, with 150-mile range:

[youtube]YQgTne7TAGY[/youtube]

[youtube]Z0m-cUxMcJw[/youtube]

I could see college students or young professionals going for something like this.

Would you drive it, if the price was attractive?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. sanman

3. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    the price is the main issue with indian market. if it is attractively priced i dont think there will be shortage of people lining up to buy it

4. sanman

But yet Nano is still not selling well, in spite of an attractive price. And at least it looks like a regular 4-wheel vehicle.

Heh, I'd love to see a high-performance sport model, a la Hayabusa :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

I prefer a TVS wego. I'm using one coz I'm $hit scared of using a car in Bangalore traffic (and it gives me some 50 KMPL and gets me home in 20 mins against the one hour a car will take me). In a two wheeler I'd need situational awareness whcih the enclosed body won't be able to give.

6. sanman

They said they have a strong roll cage, to protect the driver in a collision. They also claim the gyros are strong enough to keep it upright in a collision. It also has multiple airbags. I would think that its weight is light enough that it would be pushed away by a colliding vehicle, rather than crumpling - unless it got sandwiched.

I don't see why you would need more situational awareness driving a C-1 as compared to driving a car. The C-1 is at least more enclosed and protected compared to a motorcycle.

7. sanman

I have to admit, I like the clever innovative gyro-stabilization idea for this thing:

[youtube]xdmgDgcZfvY[/youtube]

And of course it has an a kickstand for when it's turned off.
    Not sure why it has 2 doors, tho

8. sanman

9. sanman

More on the inventor:

[youtube]vd2ztw4bXI4[/youtube]

10. sanman

I wonder why Bajaj couldn't make something like this, since their main experience is in scooters? Obviously it doesn't have to be electric, but can be gas-powered like any other scooter. They can still use the clever flywheel-gyrostabilization idea, because that facilitates the fully-enclosed setup.

Here's an older type of vehicle that was introduced in the late 1960s, but which failed to take off:

Quasar (motorcycle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[youtube]MV4qVbNPX_w[/youtube]

With some design effort, Bajaj could certainly build gas-powered versions of their own, and at least they would look prettier than their ugly attempt at making a car:

[​IMG]

It's not as if you need an electric motor - a gasoline version could still make use of the flywheel gyrostabilization, while providing good acceleration and fuel economy.

LIT Motors calls its C-1 a "rolling iPhone" or "iPhone on wheels"

Consider how beneficial cellphones have been for the 3rd world, and you can see that a "cellphone on wheels" would likewise give major benefits in transportation. Here you could market to the "sub-Nano" crowd -- ie. those who are too poor to even afford a Nano. That would mainly be youth from the lower economic classes. They could commute from their remote villages to their jobs in larger towns or tier-2 cities.

Such a vehicle would be enclosed and therefore all-weather, while offering the lowest possible cost of ownership in that category. More gorgeous-looking high-end versions could also be built and marketed to young professionals and yuppies, offering air-conditioning, heating, touchscreen, etc.

The thing could even be used as an economical second car for families.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.