Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Mali crisis: UN braces itself for the wave of 700,000 fleeing

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by Virajith, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Virajith

Virajith Captain SENIOR MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Over 600 french soldiers arrived at the airport of Mali's capital Bamako

The conflict in Mali could force some 700,000 additional people to flee and look for safety inside their country or abroad, the UN refugee agency said Friday in Geneva.

Currently 229,000 people are displaced in Mali and 147,000 have fled across the border, said Melissa Fleming, spokeswoman for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

“Our new planning basis allows for additional displacement of up to 300,000 people inside Mali and 407,000 into neighbouring countries,â€￾ Ms. Fleming said.

Malian refugees in Burkina Faso told UNHCR staff that they fled because of the French military intervention, the strict application of religious law by Islamists and increasing poverty in their country.

French and West African troops are fighting to push back Islamist militants who have claimed much of the country’s north since a rebellion began last year. The intervention on late Thursday resulted in the liberation of the village of Konna.

Mali was thrown into turmoil after a coup last year that allowed separatist ethnic Tuareg rebels and Islamist hardliners to overrun the ungoverned northern desert.

Fears of a new African terrorist haven grew as the Islamists ousted the Tuareg, imposed strict Islamic law and destroyed Muslim religious sites they deemed idolatrous in the fabled city of Timbuktu.

French forces, spurred by the fall of Konna, intervened last week to stop a rebel advance on the capital, Bamako.

Source : The Hindu

2. vikas jat

vikas jat Captain SENIOR MEMBER

this direct intervening by american and us forces does not solve the problem
    because the fundamental problem will persist like this
    people will loose confidance on.local govt
    and defence forces
    govt forces will remain demoralized unequipped n untrained
    they must be trained by joint action.of african union or UN

3. Averageamerican

Averageamerican Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    The way I see it in countries like Mali, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia which become disfunctional and goverment breaks down there is going to have to be a method of deterring and destroying groups that become a threat outside their own borders. Dones mainly and speical reaction forces are the only way I can see of accomplishing that objective. I would like it to be more of an international effort but that seems to be what is happening. I want people to understand it is death to do what the militants did in Algiers. I dont see the resources for those countries to be occupied.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.