Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

MBDA Germany Successfully Tests 40 kW High-Energy Laser Demonstrator

Discussion in 'The Americas' started by Anees, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anees

Anees Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States

[​IMG]

MBDA Germany has achieved a power of 40 kW using its high-energy laser demonstrator during a laser firing campaign. The laser power generated by patented beam coupling of fibre lasers was successfully demonstrated for the first time in the world.

In the target tracking and firing tests, MBDA Germany demonstrated performance features such as the burning of mortar shells in just a few seconds. The laser with a power of 40 kW also pierced 40 mm thick steel plates in a few seconds. Target tracking runs that were demonstrated in previous trials were also successfully repeated.

The tests demonstrated the good beam quality of the lasers used and the precise and low-loss merging of the individual beams. This is the only way to ensure that targets are neutralised rapidly and reliably.

“High-power laser weapons can soon provide an answer to conventional and asymmetric threats in military missions,â€￾ explains Peter Heilmeier, Head of Market and Business Development MBDA Germany. “They can contribute greatly to protecting our troops. Laser weapons are characterised by precision at long ranges, minimum operating costs and the avoidance of collateral damage".

With this campaign, MBDA Germany is building on a series of successful tests begun in2008. In2011, MBDA Germany was the first company inEuropeto achieve a power of 10 kW with a good laser beam quality. The tracking of dynamic objects and the effects on the object were demonstrated over a distance of more than2,300 mand an altitude difference of1,000 min real environmental conditions.

In September and October 2012 further tests are to be performed at the WTD 52 proving grounds in Oberjettenberg, where the entire combat process from detection to neutralisation of a flying target is to be tested for the first time.

The further development of the laser demonstrator is being financed using the company’s own funds and, in part, by the German Federal Office of Defence Technology and Procurement (BWB) with their research and technology resources.

2. Marqueur

Marqueur Peaceful Silence ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I want one ... will use it vaporize dogs who bark n disturb my sleep in the night !!! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. G777

G777 Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    2,300 meter range and tested at 1000 meters altitude tested.

What I would like to know is:

Size
    weight
    economical
    detection

It sounds great but it has to fit into the world of warfare and not be a burden like being too expensive for the price of simple bullets. I mean 40Kw aint exactly very economical sound the power supply could be very big. From the sounds of things, it might be either a stationary turret or mounted on a tank or other type of vehicle.

They could use the laser to detonate explosives on different things at a safe distance, like car bombs, reactive armour or even the ammunition inside weapons in close combat.

I am feeling much better today :mrgreen:

4. grond

grond Captain SENIOR MEMBER

That its not economic is a given to hold such a beam we would need huge ultra capacitor banks which rules out a mobile platform such as a tank ... Even if it's engine output is connected directly to a generator it's not enough... But if you use your talent wisely then its possible to engineer a molten salt cell to run on jet exhaust so that this can be fitted to jets at no huge weight difference.... And then voila the first laser gun ala star wars...
    Now I'm gonna sleep happy for the night...

5. Anees

Anees Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States

"Recent packaging improvements made possible through DARPA funding have achieved the low specific weight (5 kg/kW) and compact size needed to mount a ~25 kW system in a small airborne vehicle or a man-portable lower-power system. "

i am not sure....

more detail in below link, anybody can join the conference meeting.........

Conference Detail for High-Power Lasers: Technology and Systems

High-Power Lasers: Technology and Systems
    Available in print as Proceedings of SPIE Volume 8547
    Dates: Monday-Wednesday 24 - 26 September 2012
    Conference Chairs
    Harro Ackermann, High Energy Laser Joint Technology Office (United States); Willy L. Bohn, BohnLaser Consult (Germany)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  6. G777

G777 Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    The US is much further in laser tech than Europe (or I would believe so) since they have made the ABL or AirBourneLaser, it doesnt work as specified yet but the ABL can only fire 7 shots before needing a chemical refill.

I will look at the link.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.