Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Mehbooba Mufti in spot over Narendra Modi pat

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by ManuSankar, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManuSankar

ManuSankar Major SENIOR MEMBER

Opposition PDP leader Mehbooba Mufti’s statement at a recent National Integration Council (NIC) meeting in New Delhi, allegedly praising Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, has put her in a tight spot.

Though she strongly denied ever eulogising Modi, political bête noire Chief Minister Omar Abdullah seized the opportunity on Tuesday to scoff at her wondering if she could really disown something others had heard her saying at the NIC meeting.

He tweeted, “I’m not surprised Mehbooba praised Modi; I’m surprised she’d deny it knowing others heard her speech.â€

Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj had said on Monday Mufti, whose PDP is deadly opposed to BJP, had acknowledged while speaking at the NIC meeting Modi’s leadership skills and that there was no discrimination against Muslims in Gujarat.

“Gujarat is a state where there is no discrimination against Muslims. No plan is made thinking whether Hindus will benefit or Muslims, even PDP president Mehbooba Mufti praised Modi’s style of governance during a meeting of National Integration Council (NIC) recently,†she said on the sidelines of Modi’s three-day fast.

She added that the PDP leader had admired Modi for allowing a Muslim entrepreneur to set up factory and said the Chief Minister not only gave time to the entrepreneur but also roped in all the required officials and cleared the proposal in half-an-hour.

As her reported statement set off a war of words between archrivals in Kashmir politics, Mehbooba not only denied having ever made it but also accused the BJP leader of being dishonest.

“Sushma Swaraj is lying. I never made such a statement praising the Gujarat Chief Minister ever. Swaraj’s claims that I praised Modi are baseless,†she said, adding that it was unfortunate that the BJP leader had chosen to misquote her.

“I never met her and never made such statement. I demand the government make public the full text of my speech to clear the air over my reported praise of the Gujarat BJP leader,†she said.

Mehbooba Mufti in spot over Narendra Modi pat | Deccan Chronicle

2. Mike

Mike Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

If there's no discrimination, then how come Modi refused to wear a skull cap offered by a Muslim and that to on stage in front of everyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.