Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Multi-Role Carrier Borne Fighter For The Indian Navy - Updates & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by Agent_47, Jan 28, 2017.

1. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    The wing span of Rafale-M reduces by nearly 50cms by removing the wingtip missile rails and after that by parking the aircraft at an angle on the lift, the aircraft fits exactly within 10m.

2. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

Besides the operational limitation for removing and adding them all the time, it still might not work.

http://indiandefence.com/threads/mu...updates-discussions.57779/page-31#post-588678

The rear lift is too narrow for sure and even if you can place the Rafale M on the front lift in an angled way, how do you get it into the hangar?

[​IMG]

You have to put it straight first, which then should interfere with that pillar or?
    The frontal part of the hangar offers less space than the rear, so moving it out to the front will only give limited space for a few fighters. Not to mention that the fixed wings still require more parking space than the Migs or F18SH in width, be it in the hangar or on deck.

3. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    Seems that Dassault have more informations than you on the width of the lift. And if they make a modification it's to accelerate the removing and the adding of the wingtip Missiles.

Bali78, PARIKRAMA and Abingdonboy like this.
  4. Sancho

Not really, since your "inside source" didn't give us any new informations. We knew the size of the lift and we knew that removing the wingtips stations is possible. If that is enough to place it on the lift is so far only a claim, but as I said, placing it on the lift is 1 issue...

...you also have to get it into the hangar around that pillar
    ... and it doesn't change the fact that Rafale requires more hangar and deck space

All these problems can only be solved with folding wings!

Btw, didn't your "inside sources" said earlier that we will cut out more space to integrate a larger lift, just to make Rafale suitable? Wonder what happened to that great idea? :smile:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Agent_47 likes this.
  5. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    Rafale-M can't operate from Vikky irrespective of what you remove. The option of removing wingtip rails is valid only for IAC-1.

Bali78 and Agent_47 like this.
  6. Sancho

Most likely, because the lifts are designed differently. But even there it doesn't change the problems of parking space. Do you have infos on the hangar length and width of IAC1, or how many slots are planned for aircrafts on the deck?

7. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    I posted the lift specifications for both the carriers here sometime back. I have the deck specs for both carriers but can't post it as it is not in public domain yet.

8. Sancho

I know, but I was asking for the hangar size. But fair enough if you can't disclose it.

vstol jockey likes this.
  9. randomradio

randomradio Colonel REGISTERED

For many missions, there's no reason to carry wingtip missiles.

10. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    but wingtip rails are part of wing structure and removing them will mean flying with part of wing missing. In Rafale,these rails also carry few EW sensors.

11. randomradio

Picdel says removing wingtip missiles is good enough, he didn't say anything about the rails also. I don't think the rails are removable though.

Rafale will need folding wings for Vikram anyway.

12. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    You can check with him, He meant removing rails only. We never ever put an aircraft in hangar with missiles or anykind of weapons attached to it. Weapon loading is done only on flight deck and aircraft are unloaded before being put inside the hangar below deck.

13. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    I think you are confused, my "source" or rather none of my source said such a think, it was a comment that I gave considering an information from PARIKRAMA.
    http://indiandefence.com/threads/rafale-deal-signed.56201/page-386#post-580348.
    And when Dassault studies solutions, they are complete. So I do not worry about the place and the accesses to the hangars, after all the Rafale is a plane shorter than the F-18 which, as a result, has a smaller surface area.

Shekhar Singh likes this.
  14. Shekhar Singh

Shekhar Singh 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    And what about 30 to 35 % availability of mig29k.

15. randomradio

That figure is for the first 10 jets after just 1 year of service. Such a figure is pretty normal for a newly developed aircraft.

You need at least 10 years of service with dozens of aircraft before you know actual availability figures. During the last Malabar exercises, the Mig-29Ks used in the exercise had 100% availability.

Sahil ecclstone likes this.