Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Multi-Role Carrier Borne Fighter For The Indian Navy - Updates & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by Agent_47, Jan 28, 2017.

1. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Yes, because the aircraft is expected to be flown from ALGs also. As mentioned in the link, the F-35 can operate without ALIS for 30 days. And for operations beyond that, you will have to go manual.

Same thing. Our frigates have 2 hangars also. Here's Shivalik Class frigate.

[​IMG]

This article speaks of operations from LPDs, that's twice the deck space as destroyers.
    http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/7-things-the-marines-have-to-do-to-make-the-f-35b-worth-1560672069
    Also, I accept that I don't have proof. But at the same time I also have reason to believe that--
    1. They are lying about the VTOL capability, fuel and load limits.
    2. They are lying about the thrust of the engine.

Check that article out. It explains why the F-35B is the best design of the three and the advantages it brings.

That would qualify as proof, which I don't have. :wink:

The aircraft can have its engine facing away from the hangar.

As I mentioned in the above scenario, the carriers are unavailable. But I agree that operating from a destroyer is unnecessary when we can also get similar capability by operating as many as 6 F-35s from each LHD.

Isn't this deck space on Kolkata and Shivalik good enough for F-35B operations? The F-35 comes with automated landing and take off and the Sea Harrier is known to have landed on cargo ships with huge containers.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...-jet-once-landed-on-a-mini-van-on-cargo-ship/
    [​IMG]
    He landed bang next to the mast and quite close to the bridge.

There's this. The Atlantic Conveyor. So only VTOL operations.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We may need to cut down the speed of the destroyer during the landing and take off.

2. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    @randomradio, Sea Harrier was designed as a V/STOL fighter-Vertical or short take off and vertical or short landing aircraft but F-35B is short take off and short or vertical landing aircraft. There is difference between the two and that difference is massive. Sea Harrier could land virtually anywhere and take off from anywhere. Some of my seniors who did traing in UK cold climate told us stories how they used to do push ups on Sea Harrier i.e take off vertically, move forward and land vertically and repeat it 4-5 times in one sortie. But in Indian hot conditions the max take off fuel for vertical take off was restricted to just 1.2 tons. We used to do vertical take off only for demonstration purposes. It had no practical value for us.

3. shaktimaan

shaktimaan Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
  4. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    SAAB offers Maritime Gripen to Indian Navy
    SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT
    NEW DELHI: FEBRUARY 11, 2017 01:18 IST
    UPDATED: FEBRUARY 11, 2017 01:18 IST
    Swedish aircraft manufacturer SAAB plans to offer the maritime variant of its Gripen single engine fighter jet in response to the Navy’s tender for 57 carrier-based aircraft.

Last month, the government had issued a Request for Information (RFI) “to procure approximately 57 Multi-Role Carrier Borne Fighters (MRCBF) for the aircraft carriers of the Indian Navy.”

“Gripen is in the process of responding to the RFI for maritime aircraft,” Tony Ogilvy, Head of Marketing of Gripen Maritime, said on Friday.

The maritime variant of Gripen is based on the latest Gripen-E variant, however there is no flying prototype yet. “We have a certified design for the Gripen-M. We have to now go into prototype building now,” he stated.

Specific requirements

The aircraft is capable of both Catapult Assisted Take-Off But Arrested Recovery (CATOBAR) and Short Take-Off But Arrested Recovery (STOBAR) operations, Mr. Ogilvy said. This is a requirement specified by the Navy. In addition, the Gripen-M has a small footprint similar to that of a Sea Harrier, which he said means “a full squadron can easily embark on a medium sized aircraft carrier.”

The RFI did not specify if the Navy wants a single or twin engine aircraft leaving the contest open. The other aircraft in the race are Boeing’s F-18 Super Hornet and Dassault Rafale, 36 of which the Indian Air Force has contracted.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/SAAB-offers-Maritime-Gripen-to-Indian-Navy/article17285625.ece

Agent_47 and dadeechi like this.
  5. lca-fan

lca-fan Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
  6. PARIKRAMA

PARIKRAMA Angel or Devil? Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Screenshot_20170214-175357.png

Screenshot_20170214-175931.png

https://mobile.twitter.com/karthikkakoor

He is a reliable source.. has posted before also some real good reports.. potentially a good source in defence reporting ..

Looks like SE is out of this IN plan and it's TE only..

@Picdelamirand-oil @Abingdonboy @vstol jockey @randomradio @Gessler @halloweene @Ankit Kumar 001 @Agent_47 @CNL-PN-AA @Vergennes

@vstol jockey when you do propose LSA give both the options of SE and TE...

We will mean end of Gripen and F16 naval version plan...And the big F35 talk..

And additionally I still feel it's SH not ASH..

But then potential challenges exists

7. lca-fan

lca-fan Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I do feel that Mig 35 k will be opted for by Navy. Although my personal choice is LSA first and if not Rafale but looking at timelines and difficulties like Rafale being not suitable for both carriers (vikramaditya and IAC-1 Vikrant as discussed before) and LSA still not out of prototype timeline, Navy has no option other than MIG 35 k. Whatever chinks and difficulties navy has faced in Mig29k could have been rectified by Russians by now and this is also confirmed by IAF and Indian representatives were briefed and shown Mig 35 in Russia a few days back. Also they could have also told that if IN buys Mig 35k they could also upgrade IN Mig29k to Mig35 k standard. It could be win win solution for IN as it wil save infrastructure costs, pilot training cost and also cheaper jets. Yes Mig corp. and Russia should raise their quality bar substantially which I think they may have with Mig35k.

Techy likes this.
  8. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    I know what IN wants. I have been briefed about it in detail. Neither F-18 nor Rafale nor Sea Gripen will ever be able to meet the needs of IN. It has to be either LSA or a completely new design. But all this BS being touted here, may make EFT consortium nervous about participating in LSA project. F-18 will need F414EPE engines with 120KN thrust to be able to go from STOBAR deck. Other wise, with present engines, its load out will be below 5.5 tons. LSA with EJ230 is good for 6.25tons of weapon load.

9. shaktimaan

Country Flag:
    India
    I read somewhere that Indian navy didnt mention type of engine in RFI so that lockheed martin can offer F-35...

10. Ankit Kumar 001

Country Flag:
    India
    Yes , of course he is reliable. He is also our team member at IADN. He has just some time back interviewed, SAAB India Chief and later met the SAAB chief himself. He was the one who first brought up the news that SAAB will be coming up with 3 aircrafts at Aero India and , that it has already responded to Indian Navy RFI with Naval Gripen version.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  11. Ankit Kumar 001

Country Flag:
    India

And one more " Good News ".
    In his latest interaction with SAAB , it is officially revealed that the MII part " Fighter Jet " is for 250 aircraft.

Now we know that which aircraft will eventually get the MII contract and the numbers.....

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  12. randomradio

EFT has lived through years of media BS during MMRCA. So you don't have to worry about them changing their mind. If they accept your design, they will ignore the media.

PARIKRAMA and vstol jockey like this.
  13. randomradio

Yes. You will find the RFI on this thread if you go back a bunch of pages.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  14. shaktimaan

Country Flag:
    India
    other then tejas order ??

15. Ankit Kumar 001

Country Flag:
    India
    Yes the MII part for fighter jet [which in all likelihood is Rafale ] will be 250.

PARIKRAMA likes this.