Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Musharraf returns to active politics; says sorry for mistakes

Discussion in 'South Asia & SAARC' started by DaRk KnIght, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Pakistan's former military ruler Pervez Musharraf [ Images ] onannounced his much-anticipated return to mainstream politics with an apology for the 'political mistakes' of the last years of his regime and promised to start his career with a 'clean slate.'

Launching his new banner -- the All Pakistan Muslim League -- thousands of miles away from Pakistan, the former president said he would return to his country and contest the 2013 general elections.

"On this occasion, I apologise to the people of the country," Musharraf, who is on self-imposed exile since the general election of 2009, said.

The 67-year old also said his party would strive for friendly and peaceful relations with India [ Images ], but after peaceful resolution of all issues.

"I acknowledge that during the last years of my regime, there were some decisions, which I can term as political mistakes," he said at a crowded press conference in central London [ Images ].

"... I promise not to commit them again. I start my political career with clean slate," he added.

Musharraf, who toppled Nawaz Sharif's [ Images ] elected government in 1999 in a bloodless military coup, was at the helm of affairs in Pakistan for eight years, before he paved the way for the return of democracy.

He said he took the decision to return to active politics as 'I don't see any political alternative who could show ray of light to Pakistanis. I think I can be that ray of light.'

The commando-turned-politician said Pakistan had made significant gains under his rule, and expressed dismay that the achievements of his years are being wasted by the present government.

He said the majority of Pakistan's 170 million people were living in poverty, while the few rich and powerful manipulate the law to their own benefit.

His party, he said, would launch a 'jihad against poverty and hunger.'

Musharraf said its time to reignite the fire of the All India Muslim League -- the movement that had succeeded in carving out an independent Pakistan in 1947.

"It's time to strive for the dream and vision of Quaid-e-Azam... Its time for all patriotic Pakistanis to united under a common flag," he said. "I believe this common flag can be the flag of All Pakistan Muslim League which will strive for the Pakistan of Quaid-e-Azam's (Mohammad Ali Jinnah [ Images ]) vision," he said.

Pakistan, Musharraf said, was established because the Muslims of the subcontinent believed they would not be able to enjoy freedom under Hindu rule in India.

"We got an independent country... we became a free nation, but look at the condition of the common people. They are yet to be freed from poverty, a majority of them are illiterate. Was this the Pakistan for which we had struggled?" he asked.

"An unhappy country is like a graveyard," he said. Musharraf, earlier told the BBC that the army must be involved in lifting Pakistan from its current economic woes and political infighting in addition to Pakistan People's Party government's failure to provide effective relief to victims of recent floods.

Musharraf said, "There is a growing sense of despondency spreading in Pakistan and that the threat of terrorism and a dysfunctional government are causing a crisis."

"The situation in Pakistan can only be solved when the military has some role," he said. "If you want stability, checks and balances in the democratic structure of Pakistan, the military ought to have some sort of role."

Musharraf claimed that the circumstances that forced him to launch a coup against the civilian government in 1999 had re-emerged.

Mushharaf returns to politics; launches new party: Rediff.com India News

2. Tailchopper

Tailchopper Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Pakistan
    We cannot forgive you so better forgive us !

Do us a favor do not come back !

3. MasulaSGD

MasulaSGD FULL MEMBER

definetly USA behind this....they are not quite satisfied with present pak govt. hope mushy will not end up like BB. If jardari was able to become the head of the state, then whats wrong with mushy?? atleast for Pakistan, he was least corrupted as reports suggests...his would be Indian policy and other implications are entirely deferent matter... we already dealt him well...there will not be any problem for a second round...

4. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

A VERY dangerous development my friend. If musharrff's party becomes a front for the amy to rule by civilian mandate, it can actually perpetuate an unseen military dictatorship. They can muzzle press and swing stuff in their favor to make sure that only they keep winning. This is very very bad. I assure you...more dangerous than even musharraff's direct takeover of the state- that comes with a shelf life..this doesn't.

5. Tailchopper

Tailchopper Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Pakistan
    We dont need musharaf simple is that.

6. brain_dead

brain_dead Captain SENIOR MEMBER

but i guess pakistan touched its best economy during musharraf's regime only..

1 person likes this.
  7. Blackenthesky

Blackenthesky 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

WTH,Politics is non of his business,he is retired-general whose duty was to defend the borded,now he is retired so he should sit at his house and smoke cigar like other retired generals.It's totally stupid to see army into politics though he is retired.

8. RoYaN

RoYaN Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Hmmmm.....
    interesting............
    Does Pakistan have no better leader they they criticize the present set of politicians and their heirs and also criticize the only man who can re set Pakistan's economy.............

9. abirbec04

abirbec04 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Well SHEEP needs a Shepherd, hmmmmmm .............. in a country full of sheep who is the shepherd?

If they want leaders then sheep needs to become LIONS, can't see that happen anytime soon.

10. prototype

prototype Major SENIOR MEMBER

Musharraf was far better far better than both the current military and civilian leadership of Pakistan......when he was their,their economy was going good,and all extremist elements were in controll,suddenly after his departure look how conditions worsened,if he will come back,Pakistan will b in a much better condition

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.