Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Must Watch: Kalyani Group Artillery System

Discussion in 'Indian Defence Industry' started by Guynextdoor, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

Music to my ears. New respect for the Kalyani guys. @Abingdonboy @Sancho @Hellfire

'Long before Modi came to power we were irritated by constant criticism that India couldn't make artillery guns. We didn't do this for commercial purposes but because we wanted India to be strong. If India faces a situation today I can make a gun every other day. I'm not concerned about orders, I want people to recognize that India can do this'

Baba Kalyani:

'I can't accept the Idea that India can't make a jet engine so i want to put my attention there'

This is what a strong private sector can do. A company that wants to do really well in this sector for the security of the nation- not opportunists like Anil Ambani who come in only when there is money on the table.I would have no issues if these guys got an MBT/ Fighter/ Submarine contract

2. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

OFB sat on their collective behinds till TATA and Kalyani came out with products. Then OFB did an "Eureka" and suddenly fabricated Dhanush.

Shame!

The private sector can do wonders - er .. will do wonders. Check that.

With the economic conditions likely to head south (and here, it has absolutely nothing to do with policies of government but due to competitiveness) ... IT (service sector), Pharma and Defence remain the only sectors where growth is likely. Hence, whether anyone likes it or not, markets wil lbe created in these fields otherwise we are looking at a recession in the short to medium term.

Coming back to the point, DPSUs should be disbanded and private sector encouraged. This will lead to the systemisation of the concept of perform or perish. Much needed and very incentivised :D

3. An Indian

An Indian 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    IT sector is in deep trouble...

4. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    There is improvisation required. Macros will be the way forward as Banking and other sectors look to reduce their overheads and ancillaries per cost centre. You will find redundancies coming in shortly as banking sector has to rejig to survive. How will that come about? Costs are likely to go down by minimum 30% if there is greater automation. And for automation you will need IT.

Example is the contract awarded to L&T Infotech by CBDT for identification of High Net Worth individuals based on data analysis. The aim is to identify those individuals who are circumventing taxation by analysing the data generated by them. For example: If there is an individual who is not in taxable bracket, yet his wife is posting a pic of holidaying in Paris, CBDT will be very interested to know the source of Income :D

5. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    One of the best part of the interview with Baba Kalyani was when he stated that he can produce one gun every alternate day. This means with Tata included, we can have one gun everyday to make up for the shortage of guns in Army.

6. bharathp

bharathp Developers Guild Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    one issue with DPSUs and unionisaion - they will fight to keep others from competing with them. a case of " na kaam karunga, na karne dunga"..

7. Rajaraja Chola

Rajaraja Chola 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

That comes in a cost. And he meant literally.

8. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

this is why 'leadership' is so important. A strong leader who decided to grow the company by focusing on capabilities is now in a position to fill the orders seamlessly. He has an organization that can take on big challenges, that itself will bring them money in the future.

9. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Leadership is one thing - More Important is BEING DECISIVE!! - make a decision and stick to it!

10. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Taking a decision to direct the company to a brighter future surely was important, but the crucial step was to invest into taking over the foreign know how for the artillery making. That now gives Kallyani the edge, because they didn't need to waste years to re-design or develop know how first.
    Same goes for Tata when they took over Range Rover and Jaguar. The knowledge they gained, will improve Tatas own cars too and will pay out in the long run.

Indian government agencies can't run around in the world and simply buy foreign companies, which explains the delays and failures over the years. But if more privat players follow Kallyanis example, we will see better products and developments in India for sure.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  11. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India