Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

My own daughter feels unsafe in Delhi, Sheila Dikshit says

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by TSUNAMI, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSUNAMI

TSUNAMI Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]

NEW DELHI: "My own daughter feels unsafe in the city." This is what Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit, a vocal critic of city police, has to say about the law and order situation, especially on safety of women in the capital.

Admitting that statistics on crime against women are shocking, she said the challenge will have to be faced with "courage and determination".

"We have to face it with courage and determination. This is happening all around the country. This is not a competition. I don't want to get into it," she told NDTV.

"Why is it that a girl is walking on the street and someone has to tease her. When we went to school or college there were whistles but there was nothing of this kind," she said.

Expressing unhappiness over the law and order situation in Delhi, Dikshit said a lot has to be done to address the sense of insecurity among women in the city.

"I am not satisfied with the law and order ... I wouldn't be able to judge whether security has improved after December 16 or not," the chief minister said.

Asked whether her letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking his intervention in ensuring better policing in the city bore result, she said better policing was not a "magic wand".

"The PM did respond to my letter asking for better policing. I hope there is better policing but better policing is not a magic wand," she said.

"... One can't put everything on the government. I feel concerned about law and order even though it is not under me because ours is an elected government.

"I am not saying police reporting to lieutenant governor is okay or not but that is the system. But, this does not stop us from doing what we can do within our limitations," she said

Asked whether she agrees to reports that four rape incidents take place in the city daily, she replied in affirmative and said it was "good" that such crimes are being reported.

"I agree. They have been reported. It is good that the incidents are being reported. We have started a helpline to offer assistance to women in distress," she said.

My own daughter feels unsafe in Delhi, Sheila Dikshit says - The Times of India

2. rcscwc

rcscwc Major SENIOR MEMBER

Telling commentary on Delhi law and order.

Is MMS ashamed that even a CM's daughter feels unsafe?

3. smestarz

smestarz Lt. Colonel REGISTERED

The statement is politically wrong for Congress, but I think SD is trying to show that she can identify herself with commoners in Delhi.
    Surely as a daughter of CM she will be having some sort of security (not Z+)

I surely think that is SD trying to show helplessness and some solidarity with women of Delhi, she is getting ready Delhi state elections it seems

4. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

How can they feel insecure......They have Govt protection.

5. rakshitmukdam

rakshitmukdam FULL MEMBER

unsafe from who n d tiwari, manu singhvi, kanda

1 person likes this.
  6. WMD

WMD Captain SENIOR MEMBER

its BS at the highest level,
    sheila dikshit herself is responsible for the safety of her daughter along with every women in Delhi.
    giving a statement like such won't absolve her of her duties.
    she's the CM of the state, if she can't ensure the safety of women in her state better resign as CM rather than continuing this mockery of democracy by giving irresponsible statements like this or "Rs 600 per month enough to feed family of 5" or the remark abt electricity bill.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bang Galore

Bang Galore Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

You are poorly informed. Unlike every other state, Delhi does not have control of the police who amswer to the central government via the Union Home ministry. Sheila Dixit can do nothing on this matter.

1 person likes this.
  8. WMD

WMD Captain SENIOR MEMBER

if u r right, my mistake but the PC of delhi answers to the Lieutenant-Governor of delhi, who is the head of state of delhi.
    but since its only a ceremonial position, the CM is the head of the govt, my comment is extrapolated from that.

9. Bang Galore

Bang Galore Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

The Delhi CM has no power over the Delhi police which is why Sheila Dixit feels aggrieved when everyone blames her. The Union Home ministry controls the Delhi police & should be the ones to blame.

10. rcscwc

rcscwc Major SENIOR MEMBER

Shiela's statement sounds like it undermines Shinde and PM in one go. Is it a ploy to position herself as another watchman?

11. The Drdo Guy

The Drdo Guy Captain SENIOR MEMBER

and what about herself.talking bullshit to gain public confidence.

12. theeternallaw13

theeternallaw13 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

delhi police is under central government and to be more precise it's under the home ministry :D

the thing is that these police walahs are illiterate young kids from neighboring states and their main motto is to get as much bribe as they can.
    these young police walahs can't even write an application and you want them to solve cases????

13. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Alright this proves it
    She has lost all rights to be the C.M of Delhi

14. bijugovind

bijugovind REGISTERED

Elections approaching.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.