Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Namma Metro Anger Over Hindi Signs Is Part Of Growing Trend

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by Guynextdoor, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor BANNED BANNED

what the world thinks about 'British' English

'Indian' English, which is increasingly becoming world standard

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  2. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Not the ones I've spoken too.

3. Guynextdoor

then you should try more call centre, or maybe work in one....I can give you a ref....

4. Gessler

Gessler Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    We cannot take China's example - their model doesn't work for us. China is some 92% Han and a common language is far more predominant.

Asking India to use a common language (other than English) is like asking the EU to have a common language - good luck with that.

Is it possible? Sure, if Hindi is enforced on all Indian ethnic groups and the other languages are washed out over the next ~80 years. But the problem is that such enforcement will cause untold amount of internal strife, conflict, calls for secession etc. over that time period - and what would be the point of all that? India ALREADY HAS a common language that can work among majority of literate people regardless of which part of India they're from: English!

The only people calling for Hindi/some other language to take the place of English are calling for unnecessarily reinventing the wheel, are merely speaking from an emotional/nationalistic/jingoistic perspective - with little to no practical value that can come from doing so.

mugundhan likes this.
  5. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    This is a non issue which is being blown out of proportions by media to stop the surge of BJP in south India. Please note the way media started with gau rakshak stories, the recent lynching on train case, the Saharanpur riots between Dalits and Thakurs and now the language row.

Wolfpack, nair and ASHOKSINH GOHIL like this.
  6. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
    Let me put forward what I personally think of majority of Indian English...

It sucks. Not because the people are not capable of learning good English - but because they have poor teachers. You can be great at grasping new languages, but if you are relying on a particular source for your language education, you will only be as good as your source. Which in our case is usually not that good.

If a teacher has bad English - the students will learn bad English. Simple as that.

Note that you can easily replace the word 'English' with any language (Hindi, French, Russian, Hebrew or whatever) and you still get the same result.

Guynextdoor and Agent_47 like this.
  7. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
    I agree with this being a non-issue. I believe the language situation in India is good as it is. The natural course of development will automatically choose the most practical, efficient approach to move ahead. But I think such a course will decide that English is the cheapest, most efficient way to streamline language across India and allow seamless integration with the majority of the rest of the world and cut down on logistics costs.

I've read somewhere that someone in the US govt. had calculated that by reducing the font size on official govt documents by a mere 1-2 points, millions of dollars can be saved each year due to reduction in usage of printer ink.

I've heard of my seniors in college/elders worrying that all English speakers will automatically become pro-Western in their thinking. That is simply not true.

Agent_47 likes this.
  8. ASHOKSINH GOHIL

ASHOKSINH GOHIL FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    the problem of not to learn Hindi & and own regional language is....if New Generation not learns Hindi and our regional language then whatever our Books and all the material, all knowledge are our irrelevant for us, and similarly, our culture also destroy.

same happens as Sanskrit, we have precious knowledge in Sanskrit but only a few know and lack of awareness we are going away from Sanskrit and also all knowledge, books etc....

9. Flyboy!

Flyboy! Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Go for an interview , you will be asked about proficiency in english only. No one will bother if you know sanskrit or any regional language. We have sold our butts a long time ago. Indians provide services - financial, software, hospitality, etc and english is now a standard .

10. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Why do you think they moved the call centres to India in the first place?

11. nair

nair Die hard Romeo Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I have travelled in metro couple of times this week.... Let me tell you people are exited.... Yelechenahalli to majestic normally it takes 1.5 hours plus..... here it takes barely 20 min......today the metro was like Mumbai local.... no place to stand......

Ignore.... and move on....

Gessler, vstol jockey and GuardianRED like this.
  12. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Bangalore is really a city which needs metro as of 10 yrs back. It used to be a sleepy cantonment town full of either armed forces personnel or retired ones but now it is bursting. I have a 4BHK flat close to IISC and I can tell you, that with all IT infra in south Bangalore, this place has no value. reaching south Bangalore is like travelling from Delhi to Jaipur.

13. Guynextdoor

because they can do the job better....

14. nair

nair Die hard Romeo Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Expansion is happening..... in all directions.......the latest one is towards electronic city....... Actually this will ease the traffic... as people will start using metro instead of their own vehicles....Bangalore has lot of BMTC buses... normally they create lot of blockages. .. that also will come down as the number of buses comes down....

15. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
    No....

It's because we have a large quantity of relatively cheap labor who know English.

How did China come to have such a huge manufacturing base? It's not because they could make things better than US/Europe, it's because producing them in China was cheaper which contributed to a higher profit margin for the Western company that is employing/contracting them.