Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Narendra Modi completes 10 years in office today

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by Karthic Sri, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karthic Sri

Karthic Sri <b>STAR MEMBER of the MONTH</b> SENIOR MEMBER

Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi completes 10 years in office on Thursday. Does his government's focus on development explain a surge in his popularity?

As Modi begins his tenth year in office on Thursday the talk is only of the state's growth and development. CNN-IBN explains the significance of some fundamental political changes that are now becoming increasingly visible in Narendra's Modi's Gujarat.

“The BJP is in Gujarat and everybody is benefiting. We thought why should we be left out," said Ayub Chauhan, voter.

Words that are being interpreted as indicative of a fundamental change in Gujarat. Ayub Chauhan is among growing numbers of Muslim voters who appear to be voting for Narendra Modi. The BJP's first ever victory in the Kathlal assembly seat in the recently concluded bypolls being the biggest indicator with a 65 per cent Muslim voter base - the BJP had never won the seat in over 50 years. Modi believes the credit for this tectonic shift should go to development.

"The past one decade has been a decade of growth. Gujarat has scaled new heights in the past decade," said Narednra Modi.

Modi rode to power in the communally charged 2002 assembly elections, held in the backdrop of the 2002 riots. Despite widespread condemnation, Modi repeated the victory in the 2007 elections.

Barring the Junagadh Municipal Corporation that the BJP lost, Modi’s party has been able to hold all other civic bodies in the past decade.

In the past nine years, Modi has focused on an inclusive growth and development model. But many feel Modi's dictatorial and confrontationist approach stands against democratic values.

The Kathlal victory has trickled down changes in ticket distribution too. Modi has given tickets to as many as 51 Muslim candidates for the forthcoming civic elections across the state - the highest ever in the state's history. One of them - BJP candidate A I Saiyed says voters know what is best.

"My honourable chief minister has assured us that peace security and development will be the only issues that will be on our agenda in this area," assured A.I. Saiyyed, retired Additional DGP and BJP Candidate.

But not everyone is convinced that the change is down to the core. Political scientist Hemantkumar Shah says political success is insignificant unless the core values of democracy are upheld. He even questions the growth rate saying it’s lower than what it was in the 80s.

."Hitler was also successful and so were Stalin and Indira Gandhi. But democracy concerns values and these have not been protected in Gujarat," opined Hemantkumar Shah, political analyst.

Modi’s detractors may never forgive him for the 2002 riots, but there is enough evidence that Modi's popularity has increased over the past decade.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/narendra-modi-completes-10-years-in-office-today/132542-37.html?from=tn

================================================================

Here is the man for the future - honest,upright and one who means business.:tup:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    2 people like this.
  2. chachachoudhary

chachachoudhary Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Plus he has announced world's tallest statue, taller than the statue of liberty on the banks of river narmada through private participation. This statue of Sardar Vallabhai Patel, whose strong will and iron fist helped the geographical integration of india soon after the independence, will be known as Statue of Unity.

3. Karthic Sri

He should leave Gujarat in another 5 years for a greater role at a national level.

4. True_Indian

True_Indian 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

I appreciate the statue..but coming to national politics will be a tragedy for him.

1 person likes this.
  5. Karthic Sri

Mate the true tragedy is that many have fallen for the propaganda from the pseudo-secular press and political parties which never tires from bashing him and making a demon out of him.

6. RoYaN

RoYaN Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

My be Mr.Yedurappa can take some leassons form Modi on how to control his ministers Yeddy's govt. is falling apart..:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :partay: :partay: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

Ten years of murder, brutality and dictatorship.

8. RoYaN

RoYaN Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

A little correction
    10 years of elected Brutality ,development ,Murder...

9. True_Indian

Oh please don't make this typical pakistani and cpi(m) arguement..

10. brain_dead

brain_dead Captain SENIOR MEMBER

haha.. maybe BJP should learn lessons from congress of how to play dirty politics of buying MPs n MLAs.

11. Karthic Sri

Anything wrong i said..or was it sarcasm.?

12. True_Indian

I mean in a vast country like india with free and numerous media how can all goes against modi. every Media will have their own ideology but they have to maintain credibility and neutrality to win peoples confidence and trust. They also do have competition in between..nobody will leave any scoop against any political party..so in the end, the news we receive is a final result of all these internal conflict of intrusts and external competition.every media will have different priorities in different matters. So with variety of media sources everything is fairly balanced.

13. Karthic Sri

Im talking abt the three major news channels groups that almost monopolise the news segment in India - CNN-IBN,NDTV and TIMES NOW.

Coming to Modi atleast Times Now is a bit balanced,but CNN-IBN and NDTV with Rajdeep Sardesai and Burkha Dutt at their helm are some of the most biased when it comes to Modi.

And almost all other regional news channels are subsidiaries or sister-channels of these.

And with the culture of media-sensationalism going thru the roof,they are everything but balanced.

14. True_Indian

ΔΔΔ as i said no channel will go completly biased because they have a credibility to maintain. I watch cnn ibn and they show news against congress too (latest one cwg). Do you really think they will hide a news or scoop just because it's against congress ? I don't think so.
    And other than these main channels there are numerous news papers, magazins, independent journalists, activists, etc are there. So it can't be biased towards one party.And if bjp is so worried they can start a party channel and expose congress men too.

15. Karthic Sri

Cmon man...CNN is shamlessly biased towards the COngress of all the three.

Seeing them running adverts in support of Rahul Baba i sometimes get the feeling whether Congress has bought them.

Yes they have a credibility to maintain - but in case of Modi they think they get credibility only if they bash him.

I ll tell you one thing - if the next time any news (good one ) comes against Modi see how they report.They will report the good news and finally they will add a caveat like "inspite of the communal nature", "inspite of being accused" ..something like that.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.