Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

National Security Guard (NSG): News, Discussions & Pictures

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by Gessler, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Vergennes, kurup, Levina and 5 others like this.
  2. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Levina likes this.
  3. GuardianRED

Country Flag:
    India
    Levina likes this.
  4. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    What's new here is that while we have been seeing pics of NSG operatives in the new quarter-zip uniform for quite a while, this is the first time that we're seeing a pic of an operative in the new uniform AND in full gear. You can find pictures of operatives in the new uniform without any gear in previous posts of this thread.

What's new in the uniform? Well...

• It comes with a zip instead of buttons as on the previously-used uniform, making it much faster to put on/remove when required.
    • Affords somewhat better tactile movement of limbs with all the gear on.
    • Comes with shoulder pockets so that the wearer can access some items stored on the uniform while still wearing the vest (which would deny access to normal shirt pockets on the torso when worn, as on the previous uniform).
    • Velcro shoulder patches allow to apply & remove badges, tags etc. without having to sew them into the uniform.

A visual breakdown of the equipment (save for the uniform) as far as I can tell:

• ACH-2000 type ballistic helmet with side-rails and NVG mount (and black helmet-cover)
    • A helmet-mounted Gen-II/III monocular Night Vision Goggle
    • Flashlight mounted on side-rail
    • Fighting Load Carrier (FLC) type vest with Molle (allowing for attachment of all those pouches)
    • Knee/Elbow Pads and the black leather tactical gloves are the same as seen before on NSG operatives
    • The primary weapon is the HK MP-5A5 with Rail Adapter System (RAS) in 9x19mm, with collapsible stock
    • The sidearm is not entirely visible, but is most likely a Glock (NSG uses it)...the holster support has additional molle.

Yes, as I said above the guy is only wearing an FLC-type vest in this pic which doesn't have a plate-carrier function.

[​IMG]

However this is not the case with all NSG operatives, usually they are seen wearing a plate-carrier vest (BPJ) and an FLC is worn on top of it, like this -

[​IMG]

5. GuardianRED

Country Flag:
    India
    What about communication gear ? tactical radio? .... don't see this as a standard equipment!? i.e there are any pics showing squad based coms

Levina likes this.
  6. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Ofcourse they have integrated communication equipment - I only listed the stuff that was prominently visible in the pic. If I had to include all the stuff an NSG operative would usually carry, that list would be a lot longer (not to mention the fact that I have no information regarding the particular type/models of the other equipment used).

Abingdonboy, Levina and GuardianRED like this.
  7. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
  8. GuardianRED

Country Flag:
    India
    FN SCAR????

9. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    NAH! SIG-551, standard issue for NSG:

[​IMG]

GuardianRED likes this.
  10. GuardianRED

Country Flag:
    India
    Why i didn't see that. Still looks so close like this
    [​IMG]

Abingdonboy likes this.
  11. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    "Blue thunder" unit of SAS:

[​IMG]

Landing on London Bridge after the recent terror attack:
    [​IMG]

The sub-unit was formed after the 2015 attacks in Paris and is based out of 5 airbases/feilds in the UK to respond within minuets (30ish) anywhere in the UK

Made me think about the NSG and its role which is pretty similar to this sub-unit's; intervention during terror attacks to support/relieve local units. Sure we have seen the NSG's equipment improve post-26/11 but this will be immaterial if they can't mobilisa fast enough to get to the scene of the attack as it is unfolding. And this has been the NSG's achilles heel for a long time, yes the hubs improve the situation but even then mobilisation times will suffer if the teams from the hubs have to travel to the incident via road.

The NSG's "ready teams" are on call round the clock to be ready to move out within 3 minuets but given the vast distances in India and local road conditions how long will it take them to reach any attack site? I would wager over an hour for anywhere other than the immediate vicinity of a NSG hub.

NSG hubs have helipads but no helos of their own, having to rely on IAF or CAPF helos instead but are there helos with them 24/7 and ready to go? AFAIK no, they are only called upon when required which adds a considerable time delay (flying from nearest base to NSG hub, landing, embarkation then travelling on to wherever).

Or if the distance is larger and the NSG hub team has to fly via fixed wing a/c then the issue is compounded; getting the nearest helo to come and take the team to the nearest airport (or travel there by road), find/charter a suitable a/c, loading up (if it's a civilian a/c then this will be done with a civilian crew that will be very slow), flying out, landing and the reverse on the opposite side (travel via road/trying to get the relevent helo to meet you etc), it's not only a logistical nightmare but at every single stage time is being lost.

Until the NSG has a dedicated airwing I will not be satisfied that this situation has been resolved, at least 3-4 ALH should be deployed at every hub and at least 2 fixed wing military transports should be operated by the NSG (based out of Palam) that can either fly out the main CT task force (based at Palam) or fly to the relevent airport to pick up a NSG hub's team.

We saw during 26/11 that time is the critical factor, I just really hope we don't see a similar situation repeat itself, India will not be immune to these atrocities for much longer.

@Gessler @Ankit Kumar 001 @MilSpec @Vergennes @nair @Levina @GuardianRED @Sancho @PARIKRAMA @ni8mare @Nilgiri @GSLV Mk III @A_poster

12. Bloom 17

Bloom 17 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    In my opinion, gov should allocate each nsg hub a pair of dhruvs or Any other mi17 series helicopters which are due to retire so if a situation arises they could at least make a single trip to the crisis area.

Darth Marr, PARIKRAMA and Abingdonboy like this.
  13. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Would be a nice interim/immediate measure especially as this role woulnd't require much annual flying (or at least a lot less than in a typical IA/IAF helo unit) but the issue would be with aircrew; the IAF/IA wouldn't want their aircrews tied up with the NSG 24/7 and this would interfere with their training and deployment patterns (even if only on a small scale). Perhaps the NSG could pull in some private pilots? But the optimal solution would be NSG owned and operated helos with dedicated pilots/aircrew.

PARIKRAMA and Bloom 17 like this.
  14. Fox

Fox Supreme Overlord FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Norway
    During the 2011 Utøya Attacks, Norway's police were grounded due to budget cuts that grounded their helicopters forcing them to approach Utøya by boat. 69 people died on the island that day (8 others in Oslo) as a result of the slow response time. The only helicopter on scene belonged to a local media team.

[​IMG]

It took a national tragedy to force a change in how Norway responds to crisis. Today a new police rapid response team exists, more helicopters are available and special operations units train regularly to support the police. My unit, the 330 SAR Squadron trains with the police and special forces often and responded to the Utøya Attacks. I was on Utøya that day. In addition our Home Guard and regular police train to respond within their districts to crises that arise with each group having a sector of responsibility that if needed can be supported by elements of the regular forces too.

Joint Home Guard-police counter-terror exercise.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here the Air Force's 330 Squadron assists fire, police and Coast Guard services during a HarborEx drill to rescue distressed persons.
    [​IMG]

Police helo and one's belonging to the Air Force which also supports police actions.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Air Force supporting FSK and Delta police during a counter-terrorism exercise.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope it doesn't take another tragedy for Indian leaders to realize they need to support their police and rapid response teams with equally rapid transports. That's just an unacceptable risk they're putting on the responders and civilians.

I have nothing against the SIG-551, but is there a replacement in the works? That UBGL seems intrusive too.

At very least a full rail would be nice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  15. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    The NSG have access to helicopters from other units (Army, airforce, Navy or another police unit like the BSF) and train with them reguarly but they don't have their own dedicated aviation unit and this is what I think they really ought to seek. I'm sure you can appreciate the difficulties associated with liasing with multiple forces in times of crisis, a permenant aviation force dedicated for the NSG's needs would cut out any such issues.

The UBGL is ungodly:

[​IMG]

They do have the SIG-552 with the full rail:

[​IMG]

But I agree, I would like to see a replacement for this rifle (especially in the DMR role).

+ I remember that awful day in 2011 in Utøya, I cannot imagine what you experienced, I have enourmous respect for you and your colleagues for their work on that day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
    GuardianRED, Gessler and PARIKRAMA like this.