Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

National Security Guard (NSG): News, Discussions & Pictures

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by Gessler, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Bloom 17

Bloom 17 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I don't know about other cities but personally I observed Hyderabad police force ( I visited Hyderabad after two year) has made a good improvement regarding quality and arms procurement. They moved on from thupaki rifles to carbines. These are couple of fully armed men going around the city 24/7 ( black scorpios marked force on them) I was told police drills have been happening more frequently in public places. Last year I even came to know a 26/11 type attach was prevented in a shopping mall (inorbit mall). The state gov is genuinely maturing in standards. Traffic Police stopped taking bribes wen I tried to bribe him off.

GuardianRED and Gessler like this.
  2. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I live in Hyderabad full-time now and I will say the improvements aren't that worthwhile. :no:

The only black Scorpios I've seen are Interceptors. I've seen the guys in them equipped with shotguns (couldn't get a good look on the make/model, I was zooming past in a car myself...but most probably an OFB-made 12 gauge), which I'd imagine are useful for shooting out the tyres on disobeying/dangerous vehicles.

Police across the country (and I'm talking about the daily-duty constables) are switching to AK, INSAS or SLR variants from the older Ishapore 2A1 (locally made Lee-Enfield SMLE in 7.62 Nato/308 Winchester). But this isn't where the real improvements need to be, as a lot of Police QRTs even in major cities remain under-equipped or improperly equipped (both in firepower & protection). This is less of a problem in some cities, which have already developed dedicated SWAT teams and are receiving proper training & equipment.

In fact I don't think the regular constables even need full-auto assault rifles (they get the guns they're getting now mostly as hand-me-downs from the Army)...they'd otherwise do well with pistol-caliber carbines. It's the QRTs that need to have the major firepower AND be ready for the Quick-Response as their name says.

Bloom 17 likes this.
  3. Bloom 17

Bloom 17 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Yea probably I saw those interceptors. They were carrying AKs.

Gessler likes this.
  4. Vergennes

Vergennes Strategist Staff Member MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France

France has pledged to give an armed response within 20 minutes of the attacks,anywhere in the country. We privileged the creation of more local branches of the BRI,RAID and GIGN across the country so they are able to cover the territory and intervene faster. The use of vehicles is privileged of course as compared to India our roads aren't total chaos. (Sorry for the expression.)

We understood that the first units reaching a terror attack scene could play a major role in stopping the bloodbath. We have the Gendarmerie PSIG (Surveillance and Intervention Platoons) and the Police BAC units that have been trained and equipped to deal with terror attacks before the anti terror units eventually reach the scene.

The first responding units will block the area (they are also being supplied with ballistic helmets and plate carriers) ;

bf1.jpg

While the many platoons spread across the country quickly reach the scene and respond to the attack ;

bf2.jpg
    bf3.jpg
    bf4.jpg

Before eventually the anti terror forces (RAID,GIGN,BRI) reach the scene and respond to the attack. (Crucial minutes and probably many lives saved)

Of course India and France are both different countries with India being much bigger and also the traffic conditions which aren't in your favor.

5. nair

nair Die hard Romeo Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Ever Wondered What Kind Of Rigorous Training Our Special Forces Go Through? An Inside Account

Seventy per cent of those who voluntarily opt for the Indian Special Forces fail.

Seventy per cent. Let that sink in.

The Indian Special Forces are the crème-de-la-crème of our soldiers, men who train in ‘expectation of the absolute worst’. There is no training manual. What they endure to pass a whole year of brutal training and probation must remain in the shadows. What we do know is that they have to go through an unforgiving regime of physical torture tests, coupled with terrifying trials that judge their mental toughness, while they are deprived of sleep and combating starvation. All this is designed to find their ‘breaking point’. If that breaking point is ever found, they’re out.

[​IMG]
    While I was researching Operation Jinnah, I heard several hair-raising tales from serving Special Forces officers. I narrate just a few here.

No Special Forces soldier forgets the ‘stress phase’ of training. One officer was ordered to begin his sleep deprivation cycles right at the start: the first cycle lasted three days without sleep; the second cycle, five days. He then had to stay awake in a standing position for a whole week.

Finally, at the end of that week, he was grilled for two hours about a war drill where an officer on probation had ‘fucked things up’ – all to see if the officer would break and give them the name just so they would let him rest.

Then there was the officer who remembered how his seniors randomly ordered high intensity physical tasks during a regular mental stress test, ‘just to mix things up’. He was ordered onto a treadmill at a very high speed and incline, in full combat gear, for 15 minutes, while three senior officers stood next to him and screamed out his flaws. It nearly broke him. Nearly.

[​IMG]
    During a field survival training at an uninhabited island in the Andaman & Nicobar, a squad of Marine Commandos had been deployed for eight days without rations – a simulated marooning in a warfare setting. The men had to prepare their own drinking water from the dew they collected and eat off the land – crabs, mostly. The island had no vegetation; they woke up at sunrise and conducted amphibious drills with weapons all day long, as the harsh tropical sun beat down on them. By the end, four of the men were at the end of their limits.

A para-commando is not just a warrior; they also have to train for two other key tasks: intelligence gathering and developing local contacts. In Jammu and Kashmir, two officers were asked to wear burqas and walk alongside a nullah down a hill to a village near the team base, and then cross back. It was a small settlement, but a hostile one, a stopping point for terrorists infiltrating via the Uri-Bandipora area. They very nearly failed. The task has never been ordered since.

Then there’s the story of the hangul.

[​IMG]
    It’s a tale I will never forget. Every time I think of it, I can smell it.

On a June afternoon, an unmarked Maruti Gypsy was making its way towards the Srinagar-Bandipora highway when the driver slams the brakes at something lying on the road. Two men step out of the vehicle to have a closer look, and they find the carcass of a large deer. A hangul perhaps, native to J&K, but they aren’t sure. Flies are swarming over the animal’s eyes, tongue and the pulpy wounds on the blood-stained fur.

Then one of them orders the other to ‘open it’. The junior doesn’t flinch. He pulls out a 9-inch hunting knife, gets on his knees and plunges the blade into the dead animal’s stomach. He tightens his grip, and in one motion, slices the animal open from its stomach to the base of its rib cage. He parts the animal’s rotting flesh. A horrible stench rises. The senior doesn’t blink. The junior runs the back of his hand unconsciously across his nose. He is then issued a second order: ‘Place your head in the carcass.

The junior pauses for a moment. He holds apart the flesh, holds his breath, and buries his head in the carcass. He tries not to breathe. The flies swarm to this new feast. Suddenly, the he feels the steel grip of the senior forcing his head deeper into the animal’s guts. He gasps, the festering fluids coating his face. His head is held inside the rotting deer for a whole minute, maybe longer.

The senior, a Major, and the junior, a Lieutenant, belonged to a Special Forces team from a battalion of the Army’s Parachute Regiment. The Lieutenant was in his second week of probation, a three-month period that soldiers spend in their active units before they are declared fit and worthy of operations.

‘We train in expectation of the absolute worst,’ he told me. Having his head shoved into a dead deer was a mere appetizer for what would follow.

This is by @SHIV AROOR

@Hellfire @Abingdonboy @Levina @Ankit Kumar 001

Bloom 17, GuardianRED, Art90 and 5 others like this.
  6. Levina

Levina Admin- Social media Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Yes I had read this article few days back when's Shiv had posted it on his profile.
    Rolling through the drains is another one of the incidents that I have heard of.
    Gosh! No wonder these guys have nerves of steel.

7. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

A typical probationer's (officer's) schedule for 50 Para Bde, I have posted about it earlier:

DAY 1 (of Day 0)

The Arrival

1. Arrival at Agra Cantt Railway Station. The uninformed will be in his best of clothes with Ray Bans on and the swanky Woodland Shoes and a pair of well fitting Levi's.

2. Reception by the Reception NCO at the Movement Control Office (MCO) of the Railway Station (You will find such MCO Offices at Railway stations all over the country for Move coordination and control). YOu are asked for your luggage and asked to reconfirm that all your luggage has been handed over. The typical luggage of an Army Officer is a Backpack (70 to 90 Litres on an average, and it will be invariably a disruptive pattern/olive green colour back pack, and a 30 Litre Buddy Bag, slung on his chest), a laptop bag and a Holdall/kitbag for his bedding along with the trunk (no officer moves without a small steel trunk).

3. As your luggage is placed in a 2.5 Tonne TATA truck, you surprised to find no light vehicle (Gypsy could have been sent, damn it!) for your travel. Then you are informed of your new load, a 20 kg backpack loaded and ready, and you are asked to put it onyour back and 'follow the vehicle' till the unit location. (WTF? It is 42'C at 1130 hrs in August damn it, the humidity and heat will kill me!!! Do they want to kill me in this heat? Why the hell did I not know this? And my shoes and clothes will be ruined? How will I get them washed? Damn!)

4. A nice run through the city as the vehicle slowly moves ahead and you, with you 20 kgs, are running behind it. Obviously the heavy traffic of Agra ensures that there is never a situation where you lose sight of your vehicle, and there is never a moment when anyone stares at you either, as the civil population of Agra can guess who the person is, and in fact, a few pitying eyes do give you the cursory glance! :D

5. Somehow, after surviving a 5 km brisk run in severe heat of Agra, exacerbated by the immense humidity of the season, you reach your unit's main gate. There, you are asked for your identity card, something that is always carried by the officer on his body (in the mean time your luggage is quickly offloaded at the main gate itself, without you realising what is happening). After due verification, you are asked to leave your backpack at the gate and to shift to your assigned barracks (an officer always stay with the men in barracks in the initial stages in any infantry/parachute regiment). If you are lucky, the reception NCO would have informed your 'stick' (or section if you would have it; you are not advised that you have been assigned a stick already) of your arrival and a couple of guys may just come to help you out with your luggage, otherwise, you are expected to lug your stuff yourself, trying to find the barracks at the same time. Usually, this does not come to pass as team work is an essential segment of evaluation and one of the first thing noticed is how the team members respond.

6. Within minutes of arrival, somehow, the team will make itself scarce as it is lunch time or they have to be somewhere else. After the senior NCO of the stick assigns you your cot in the barrack, you have the task of setting yourself up and changing into your BDUs. Before you can finish the task (5 mins to unpack and 3 mins to get ready), the barber is in. You are in urgent requirement of a hair cut it seems.

7. Shortly, after getting a hair cut from someone who wanted to play act the role for the day, you find that the machine was too near to scalp, your hair have been cut too close, and you have in fact been sheared off. So the kind barber offers to shave your head for you. Since you are looking like a wet cat, you shrug, it is a norm to be closely cropped in all training institutes. Now, being an officer, why have that ugly look? Become Bruce Willis instead. So, you end up with a clean pate!

8. Of course, it is the evening games time. Since you are new, you are to be given an excuse for the day, so you can have a relaxed evening. Obviously, by now you realise the warped sense of humour here too. So, instead, a 5 km run will be your task. So, off you go, running through Sadar Bazaar of Agra in your BDUs and combat boots, with a shaved head, with all the prettiest things walking in Jeans/short skirts and tight tops, giving you a look of amusement and sympathy at the same time. Obviously, you give a look back, as you are fit, part of the elite PARA brigade (or so you think) and you know 5 kms basic run you finish in excellent. Having run with 20 kgs today, you are authorised to slack off. So you finish your run in 32minutes instead of 22 (was it really 5 km? The guide must have taken me on a longer route! Or maybe I am tired and felt it is longer), and reach back. And you meet your probation NCO, who is unhappy with your timing and asks your credentials of being physically fit as has been recommended, muttering on lack of physical fitness in you being a no go already (Damn it, I am a straight excellent, I finish my 5 kms in Combat Dress with 5 Kgs load and weapon in 20 Mins!!!!!! WTF is wrong with you? ...... words only screamed in your head).

9. Since your probation NCO is unhappy, he will ask you to give him 20 push ups. LOL! 20? As you bend down and place your palms on the ground, the shriek of the NCO comes out, 'Sir, what are you doing? Please follow me.' And he sets off on a brisk pace (walking) to the nearby road.

10. There you come onto a patch that was supposedly a tar road, filled with crushed stones speckles and razor sharp pebbles, as the road has lost it's tar and is pot holed and in poor shape. There your kind NCO asks you to bend on your knuckles (WTF!!!) and assume a 'bend' position.

11. As you assume the position, obviously he has some work coming up and needs to speak over a mobile set, and he asks you to hold your position and not start until he gives a go ahead. As you are bent, the debris and pebbles and sharp edges of the stones start digging into your knuckles. After about 5 minutes, (during which lactic acid has finished your forearm, upper back muscles and triceps) he suddenly remembers to start you on the 20 pushups, on command count.

12. As he says 'bend', you bend, he scribbles something 'important' on his notepad, then says stretch, and you extend your arms, you feel you may survive it. After approximately 45 seconds, you find you have finished only 3 push ups as the NCO is 'distracted' with calls and notes. By the time you hit the 5th sequence, your arms are gone, your knuckles are hurting, and sweat is flowing down your face and back!

13. Somehow, around 17th, the NCO realises that your body was bending as you executed the push ups (obviously it shall bend, the lower back had given up 5 mins back!!!), and that is not a correct method. So, now the set has to be repeated.

14. In 20 minutes, you finish your 20 push ups, and realise, you never could do a single till date.

15. After that, since it is a light day being arrival day, the officer is asked to stand up. As you stand up, you realise your skin over knuckles has split and is bleeding. As you give your shattered skin a stare, the kind NCO notices it, and expressing his sympathies, asks you to start doing front rolls. Ah!! At least that shall stretch the knotting up muscles of the back. And so you start .......................................................................................................................... and you do not stop! You are tired, been 20 minutes and now exhaustion is resulting in your head touching the ground when you execute your front roll, on the same damn 'road' and now the skin of your head is splitting along the coronal plane! Damn! Amir Khan in Gajini could not match the look that you have now!

15. After 45 minutes or so of your stretching your back, you, in the opinion of the esteemed NCO, obviously need a break from this boring rolls. So, he asks if you have visited a zoo. 'Of course, I have visited a zoo, what stupid question is this?' (again you scream in your head only). So you nod a yes. 'Have you seen a crocodile move, sir?' the NCO asks. 'No, they were sleeping when I saw them at the Crocodile Farm outside Chennai!' you answer truthfully. He then wants you to learn how a crocodile moves. (WTF????) So, again you are asked to ' bend'. But this time, not on outstretched arms. This time, it is on knuckles with flexed arms, with the elbow joint locked to the side of your ribs and body balanced on a flat plane parallel to ground on tips of toes and knuckles. Then you are 'taught' how a crocodile moves. It is now discovered by you that as per the NCO, the crocodile moves hopping on it's knuckles and toe tips (all together) while holding it's body parallel to the surface, about 3 inches off the ground. Of course, your shattered knuckles are now shredded to a level where even the subcutaneous tissue (thinnest here) is also gone, and you can see your Metacarpophalangeal joints, all of them :)

16. After 20 odd minutes, you are deemed sufficiently refreshed to do another round of push ups before going for horizontal and vertical ropes. The situation repeats itself, only you are way worse off.

17. Then the ropes. The horizontal rope is the easiest obstacle tackled by a soldier. You are relieved. You are asked to tackle this easy obstacle. You go up the vertical rope (short climb) and reach the horizontal rope, waiting for command to traverse the rope. Sudden change of orders, release your leg grip and hang down on out stretched arms from the horizontal rope. You do that. Maybe pull ups due? Yes it is .... 3 pull ups on count. The story repeats. You pull up, the NCO gets busy as you have flexed arms and chin on ropes and lactic acid is filling what little space is left in your muscles), and you wait for a lifetime till you are asked to relax (extend your arms and hang in neutral position). After 1-2 minutes of this 'fun with ropes', you are asked to make a grip with your legs again to traverse the rope, an easy task made impossible due to tremendous lactic acid built up. You somehow manage to get a touch on rope and stabilise your grip, and you have cramps hitting your lower abdomen, yet complete the rope, repeat the sequence of pull ups, before getting down.

18. On vertical rope, not much can be done. Class 3 rope (grip with arms and legs) anyone can do, so you do it. NCO gets you to do class 2 (only on arms) and you barely reach the mark (3 meters high), but manage.

19. As it is getting dark (1900 hrs), and you are expected at the Officers Mess at 1930 (where is it? Sir, it is 3.5 kms away. How will I reach there? Sir, you will reach there.) you are made to relax in a Maharaja position. This is one of the most painful position one can find him/herself in. It involves balancing your body on forehead and feet, forming a triangle with the ground with your ass being the apex. If performed on the 'road' or even on a tiled floor, the consequence is a nice looking bruise on your forehead and severe pain throughout. 10 minutes of being a Maharaja, you are asked to break off and push for dinner.

20. You rush to Barracks, pull off your BDUs and Combat Boots, quickly dress up into 'Open Collars' (A shirt always a light colored one, a trouser always a dark shade, a belt, and a pari of Black Brogue shoes) and run 3.5 kms to the mess, as you were expected there at 1930 and it is 1955 already.

21. You reach there, the Officers are waiting for you. They aren not happy that you have arrived 25 minutes late, the CO is already at the Bar. So, as a reminder not to repeat this, you are asked to give 100 push ups before moving in. Easy. Done with. You move in. The CO is happy to meet you and offers you a drink. You decline. The CO indicates it is an offer 'that can not be refused'. So you agree. You get a Whiskey Glass filled to the brim with Old Monk Rum. The mandatory cheers. Everyone downs one. Your glass is quickly replenished. Officers begin asking you questions, the social aspect of knowing who you are, and you are asked to down the entire contents of the glass in one go as per orders. Soon, you are 11 down, and too drunk and need to throw up. You rush out and throw up. And are sick. The junior most of the officers comes to help you out. Cleans you up. 30 minutes gone. All have already had their food. CO has left! WTF? Where have I been?

22. You return to bar and find the officers angry. CO was unhappy that you drank so much! You protest that you do not drink and he insisted! You are advised to stick to carbonated drinks from next day on. You agree. So help you understand their directives, you are asked to climb a tree outside, just at the entrance. You hurry out, with all officers following you. You find the tree is a palm tree!! How the hell do you climb that without spikes???

23. And the cycle continues!!! You run, you front roll, you become a Maharaja, you tear your knuckles more and by 2335 hrs, you wish you would be dead. Then suddenly it all stops. You are asked to head back. No taxi or autorickshaw in sight! So you run back to your unit, still drunk and hungry. You were being 'sorted out' at officers mess, and not even offered food :D

24. You reach the unit. The sentry in night duty is a kind guy. Tells you food has been kept by him and his duty det at the Mess. You go and hardly eat anything. And lie down in your cot. The others are sleeping and it is pitch black. Too drunk and tired to pull off clothes, you plonk into the cot. It is 0005 hrs. Day 1 of Day 0 over.

25. Your eyes closed and next instant you are being shaken up. You wake to find lights on, and the Duty NCO asking you to fall out in 05 minutes at the basket ball court. You look around, all are sleeping. You get up check the time 0012 hours!!! Shit!!!!

8. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Forgive my errors if any. This was hastily penned just now. The Zero Week is what I mean by Day 0. Your first week is not your probation week.

That is why Day 0 continues for 7 days, as your sleep deprivation reaches a level where 5 minutes is the daily average in first half of week and 1 hour for second half (if you are smart, otherwise 30 minutes it is)

nair and Levina like this.
  9. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    With Terror Attacks happening in Europe - we unfortunately might see something similar in india soon.

As many posted here, to stop/reduce loss of life is the need for a Quick Repose is vital . Therefore a SpecOps Squadron is needed. A basic frame would not do + But one fitted with surveillance/sensor Pods which will help the team on the ground!

In additional to this - the following SHOULD be Implemented

- Completed Media Blackout
    - Complete evacuation of non-combatants and have the area Cornered Off and barricaded
    - Completed communication blackout

Honestly, read about all this is - "In a Tom Clacy Book - Rainbow Six" way back in 2000, and made ME SICK with what I saw with the lack of equipment and procedure that wasn't followed during the 26/11

Hope things are changing sooner than later!

Bloom 17 and Hellfire like this.
  10. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
  11. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
  12. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
  13. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Only some pretty old pics:

[​IMG]

There aren't very many pics of the NSG on the net so the chances of seeing it are pretty slim :/

14. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Gessler , if you notice, the new BDU was worn for the marching/jogging contingent of the NSG during R-day parade:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gessler likes this.
  15. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom