Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Navy MMRCA News & Discussion

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by Dilemma, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ved Mishra

Ved Mishra Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I think IN will be going with only Mig29s and N-tejas totalling aroung 70-80 jets. It has already selected its N-MMRCA by selecting Mig29K. They will possibly use both of these jets in all carriers in future. Interesting to see if N-Tejas will have folded wings or not.

I think they will compliment eachother nicely in all roles antishipping. A2G and A2A. Interesting thing will be to know of their weapon mix in these roles.

I donot think IN will go for Rafale or F35 or any other foreign jet in near future.

2. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

As jagjitnatt pointed out, the question is how many of them are left for operational service?

In regard to INS Vikramaditya, I feel it is more important when the carrier will be available and the crews can start training on it, because even if we have all the Migs by that time, we don't have the neccesarry training and experience to operate a such a STOBAR carrier.

3. MAFIAN GOD

MAFIAN GOD Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Sancho dude,we already have sent our men to Russia for the training of operating and maintaining the INS Vikramaditya.
    http://expressbuzz.com/nation/navy-gearing-up-to-lay-hands-on-vikramaditya/265787.html

4. MAFIAN GOD

MAFIAN GOD Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Sancho dude,we already have sent our men to Russia for the training of operating and maintaining the INS Vikramaditya.
    Navy gearing up to lay hands on Vikramaditya | Vikramaditya | | Indian Express:cheers:

5. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

I know and we already are training Mig 29K pilots on arrested landing and ski-jump take offs on land bases, but what takes longer, train 2 dozen pilots for take offs and landings, while the rest is the same with any combat fighter, or hundreds of sailors to operate such a huge vessel with totally new systems, that they never used before?
    Operating the INS Vikramaditya will be not that easy at the begining, that's why we wanted to have the carrier 8 years ago, to have enough experience when our indigenous carrier arrives. That's why I meant, even when the carrier is available by next year (which I have to see to believe it), it will take time till we really can field into service. Even if not all Migs will be delivered till then, we could still use the Harriers in addition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.