Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

New ISI chief shares tenuous link with Shah Rukh Khan

Discussion in 'South Asia & SAARC' started by SamBahadur, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamBahadur

SamBahadur 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan's new ISI chief, Lt Gen Zahir-ul-Islam, is the nephew of Indian National Army hero Shah Nawaz Khan and through him, shares a tenuous link with Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan.

Islam's father served as a brigadier in the Pakistan Army and Shah Nawaz Khan, who was a major general in the INA led by Subhas Chandra Bose, was his uncle, leading Pakistani defence analyst Ikram Sehgal told PTI.

"One son of Shah Nawaz Khan went with him at the time of Partition, while another, Mahmood Nawaz, stayed on in Pakistan and became a full colonel. In fact, Mahmood Nawaz went and met his father only after retirement as he could not travel to India while he was in service," Sehgal said, providing details of the new ISI chief's extended family.

Shah Rukh Khan's late mother Lateef Fatima was the adopted daughter of Shah Nawaz Khan, according to the Bollywood star's biography on several websites.

Islam, who was yesterday appointed the new head of the powerful spy agency by Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, comes from a military family and was born in the garrison city of Rawalpindi. It could not immediately be ascertained whether Islam had ever met Shah Nawaz Khan, who died in 1983.

Shah Nawaz Khan was himself born at Kahuta and served in the British Indian Army during World War II. He was captured when Japanese troops overran Singapore in 1942 and then joined the INA. He subsequently fought alongside Japanese forces against the British in Burma (now Myanmar).

Shah Nawaz Khan was captured by the British and put on trial with other INA officers in 1946. They were convicted for treason but were discharged due to intense pressure from the public.

He later joined the Congress party and was elected to the Lok Sabha four times. Before Islam's appointment as the ISI chief, some media reports had suggested that Bollywood star Saif Ali Khan's uncle Maj Gen Isfandyar Ali Khan Pataudi, a deputy director general in the spy agency, was in the running for the top slot. However, sources told PTI that Pataudi was never seen as a serious contender for the post of ISI chief.[HR]http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/pakistan/New-ISI-chief-shares-tenuous-link-with-Shahrukh-Khan/articleshow/12208084.cms[/HR]

2. KAUTILYA

KAUTILYA Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

OMG!The other day some one told me that the New ISI chief was Saif Ali Khans uncle and now suddenly where did Sahrukh come up from!!? Hopefully this is not another propaganda by the ISI.:unsure:

3. Zaki

Zaki FULL MEMBER

Saif Ali Khan's uncle was one of the few contenders short-listed for new DG ISI. The Prime Minister of Pakistan chose LT Gen Zahir-ul-Islam who is distant relative of Shahrukh Khan as per Indian media

4. SajeevJino

SajeevJino Major SENIOR MEMBER

Pakistan appoints new chief of powerful spy agency''

Pakistan on Friday appointed a new head of its powerful military intelligence agency -- an organisation which has been accused of maintaining links with Taliban militants in the past.

"Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has appointed lieutenant general Zaheer ul Islam, corps commander Karachi, as new director general Inter Services Intelligence (ISI)," a senior government official told AFP.

A statement later issued by Gilani's office confirmed the new appointment but gave no details.

"The outgoing ISI chief lieutenant general Ahmed Shuja Pasha is retiring on March 18 and Islam will take up the position then," the official said.

Pasha, who was appointed ISI chief in September 2008, is considered to be close to Pakistan's military chief Ashfaq Kayani, who ran the intelligence agency himself until October 2007.

The ISI is feared within Pakistan as it plays a central, although covert, political role in a country that has spent more than half of its history since independence in 1947 under military rule.

Tensions between the army and government soared last year over a note seeking Washington's help to curb the military's powers amid fears of a coup after the US raid that killed Osama bin Laden in the city of Abbottabad.

The memo allegedly delivered to the then chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, was first made public by an American-Pakistani businessman in October.

Both Pasha and Kayani wanted a judicial inquiry into the affair, dubbed "memogate", while the civilian government sought to play it down. A judicial commission appointed by the Supreme Court is investigating.

The ISI has helped capture or kill hundreds of senior Al-Qaeda militants in Pakistan since it joined the "war on terror" in 2001, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the self-confessed 9/11 mastermind.

But many Western officials suspect that, having helped to create the Taliban that ruled Afghanistan from 1996 to 2001, the organisation has been playing a double game.

Pakistan strongly denies any such links, although former military ruler Pervez Musharraf admitted in 2006 that some retired Pakistani intelligence officers may have been abetting extremists.

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Pakistan_appoints_new_chief_of_powerful_spy_agency_999.html

5. Anish

Anish Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    We must put the khan family under heavy surveillance and monitor his meetings with politicos.

6. tunguska

tunguska Major SENIOR MEMBER

Absolutely. Further need to check his IPL team cash transaction also.

7. Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones Doctor Death Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Why just because some of his relatives hold higher position in Pakistan?

I'm not against this surveillance thing, but the reason put is lame. I believe every influential person should be put under some sort of surveillance to get a better picture of their income sources and their activities.

1 person likes this.
  8. rocky.idf

rocky.idf BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    Bangladesh
    1.Pataudi was never in the run. Is not senior enough. He is a Director in ISI. In the tightly compartmental set up in ISI a Director is very powerful and practically un-answerable to anyone for his deputed work.

2. Zahir belongs to a family and also comes from an area well known for distinguished military service. Gen Shah Nawaz'es son Mahmud Nawaz was commissioned in the same battalion of the Punjab Regt that the Gen had belonged to. He was an Under Officer at PMA but retired as a Colonel.

9. tunguska

There are enogh reasons to put him under surveillance
    SRK has been drawn again into controversies, for his concert in London for fund relief in Pakistan. Please recall that Pakistan was thinking 10 times when India offered them relief funds. Now SRK is willingly performing for them.
    Please refer his movies starting from ‘Mai hoon na’ were he is portraying Indian terrorism which is no were there. But in that movie not a single in fingers were raised on terrorism from pakistan.All his movies try to prove one point, his love towards Pakistan and his lesser or may be no love towards his own country.
    This guy supports Pakistanis like anything, as if he is a Pakistani while in fact he is an Indian. He performs for cricketers of both countries only, you will not see him in performing for only Indian cricketers. SRK has time again proved that his love for Pakistan is more then that for India.
    So sad that those who speak for this point are just waved off just because he is a star. So what he needs to prove his love for this country. Never did we hear him condemning 26/11 attacks but you will always find him favoring the country which has been the biggest hurdle in it’s own development and our development as well.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  10. Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones Doctor Death Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    If i was a celebrity, and five minutes of my public appearance could feed millions of poor and underprivileged class, i'd have done that without any second thought. Why are you mixing politics with humanity? Our enemy is Pakistani government, not its citizens.

How'd you rate Imraan Hashmi's role in 'Awarapaan', where he died rescuing a Pakistani girl from flesh trade organisation. Or Saif Ali Khan's role in 'Kurban'?

I can post many videos proving you wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  11. tunguska

Categorically you are right. At that time Indian government’s aid was intended for Pakistani citizen but they wanted to invite aid through UN. But it is not topic here. My point is that he was in London on the same day when there was an anniversary of 26/11 attack. At least he must have avoided that. How you view this?
    Further I am not fond of films but I do watches the film when patriotism comes in picture in that intention I have watched that ‘Mai hoon na’. I have not watched both stated film but I will appreciate your feedback what you are trying to co-relate.
    When here rajdeep has asked the question then he was replying regarding the 26/11.even celebrity from the Pakistan would also say the same if asked about the same question for same topic. I would appreciate more video from you so I can say I am wrong. However this is my feedback.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  12. Tailchopper

Tailchopper Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Pakistan
  13. tunguska

Kindly post this man complete details & various assignment done by him

14. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    wat a bullsh** post man. seriously get a life.

15. tunguska

it is my point of view and nothing wrong i have said. and you are free to post your view.Please do not use this language.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.