Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Nirmala Sitharaman is the new Defense Minister of India

Discussion in 'Indian Defence Industry' started by X_Killer, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Very good.....A strong willed, clear minded and intelligent lady...

Hellfire and X_Killer like this.
  2. Veeran

Veeran BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    I do admire Nirmala Sitaraman, but I wish it was someone from Army/Navy/RAW/IB who was appointed. Nirmala Sitaraman was good for commerce and industries as she had experiance there. Although I look forward to watching her in defense, I think this appointment could've been done better, since we need more action in defence ministry.

X_Killer likes this.
  3. Veeran

Veeran BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    I would've appreciated a paper on how to bring back all Indians working on foreign tech companies and make them start a defense company in Bharat.

Bloom 17 and X_Killer like this.
  4. X_Killer

X_Killer Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]

Hellfire likes this.
  5. X_Killer

Country Flag:
    India
    Trolls are on its way....

6. X_Killer

Country Flag:
    India
    Who is Nirmala Sitharaman, India’s first full-time woman Defence Minister
    Nirmala Sitharaman has been chosen as India's new Defence Minister. With a promotion in PM Modi's cabinet, Sitharaman has taken charge of the key defence ministry from Arun Jaitley.
    By: FE Online | Published: September 3, 2017 2:32 PM

[​IMG]
    Nirmala Sitharaman is India’s first woman Defence Minister. Before this, former India Prime Minister Indira Gandhi has held this post. (PTI)

Nirmala Sitharaman has been chosen as India’s new Defence Minister. Promoted today, Sitharaman has taken charge of the key defence ministry from Arun Jaitley, who had expressed his intent openly of preferring not to carry the added responsibility. 58 year old, Sitharaman, is India’s first woman Defence Minister. Before this, former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi had held this post. As nine new ministers were inducted on Sunday, four ministers including Sitharaman were elevated to the cabinet. Before her selection, there was speculation on whether Jaitley would remain serving as Defence Minister.

Jaitley has been handling the ministry after Manohar Parrikar quit to become the Goa’s chief minister. After Parrikar’s exit India lacked a full-time Defence Minister which led to several criticisms regarding many critical tasks including military reforms. With increased pressure on both India-Pakistan and India-China borders, there was an increased need for a full-time minister to tackle its issues. Sitharaman’s selection came as a bit of a surprise as Nitin Gadkari’s name was recently speculated for the post. Also, after the success in Doklam Standoff, Jaitley was expected to keep the post. However, Jaitley had indicated he may not be defence minister for much longer.

Sitharaman has served as a Minister of State for Finance and Corporate Affairs under the Ministry of Finance headed by Arun Jaitley and the Minister of Commerce and Industry with independent charge. She is a Rajya Sabha member and represents Karnataka in the Parliament.

Formerly a member of the National Commission for Women, Sitharaman has an MA degree in economics from Jawaharlal Nehru University. She also has a PhD in the Indo-European textile trade within the GATT framework and MPhil.She had joined the BJP in 2006 even though her husband Dr Parakala Prabhakar had joined the Prajarajyam party floated by film star Chiranjeevi in 2007. It was during Nitin Gadkari’s tenure as BJP president that Nirmala Sitharaman was enlisted as one of the six party spokespersons in March 2010. In May 2016, Nirmala Sitharaman was sworn in as Minister of State (Independent Charge).

She had joined the BJP in 2006 even though her husband Dr Parakala Prabhakar had joined the Prajarajyam party floated by film star Chiranjeevi in 2007. It was during Nitin Gadkari’s tenure as BJP president that Nirmala Sitharaman was enlisted as one of the six party spokespersons in March 2010. In May 2016, Nirmala Sitharaman was sworn in as Minister of State (Independent Charge).

Sancho and Hellfire like this.
  7. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Nirmala- N. I presume that she had been named as per traditions of Hindus in which the child is normally given the name as per his/her Rashi. This starting letter of her name comes under Scorpio Zodiac as per Indian astrology based on Moon signs. The lord of this Zodiac is Lord of War Mars-Mangal. This Zodiac also happens to be the Janam Lagna and Rashi of Our PM. India got independence on the mid night of 15th Aug 1947 in Tauras lagna. Scorpio is 7th from Tauras Lagna and Tauras lagna is a female sign with Venus as its lord.
    I foresee that she will turn out to be the biggest asset for NaMo and will do wonders for our Nation as she will prove to be extremely Lucky for the nation. Her cool, calm and unrelenting nature which hides her steely will is a trade mark of Scorpio woman.

8. An Indian

An Indian 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I've heard a lot of good things about her.

The fact that she has Industry experience is really good. She will get sufficient support from the Tri-Services. We need to integrate Indian industry into the Defence sector. Design (and consequently Make) in India is so absolutely critical for the country. We need our own Lockheed Martins to come up.

Hellfire, Veeran and X_Killer like this.
  9. Grevion

Grevion Professional Think Troll IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    Good choice.:tup:
    She's a good, strong and independent women plus she kind of that no nonsense attitude.

An Indian, Hellfire and X_Killer like this.
  10. Ved Mishra

Ved Mishra Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Tough time for service chiefs to switch from SIR to Madam.

X_Killer likes this.
  11. Veeran

Veeran BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    I hope so. I just want whatever is best for the nation.
    Regarding LM, we need an ISRO for defense, not LM.
    The talent and know how exists in our nation, the problem is within top govt. defense bodies like HAL, DRDO, Defence Ministry, etc.
    Wat we need is the defence sector also to be directly controlled by PMO like ISRO is.

An Indian, Bloom 17 and X_Killer like this.
  12. NKVD

NKVD Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Not New If you remember Indra's Time Or even in UPA era you know what I mean :azn:

X_Killer likes this.
  13. randomradio

randomradio Colonel Technical Analyst

A really good choice for the DM post. She's done pretty well under Industry and Commerce.

X_Killer likes this.
  14. Veeran

Veeran BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    It's Onam and this is how we feel in Kerala now:

kiduva21, Grevion and X_Killer like this.
  15. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    If a person doesn't use Bislery water in his hand , in desert but tries to find a oasis , he is called " Idiot"

The meaning I want to convey is, selection on basis of expertise