Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Nirmala Sitharaman is the new Defense Minister of India

Discussion in 'Indian Defence Industry' started by X_Killer, Sep 3, 2017.

1. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I am not so sure about the choice, Piyush Goyal was a probably the best choice for this. Anyways I hope she does well...

X_Killer likes this.
  2. SUNDRA ANAND

SUNDRA ANAND FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Malaysia
    There is a saying viz. a woman is like a teabag...you will not know how strong she is until she is dipped in hot water...

Levina, vstol jockey and X_Killer like this.
  3. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I am guessing you are not married. Cool DP though.

Grevion, TrueGR!T, Levina and 2 others like this.
  4. Notsuperstitious

Notsuperstitious 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    If there is one thing we have learned that is the money at stake is so high and that all bureaucrats and generals are so well entrenched that a meaningful change is tough, even if Modi handles the ministry.

Thats the bitter truth.

X_Killer likes this.
  5. SUNDRA ANAND

SUNDRA ANAND FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Malaysia
    Actually I got it from NCIS: Los Angeles TV Series Season 8 Episode 13 where the Chief, an old lady says it to one of her lady agents at a crucial juncture. Yes, I am unmarried.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    X_Killer likes this.
  6. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Modi and Doval are the crux of the problem. They say something and do something very different. Parrikar was sent to Goa as he was very clear about the direction India needs to take to be self reliant in weapons. The new DM is the choice of Doval who wants to remote control MOD and Armed Forces of India by acting as De-Facto DM. But this lady will show him his place.

X_Killer likes this.
  7. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Agressive yes, knowledgeable at least not as a spokeswoman, since she preference to belive that who shouts the loudest, wins the argument.

But lets see if she finally is a DM that can perform in the MoD and if she will act on her own.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Levina and X_Killer like this.
  8. Levina

Levina Admin- Social media Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Hehehe
    That's your perception!

X_Killer likes this.
  9. Levina

Levina Admin- Social media Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Sir what's wrong with Doval? :(

TrueGR!T and X_Killer like this.
  10. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Of course, based on her performance in that specific duty. I didn't followed her work in the government so far, so I am waiting to see her act as a DM. Everyone deserves a chance to be judged by his or her performance, not just on past merits, or as it is now in the media, because she is a woman.

What counts is, if the forces benefit from her work at the end!

An Indian and X_Killer like this.
  11. ghostwhowalks

ghostwhowalks FULL MEMBER

and what exactly are you basing this on? Just because your LSA/MSA didn't get approved you now have a gripe? I know you claim to be ex Navy and very well connected to the security establishment, but others here are not novices either. While I do not like to disclose my background or connects on a public forum, let me assure you of one thing- Doval is the reason Kashmiri seperatists are scared, he is the reason militancy's back is being broken. He doesn't involve himself in defence procurement, unless its directly related to ARC or Intelligence ops. Of course his views are solicited, but its not like he has veto powers.

as re Parrikar, his move back to goa was because e was unable to handle MoD bureaucracy. He was a good technocrat, but a failure as a DM.

The biggest failure in this Govt however is Jaitley and till he is removed, India will always be a laggard.

12. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    You must note, that it has neither been rejected nor approved and i might get a chance to present it to top most people including Doval himself. However my post was w.r.t the way Defense procurement decisions are being taken. Now it is totally become a slave of our foreign policy. Under the present set up, India has given up its option of saying a firm "NO" to Russia and others.

13. ghostwhowalks

ghostwhowalks FULL MEMBER

Sir, I sincerely hope that your LSA/MSA sees light of day and flies in IAF/IN colours one day. Nothing could be better for any patriotic Indian. As regards your investment avenues, I hope you have done your due diligence thoroughly and not put commercial gain over national security. Going by your claims of your background and your family, Im sure you would have national security paramount in your planning.

AS regards saying NO to Russia, do you really think that's a better option than to have them by your side so they don't tango with the pakistani.. even today most of your hardware is of Soviet/Russian origin including your main frontline aircraft (both IAF and IN). So whilst GOI may not agree with everything Russia says or does, it is wiser to remain deeply engaged with Russia till we have some meaningful self reliance.

It is thanks to Russia that India today has a credible space programme (read- cryogenic engine tech), experience of operating and building a nuclear sub, a world class ship building industry, not to mention our civil and mil nuclear tech. Even today Russia is a far better and reliable partner to have than the Yanks. The GOI is just not leveraging the historical ties well enough IMHO. the one mistake we seem to be making is to deal with Russia like we did with Soviet Union, and we haven't figured out Valdimir Putin correctly to date. The day India does that, things will change overnight.

Notsuperstitious likes this.
  14. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    i will respond to it.Give me some time. I am busy sorting out main gear problem of MSA. Let me get over with it.

15. X_Killer

X_Killer Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    JNU Reaction on the appointment of NS as DM.
    Point to be noted, As India's first full-time Defence Minister, this JNU alumni is now part of the strategic Cabinet Council on Security.