Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

NO JPC but Ready to appear before PAC in 2G scam: Manmohan

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by Osiris, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osiris

Osiris Major SENIOR MEMBER

Addressing the Congress Party's 83rd plenary, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said that he is ready to appear in front of Public Accounts Committee (PAC) in connection with the 2G spectrum scam.

PAC is don't have an investigating role,and PM is aware of that...if have guts to face investigation then there should be JPC enquiry

2. Osiris

I am ready to appear before PAC: PM

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday said he was ready to appear before the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) and added that there was no need for a joint parliamentary committee (JPC) to probe the 2G allocation scam. "I sincerely believe that like Caesar's wife, the prime minister should be above suspicion. And for this reason, I am prepared to appear before the Public Accounts Committee even though there is no precedent to that effect," he said in his speech at the Congress' 83rd plenary.

Almost no work had been transacted in parliament's winter session after opposition refused to allow its functioning, insisting on a JPC probe into the 2G scam.

"We wanted to discuss all these issues (of corruption) in parliament, but one entire session got wasted due to opposition's obduracy," he said

Manmohan Singh said the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) was "falsely" giving the impression that the government was shying away from JPC because it had the powers to summon the prime minister, "thereby implying that I have something to hide".

"I wish to state categorically that I have nothing to hide from the public as large. As proof of bonafide, I intend writing to the chairman of the Public Accounts Committee that I will be happy to appear before PAC...," he said.

I am ready to appear before PAC: PM - Hindustan Times

3. Osiris

^^^^ if nothing to hide,THEN why he fears JPC? this shows PM has some thing to hide

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  4. Osiris

'Defensive' PM is hiding something: BJP

Just hours after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh made an unprecedented offer of appearing before the Parliament's Public Accounts Committee (PAC)in connection with the 2G scam, the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) attacked a ‘defensive’ PM and said that he was definitely hiding something from the people of the country.

The BJP also added that the PM cannot answer in front of auditors that too which is his own forum, instead should answer in the Parliament or through a Joint-Parliamentary Committee (JPC).

Refusing to back down from their demand for a JPC into the 2G spectrum allocation scam, senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley said, “In a defensive session of the Congress we saw a defensive PM. It is a matter of concern for the nation that a PM should be pushed to a position where he has to say that I has nothing to hide.”

“PM is hiding something. He is hiding the fact that 2G spectrum scam took place in 2007. For the last three years opposition has been crying that huge sums of money has been lost and benefited private parties. Why he kept quiet for all these 3 years. He has been saying that the minister concerned told him that it was a past practice, which is where the whole cover-up took place. The PM has to answer this not before his auditors, but before the Parliament,” added Jaitley.

Earlier today, the PM said that he was prepared to appear before the PAC even though there is no precedent to that effect. Noting that the PAC is headed by senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi, he said it has "all the powers which can be given to a JPC and the PAC is the acknowledged watchdog of any financial impropriety or misconduct".

In response to this, the BJP stated that the PM is quibbling about the difference between a JPC and a PAC. Jaitley said, "The PAC has a narrow jurisdiction and does not address other issues surrounding the scam. The PM has to answer before the Parliament and not his own forum in the form of a PAC."

Rejecting the opposition demand for a JPC probe which led to a washout of the entire Winter session of Parliament, Singh had earlier said "government is of the considered view that in the background of the multi-faceted action now in place, no purpose will be served by a JPC, except to delay the inquiry and politicise the matter".

"I wish to state categorically that I have nothing to hide from the public at large and as a proof of my bonafides I intend to write to the Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee that I shall be happy to appear before the PAC, if it chooses to ask me to do so," Singh said in his 30-minute address amid applause from over 15,000 delegates.

In his first major response to the 2G spectrum ontroversy and Parliament paralysis, the Prime Minister attacked the BJP, saying it has been "falsely propagating" that the UPA government is against the JPC because "we do not want the Prime Minister to be questioned by a Parliamentary committee, thereby implying that I have so meting to hide".

Promising that nobody found guilty in 2G allocation as well as CWG irregularities would be spared, he said the government was conducting a thorough probe in all aspects of the organisation of Commonwealth Games and the 2G spectrum allocation. "These inquiries will be pursued vigorously and it is my promise to you that no guilty person will be spared - whether he is a political leader or a government official, whichever party he may belong to and howsoever powerful he may be," he said.

"We wanted to discuss all these issues in Parliament but one entire session got wasted because of opposition's obduracy. It is difficult to comprehend that only a JPC should probe the 2G spectrum matter," he said.

'Defensive' PM is hiding something: BJP- TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos

5. Coltsfan

Coltsfan <b>SENIOR MEMBER</b> SENIOR MEMBER

Forget Ram Temple friends, BJP/RSS combo has hitched its wagon to the 2G scam this time.

No wonder the cyber cadres are so active in bringing up this issue :)

6. Osiris

:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

7. Osiris

BJP, Left attack Manmohan for rejecting JPC on 2G scam

Bharatiya Janata Party and the Left parties on Monday criticised Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for rejecting a JPC probe into the 2G scam, saying only a Joint Parliamentary Committee can go into the “depth” of the multi-crore scandal.

Commenting on Dr. Singh’s offer to appear before the Public Accounts Committee, which is currently looking into the issue, BJP spokesperson Prakash Javdekar said, “JPC is not an unconstitutional demand by the opposition. The PM’s willingness to appear before the PAC will only serve a very limited mandate.

“When he is ready to come and answer any question before the PAC, why not JPC? JPC is not something unconstitutional. It is a parliamentary practice and a provision,” he said.

Mr. Javdekar alleged that the Prime Minister is making a distinction between the PAC and the JPC because he “knows very well that the mandate of the PAC will be limited.

“The Prime Minister definitely is guilty of not supervising and not checking corruption when they were happening,” he said.

Meanwhile, Communist Party of India national secretary D. Raja questioned the Congress party and the Prime Minister for making JPC as “such a contentious issue.”

Noting that the JPC is a mechanism, which consists of members from both the Opposition and ruling parties, Mr. Raja said, “JPC would be better mechanism to go into the depth of the 2G Spectrum scam”.

Alleging that the government “abused” all the telecom policies in order to favour a few companies, Mr. Raja said the JPC can suggest what should be the amendment to the existing policies so that such scams never occur.

Dr. Singh, addressing the Congress plenary, said he would be “happy” to appear before the PAC in the 2G spectrum issue as he has nothing to hide.

He also accused the Opposition of “obduracy” over the demand for the JPC probe into the issue, saying it would serve no purpose.

The Hindu : News / National : BJP, Left attack Manmohan for rejecting JPC on 2G scam

8. Osiris

Just asking legitimate questions, says BJP on barbs against PM

Criticised by Congress for its attacks on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, BJP today hit back saying it had the right to raise "legitimate" questions to him on why "he did not stop" a minister from defying his mandate and swindling public money.

Rebutting the charge that the opposition party was using "intemperate language" against the prime minister which showed its "arrogance", BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said the Congress was using the "language of irritation".

"Infact, the copybook case of arrogance is the comment of home minister P Chidambaram that NDA will not come back to power for the next ten years. This inspite of the severe drubbing the Congress has received in the recent elections in Bihar," Prasad told PTI.

He alleged that "an increasingly desperate Congress is talking the language of irritation.

"It is the right of opposition in a democracy to ask questions about the omissions and commissions of the government," BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said reacting to comments of telecom minister Kapil Sibal yesterday that the opposition attack on the prime minister for not agreeing to a joint parliamentary committee (JPC) in the second-generation mobile telephony spectrum issue showed its arrogance.

He said that "on November 2, 2007, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had written to A Raja, the then telecom minister to ensure fairness and transparency in the allocation of mobile licensing."

Raja replied to this letter saying he has to take "pre-emptive and pro-active decisions" to avoid any further confusions, Prasad claimed. The prime minister had written back to Raja on January 3, 2008 that he had received his letter, the BJP leader said.

"The opposition is entitled to ask the prime minister that when Raja was defying his mandate, why did he not act and stop him from taking any further decisions. Why did the prime minister permit the swindling of public money by the minister?" Prasad said.

He maintained that these were "legitimate questions" being raised by the opposition and "there is nothing arrogant about it".

The senior BJP leader added that Congress should prepare itself for the inevitable - "people's disillusionment with it".

Addressing the Congress plenary over the weeked, party president Sonia Gandhi had termed as "downright despicable" the opposition BJP"s attack on Prime Minister Singh.

"He (Singh) is the embodiment of sobriety, dignity and integrity. The BJP's personal attack on him is downright despicable," she had said.

Just asking legitimate questions, says BJP on barbs against PM - India - DNA

9. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

Because a JPC is usually not just a gentlemanly gathering of people. Far too often it is a way to insult and humiliate the guy in fornt of it (unlike the coirts where the judge moderates the discussions). The PM is cooked chicken if he lands up before a JPC because there's no way the opposition won't abuse and insult him...no matter what the merits of his case are. Why do you think the congress is avoiding it so hard? They don't want a guy the rank of PM go through this,

10. Osiris

PAC constitutes of members of parliament .if he is ready to go before PAC why fears JPC?
    there will be a code of conduct for JPC and only jpc can bring the truth of this scam...
    and roles of maha raja's and maha rani's above raja who still have immunity

11. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

Actually the PAC is much more ordered because it is not an ad hoc body. The JPC is usually constituted with man eating tigers. And mr. singh with his snowy white hair...well...

1 person likes this.
  12. Osiris

so mr singh fears JPC..but i think JPC will help to find out jackals in white hair's cloth

13. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Full form of JPC is Joint Parliamentary Committee.

@Topic: 2G scam is the biggest scam in India after CWG. I dont know why PM is not in favour of JPC.

14. RoYaN

RoYaN Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Both are Parliamentary committees both have the mandate to question ministers and both have a healthy mix of opposition and govt. members in them then why ask for a JPC when Dr.Murli Manohar joshi heads the PAC and has members like former Finance minister Yashwant sinnah.........

15. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Why to fear when he is clean? Committee may consist of man eating Aliens. Whats the difference??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.