Nordic Defense News, Pictures, Videos And History

Discussion in 'U.S. & Europe' started by Technofox, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Fenrir

Fenrir FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Norway
    @randomradio I don't want to draw this out too much, though I did want to address it outside of PDF since that discussion was taking a negative turn with people trolling, but NASAMS would absolutely not classify as a QRSAM like SPYDER.

SPYDER is an integrated firing/sensor platform featuring optical and IIR tracking capabilities for Python to supplement the active-homing of Derby.
    [​IMG]

NASAMS, even the high-mobility launcher I was using to compare ranges and function - each is organized very similarly - to AKASH isn't a self-contained unit and doesn't feature IIR, optical or radar guidance, just communications.
    [​IMG]

The High Mobility Launcher was designed as a quick-deployable, low-weight alternative to the heavier, larger canister launchers which require a heavy truck to move and deploy and are static once set up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Multiple HML vehicles can be rapidly deployed via C-130 where as the canister launchers can not because they then need to be loaded onto trucks for transport. The HML is roll-on, roll-off and in ready fire mode once linked into the larger NASAMS battery featuring IIR, electro-optical and radar sensors. Sensors can be coopted from other assets, such as long-range radars like Sindre II or IIR on P-3Cs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

NASAMS is considered a medium-to-long ranges strategic missile defense system for wide-area coverage, such as the battery above protecting Warsaw during the NATO Summit. It is not a QRSAM in the same respect as SPYDER. It should be considered Norway's alternative to PATRIOT as it serves a similar function.
    [​IMG]

In short: not a QRSAM and I suspect Indian Military nomenclature would recognize it the same.

2. Fenrir

Fenrir FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Norway
    R!CK likes this.
  3. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

All three military branches have their own definitions for SAMs. For example, the Barak-8 with a 90-100Km range is a MRSAM for the IAF and LRSAM for the IN.

The different variants of the NASAMS would be designated differently. For example, DRDO is developing a VL Astra, based on the BVR missile. The BVR version has similar range performance as the Aim-120C. They have designated that as a QRSAM. But the ESSM variant of the NASAMS would be called a MRSAM in the IAF and LRSAM in the IN.

To be designated as a QRSAM, you need to demonstrate a low reaction time and LOBL, that's about it. The extra range and altitude is a bonus. The variants of NASAMS that can achieve this will be called QRSAMs.

Btw, the Akash missile was designed back in the 80s which explains its size and weight.

4. Fenrir

Fenrir FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Norway
    One of my favorite things about the Norwegian Armed Forces is how much they coopt civilian infrastructure. I mean, how often do you see armored vehicles at your local corner store refueling and picking up a donut and coffee?
    [​IMG]

We've got heavy armor on our roads.
    [​IMG]

The Home Guard patrolling our neighborhoods.
    [​IMG]

All fun and games for foreign forces too, like these Danish soldiers.
    [​IMG]

Some militaries train for urban combat in mock cities. Not us. We even invite our friends in the USMC to bring the ruckus for a few weeks.
    [​IMG]

Personally I love being able to look out my window and wave to some friendly tankers as the plow through my flowerbeds:partay:.
    [​IMG]

5. Fenrir

Fenrir FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Norway
    This is pretty cool. HNoMS S305 Uredd test fired the IDAS submarine launched anti-aircraft missile (SLAM) last year, joining Germany as the two nations to do so. No word on potential deployments, and I don't expect any public announcements.

https://navaltoday.com/2016/06/02/hnoms-uredd-first-norwegian-submarine-to-fire-idas-missile/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures of KMN Uredd are really sparse:undecided:.

Norway uses an air-launched version of IDAS too, the IRIS-T which is designated AIM-2000 in Norwegian service.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017