Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Now, Church politics in Gujarat: Gandhinagar Archbishop Thomas Macwan urges Christians to save India

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by Butter Chicken, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butter Chicken

Butter Chicken Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]Archdiocese of Gandhinagar Archbishop Thomas Macwan. (IE)

Gujarat Elections 2017: In a signed letter Archdiocese of Gandhinagar Archbishop Thomas Macwan has urged Christians to pray for the election of humane leaders to save India from nationalist forces. The letter on behalf of al Bishops of Churches in the state have urged Christians to organise prayer services so that people who are faithful to the Indian Constitution could be elected. “The Bishops of Gujarat state request you to organise prayer services in your parishes and convents so that people, who would remain faithful to our Indian Constitution and respect every human being without any discrimination, are elected in the Gujarat state Assembly,” said the letter signed by Macwan on November 21.

The official communique termed Gujarat elections as “significant” for the future of India. Without mentioning the name of any political party, the letter, however, urged Christians to pray for the defeat of nationalist forces.

“The dates of the Gujarat state Assembly (polls) have been declared.The results of this election are significant and it will have its repercussion and reverberation throughout our beloved nation. It will influence the course of our country. We are aware that the secular and democratic fabric of our country is at stake. Human Rights are being violated. The constitutional rights are being trampled. Not a single day goes without an attack on our churches, faithful or institutions. There is a growing sense of insecurity among the minorities, OBCs, BCs, poor and so on. Nationalist forces are on the verge of taking over the country. The election results of Gujarat State Assembly can make a difference.”

Here is the Letter:
    [​IMG]

Citing examples from history prayers to Mother Mary had helped in the defeat of tyrannical forces, the letter said, “The recitation of the Holy Rosary at individual, community, family and parish-levels will be of great help. It saved Europe from being taken over by the people of other faith. Communist governments and dictators in a number of countries have been tumbled in the past through the protecting hand of our beloved Mother Mary. It has brought the level of abortion incidents in Poland from 30% to 4%. It will save our country from nationalist forces too. Even the Lord, while he was praying in the garden of Gethsemane (where Jesus Christ prayed the night before his crucifixion), had asked his disciple to watch and pray. Let us take his advice seriously. Let us trust our Lord Jesus and ask for His help.”

http://www.financialexpress.com/ele...archbishop-thomas-macwan-bjp-congress/944927/

sangos likes this.
  2. Pundrick

Pundrick Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Though the priest does not mention BJP or INC anywhere, but I think he is pointing towards BJP, may be some MLA would have stopped them from converting others. But the Christians community in Charotar(Anand-Kheda belt) area is mostly divided between BJP/INC. I have example of my friend who happens to be Christian, he and his brother are both BJP supporter while their parents are INC supporters.

Their family is good example of democracy.:agree::agree: Though I can't guarantee about others.

Few points about Gujju Christian :
    1). They are educated class. So majority won't cast vote based on religion alone.
    2). They have very strong and annoying missionary force, mostly poor ones exploited by NGOs by giving them some money, who every now and then comes to visit your home with 3-4 books having oil painted cover with Jesus on it. And they slowly try to convince you to believe in God, which BTW happens to be Jesus.:agree::agree: So we(whole society) have now adopted passive resistance way of dealing with them, we don't open our doors and remain silent inside as if there is no one in there.:dance3::dance3:

Wolfpack likes this.
  3. whitebeard

whitebeard FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    This could also unite d hindus :dirol:

Wolfpack likes this.
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    It will be used as a issue and to Unite Hindus,so far Congress has not tried to appease Muslims as it will create counter Polarization in Gujarat,with a strong Hindutva support. This issue will polarize votes.

whitebeard likes this.
  5. Som Thomas

Som Thomas 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    As a Christian I can give a clear picture. In Christian faith priest cannot involve in politics as is the order from church and cannot hold any government or political position. If the church finds out the priest/bishop indulges in politics the priest will be removed.

Secondly in my family and my cousins all the parents are hard core supporters of INC. I believe it’s due to Indira ghandhi. All the kids are hard core Left/BJP follower. Although I don’t completely agree with all the BJP nutcases. I believe BJP is the only party at present to guide India into the future and if the INC had another term they would have run the country on to the ground.

6. sangos

sangos Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Not quite true for all denominations. Ex. In Nagaland the church(protestant) is fully involved in politics.

Wolfpack and whitebeard like this.
  7. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Look my friend, you guys are no better than salafi muslims. Don't we all know what is the meaning of this so called advice and for it has been made? It was this kind of interference by Vatican in the affairs of Britain which brought about the divide and created Protestants. This guy is trying to influence the voter base in tribal areas which have overwhelmingly voted for BJP and those are the areas in which RSS is far stronger than church in preventing the conversion of tribels.

whitebeard likes this.
  8. Dagger

Dagger 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    @som_thomas is no evangelical orthodox as far as i have read him. So i dont think is fair saying ""you guys". Any organized religion which reports to mullah, baba or father which is big enough is going to be political. Only way is to reduce the organisational nature. Sermons are a powerful tool on the hands of an orator. These sermons of any religion should be regulated to be completely religious and to bring social upliftment. Otherwise Power corrupts always.

9. Som Thomas

Country Flag:
    India
    I don’t know state based politics. When you say Muslim. We don’t kill anybody based on religion and neither does Christianity propagate through end of the sword. You can choose to a Christian on your on free will and you can leave on your free will. Every religion has the right to protect itself using the law of the land.

I am from Kerala and from a Marthoma church and I can assure you what I said in the above post. Each church denomination works independently.

All I can say is based on Darwin’s theory of natural selection. If you can’t compete you perish.

10. Som Thomas

Country Flag:
    India
    Maybe true. Politics its everywhere(As quoted by Rahul ghandhi. Lol). In that case you must understand majority of the Indian Army men in rhino regiment are also Christians and are still loyal to the constitution of India. It goes both ways. Every religion plays politics. All I am saying is. Majority of the church abstain from politics.

11. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    Among all the religions, I find Christianity most acceptable to India. I am for this religion even though I am a hard core Hindu. But I have issues with any religion when their religious leaders make such appeals. Sanatan Dharma is led by four sankaracharyas, they hold far greater sway over Sanatan Dharamis than these idiots from RSS or VHP or Bajrang Dal. Have they ever made any such appeal to Indians? Why must Christians and muslims do it?

Dagger likes this.
  12. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    I have personally known cases and some also reported by media about some other cases, these conversion hawks, made people break idols of Hindu Gods and urinate on them. well is this your religion? Is this what you want the followers of your religion to be? Christ forgave his killers. How can his followers be so nasty? Do such people qualify to be Christians in the first place?

Wolfpack and whitebeard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.