Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Over 5,000 Rohingya Muslims settled in Jammu: Sayeed

Discussion in 'Internal Affairs' started by Levina, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Levina

Levina Guest

• SRINAGAR: Over 5,000 Rohingya refugees are living in in many settlement colonies in Jammu and Kashmir's winter capital Jammu after fleeing persecution in Myanmar, Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said on Friday.

"There are about 1,219 Rohingya (Burmese) families comprising 5,107 members who are staying in Jammu," he said.

Often described as "world's most persecuted minority", Rohingyas are unable to re-obtain citizenship of Myanmar after being stripped of their citizenship in 1982 in the Southeast Asian country.
    Nearly all of the refugees live in the Jammu district alone, most of them in Narwal area of the city.

"Out of the total Rohingya refugees living in Jammu province, 4,912 members are having United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) cards and 186 members are without the cards," said Sayeed, who also holds the home department portfolio.

The state government, however, denied having any report regarding radicalization of these Rohingyas.

"However, their children are reportedly being provided education in six Madrasas (Islamic seminaries) in many city areas," it said.

There are estimates of about 36,000 Rohingyas living in India after facing exodus from Myanmar.

Few questions that came to my mind after I read the article were>>>

1) Why Jammu?
    2) Ostensibly, Rohingyas are from Bengal/Bangladesh so why did they not move to WB or BD?
    3) why are the children being sent to Madrassas and why not schools?

Ps: I do not have any issues with Rohingyas staying in India since they have been issued refugee cards.

@Vyom @Darth Marr @Blackjay @BlackOpsIndia @Mercury @vstol jockey @Robinhood Pandey

SrNair, BlackOpsIndia and A_poster like this.
  2. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Rohingyas are being looked after in west Bengal, Kerala and J&K due to large muslim population.

Levina likes this.
  3. A_poster

A_poster Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    WTF!!!!

Why Jammu? Why not Islamist heaven of Kashmir?

SrNair, Levina and Darth Marr like this.
  4. Darth Marr

Darth Marr Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Sorry if i sound like a hater, but i have issues with more Refugees from a particular community taking refuge in Kashmir...

Its obvious, isn't it.... Who will ask for independence if not the ROP.

whitebeard, SrNair, Tejasmk3 and 3 others like this.
  5. Levina

Levina Guest

FYI guyz: Rohingyas began settling in Jammu since 2008. Yes this will change the demographics of J&K.

6. Darth Marr

Darth Marr Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Wonderful news, wait for another 10 years before these retards start asking for Azadi...

7. A_poster

A_poster Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

I have issue with providing refuge to any Muslim ,anywhere in India. Majority of foreign origin Muslims in India came as refugees of Mongol wars. But still ,if given a choice, why Hindu majority Jammu where population is Hindu ,but not Hindu enough that it could not be turned Muslim by a refugee (invader without guns) deluge.

8. Levina

Levina Guest

This news came to my notice when one of my KP friend posted this on FB. I understood what she was alluding to.

9. Butter Chicken

Butter Chicken Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    So,Hindus from all over India not allowed,but foreign muslims are welcome?

whitebeard, SrNair, Tejasmk3 and 8 others like this.
  10. BlackOpsIndia

BlackOpsIndia Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Rohingyas have nowhere to go, Myanmar is crossing every limit in torture so from humanitarian point of view its good that some of them get refuge in India but we often see refugee status to be abused and political parties later making them permanent vote bank, this must be stopped. There must be clear date of deportation, 3year, 5 years, 7 years till that time Myanmar will calm down, if not find any other place.

Second problem is as butter chicken said above, when Indians cant stay in Jammu Kashmir how come people from other country are allowed? Must be relocated to some other part of country.

Third is again to protect them from being another jihadi, they are most probable recruits of jihadis and sending them to religious seminaries will increase this danger many folds. Its a worrisome development, they must be kept in camps near border of Myanmar or Bangladesh, not in most volatile place of India.

SrNair and Levina like this.
  11. Butter Chicken

Butter Chicken Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    They can go to Bangladesh,Indonesia or thekedar of Islam Pakistan,we should be concerned only with Hindus,Sikhs,Buddhists of Pakistan and BD

SrNair, Tejasmk3 and Levina like this.
  12. BlackOpsIndia

BlackOpsIndia Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I would disagree with you here.

Blackjay likes this.
  13. Nilgiri

Nilgiri Lieutenant IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    Less I say on this matter, the better...:facepalm:

SrNair and Levina like this.
  14. Vyom

Vyom Captain IDF NewBie

the refugees from West Pakistan didn't get any benefits, who should actually get citizenship but Rohingyas did. Institutionalized Bigotry.

Nilgiri and Levina like this.
  15. Levina

Levina Guest

I guess @Butter Chicken meant that refugees other than Muslims are not sheltered in our neighbouring countries, ergo Hindus have only one hope- India.

India being a secular country attracts refugees of every religion.