Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

P-15A Kolkata-class DDG : News & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by prototype, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Then consider the Type-23 frigates. The point is not whether Type-45 carries Harpoon or not, it's about the fact that the same basic
    system can be used on a wide variety of applications. I've even explained how the heart of a radar is the software, algorithms and
    transceiver/antenna technology...the size of the array can greatly vary according to the desired application...even showing a similar
    setup for the US AN/SPY-1 radar as an example but you seem to be ignoring it all for some reason.

The RN has not voiced any official intent to aquire LRASM...the only new anti-ship cruise missile that UK is working on currently
    remains the Perseus, by 2030. Obviously the Harpoon would be useless as shyt by that time (it already is against any well-equipped
    military) and a replacement missile would indeed be needed as soon as 2020. We'll see if they aquire the LRASM finally...but as before,
    you are dilly-dallying about everything except the point at hand - which, I believe is already explained in detail and now remains
    exempt from any doubt...?

Or do you need me to repeat myself again & again because you may have a problem with acknowledging the writing on the wall?

GSLV Mk III likes this.
  2. HMS Astute

HMS Astute BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    Falkland Islands (malvinas)
    Different navies have different structures and requirements. RN's ships are designed to do the jobs that UK intends to carry out within NATO's military command.There've been many reports that Harpoon will be completely withdrawn from the service as early as 2018. We will get a clear picture of what's going to happen to the entire armed forces for the next five years when the SDSR 2015 comes out. 2x 77,800 tons carriers will definitely be in service with the RN for sure, then we know that 6x Type 45 and 7x Astute SSNs will be commissioned. 13x GCS are expected to be built but God only knows the details about how many GCS, F-35, Challenger II, Typhoon, C-17, Taranis UCAVs will be in service. Army is expected to spend $6bn on new fighting vehicles, and military budget for 2015 is $63bn, and Army is now recruiting more troops as far as we know.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  3. kaku

kaku Major Technical Analyst

Then why you comparing. But one thing, if Royal Navy had chosen the Diego Garcia for its QE instead Bahrain, then India would be more happy.

4. AKIIN

AKIIN 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]
    is this kolkata sister ship INS Kochi

5. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Yes it is.

6. AKIIN

AKIIN 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    looking nice ...... waiting for induction in IN...

7. brahmos_ii

brahmos_ii Major SENIOR MEMBER

Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar is scheduled to commission the ship ‘INS Chennai’, an indigenously designed and constructed Kolkata-class guided missile destroyer, into the Indian Navy. INS Chennai is among the largest destroyers constructed in India and has been built by Mazagaon Dock Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai. Following the commissioning, INS Chennai will be placed under the operational and administrative control of the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Naval Command. On completion of some additional sea trials of ship-borne systems, the ship will be assigned to the Western Fleet and would be based in Mumbai. The ship is among the largest destroyers constructed in India, with a length overall of 164 meters and displacement of over 7,500 tons. The ship is a potent platform capable of undertaking a variety of tasks and missions, spanning the full spectrum of maritime warfare. Armed with supersonic Surface-to-Surface ‘BrahMos’ missiles, and ‘Barak-8’ Long Range Surface to Air missiles, the ship possesses formidable prowess of missile technology. The undersea warfare capable boasts of indigenously developed anti-submarine weapons and sensors, prominently the Hull Mounted Sonar ‘HUMSA-NG’, Heavyweight Torpedo Tube Launchers, Rocket Launchers and Towed Arrau sonar capability. For defence against enemy missiles, the ship is fitted with ‘Kavach’ chaff decoy system and for defence against enemy torpedoes, it is fitted with ‘Mareech’ torpedo decoy system, both developed indigenously in India. The ship is designed to carry and operate up to two multi-role helicopters. INS Kolkata the first ship of the class was commissioned on 16 August 2014 and INS Kochi the second ship of the class was commissioned last year on 30 September 2015.

[​IMG]

PARIKRAMA, dadeechi, SrNair and 4 others like this.
  8. brahmos_ii

brahmos_ii Major SENIOR MEMBER

Defence Minister, Manohar Parrikar will on Monday, commission the India Naval Ship (INS) `Chennai` into the navy, marking the completion of Project 15A – indigenously designed and constructed Kolkata-class guided missile destroyers by Mazagaon Dock Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai.

idrw.org . Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website , Kindly don't paste our work in other websites http://idrw.org/indigenously-constructed-ins-chennai-commissioned-monday/ .

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  9. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    @Gessler @PARIKRAMA @vstol jockey @randomradio @MilSpec @Nilgiri @dadeechi @Hellfire @nair @SpArK @R!CK @Vergennes @Sathya @Bregs @jha @Echo_419 @Robinhood Pandey @Ankit Kumar 001 with the last P-15A now inducted and P-15Bs less than two years away, any thoughts/updates on Project-18 class? Looking at the P-15A-B gap (two years) the first Project-18 should be commisioned by 2023/4 with construction commencing in 2018/19. What sort of tech upgrades (please no one mention Kali/lasers or rail guns) over the P-15/A/B class can we expect on the P-18? Considering there will be no P-15C class one can expect a substantial depature over the 20+ year old hull spec. She will likely be 8-9,000 tons fully loaded.

At the very least she should have 24+ Brahmos, 70+ Barak-8/ER cells and a BRAND NEW VSR (sorry, LW-08 is on its last legs). That would easily make her the most powerful class in Asia and amongst the top 2/3 in the world.

And for numbers, at least 8-10 should be ordered for a first batch and the P-17A model should be replicated so multiple shipyards should be contracted to ensure seemless rapid deliveries.

Bregs, PARIKRAMA, R!CK and 1 other person like this.
  10. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Lol @Gessler the idiot was totally delusional

[​IMG]

11. Nilgiri

Nilgiri Lieutenant GEO STRATEGIC ANALYST

Country Flag:
    India
    I'd be hoping to see a top of the line ASW helicopter (maybe even VLO) and potentially ASW surface drones (since IN is wisely going for plenty of real estate volume wise) which would be in the hangar when stowed and quick released sideways when needed. Think 21st century sonobuoys....but able to maneuver and give high fidelity on underwater target acquisition due to onboard multi source processing to augment/enhance what the mothership has onboard/towed. They could also serve as efficient mine-clearing depending on the sensor package and processing capability. This tech would have to be probably be tested on an existing ship first to optimise and improve as needed for later warships.

Also whatever is the best tech out there regarding aerial drones for a variety of relevant purposes.

Other than that....I guess keep improving stealthiness of the ship (flush clean lines everywhere as much as possible) and keep up to date with the latest sensor and fire control systems.

The only other game changer I can think of is ship-bourne missile defense beyond that of barak-8 (like say theatre BMD a la SM-3/Aegis) but that would need a serious specific weapons development effort to start very soon.

Bregs, PARIKRAMA, Sathya and 3 others like this.
  12. R!CK

R!CK 2nd Lieutant Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    As I already stated bro, the next class of destroyers will have BMD capability and significant land attack component. The BMD capability will be a JV with a foreign country. This should necessarily hike the displacement of the vessels significantly to between 9-10K tons.

Good Day!

13. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Any ideas who are the contenders? France I would assume are a primary contender.

If this is true, the BMD has to be developed rapidly as the P-18s are required within 7-8 years from now.

+ will it be based on PAD/AAD?

Bregs, PARIKRAMA, R!CK and 1 other person like this.
  14. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    All of the above will naturally come across the fleet, they are natural evolutions of existing tech mostly being off the shelf solutions and will form part of the standard complement for any major IN vessel.

+ I forget to add, the P-18s should have Nirbhay CM VLS.

Brahmos+Barak-8+Maitri+Nirbhay+BMD VLSs is going to require a considerable expansion in displacement (although it has to be said there is plenty of untouched real estate on the P-15A/B classes).

15. R!CK

R!CK 2nd Lieutant Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    I'd expect it to be either Israel or Russian, although its too early to make assumptions. A review is expected by 2018-20 timeline. Decision regarding whether to launch a new class or add a P15C class will be made by then. It's all subject to the feasibility of BMD concept by then.

Nirbhay LACM will find its way on P-15 A/B before any other ship unless the development experiences further delays. The ships have been designed with intended space left out for Nirbhay, although I think P-15A will have a lower load out compared to P-15B, I'm not very sure about it. Currently, Nirbhay is getting the most attention and I think we can expect Good news real soon.

Good Day!