Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

P-15A Kolkata-class DDG : News & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by prototype, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Aqwoyk

Aqwoyk Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    The whole system is procured from Israel.

R!CK likes this.
  2. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Well I hope you are right bro!

Highly doubtful (would love to see it though) as they would then require extensive redesign/testing/certification to house the MF-STAR.

Already the BARAK-8 has had its range extended to 90km (from an expected 70km) so with the BARAK-8ER projected to have a range of 150km, it is not inconceivable that a similar feat will be accomplished with the ER and its range extended by a simlilar factor, which would make its range >190km.

As for the BARAK-8/ER's capabilites- they are truly exceptional and understand the "slow" speed it intentional so as to make it pretty much the most agile SAM in its class. Besides, for the role the BARAK-8 plays, the speed is not an issue as it will be dealing with head on interceptions, not chasing down a/c/missiles, meaning the closing speed is what is important (which is calculated by totaling the speed of the missile and its target). Furthermore, the BARAK-8 has a secondary motor that kicks in once it closes in on its target that accelerates it to mach 4.

With its own seeker, high agility, LOAL capability and cued with the exceptional MF-STAR the BARAK-8 is a truly deadly weapon, perhaps the most deadly in its class, and its chances of successful interception are increidbly high.

Well the P-17A FFGs will have the BARAK-8.

I would whole-heartedly go for this were I in charge but I seriously doubt this wil come to be, at most the SLEP will feature the VLS Shtil. Then again, the BARAK-1 and its FCR were fitted to the class so maybe the B8/MF-STAR is on the cards (obviously a FAR more intrusive and extensive upgrade than retro-fitting the B1)? This would MASSIVELY increase the IN's capabilities and keep the class relevent for another 2 decades, as you have rightly pointed out, a limited upgrade with Russian systems only would leave the class very much as an outlier with limited commonality with the future large surface fleet that will all have MF-STAR and B8.

The limited upgrade of VLS Shtil would condemn the Delhi class to act as a second tier to the P-15As, Bs and even the P-17As which would be absurd for such vast and capable ships.

Related to this, I do really hope that come 2022- the IN starts to get the P-17s as close as possible to the P-17A standard (with the full sensors and weapons upgrade).

Actuallym as per the IN they are localising the EL/M-2048 MF-STAR.

SR-91, R!CK, Aqwoyk and 1 other person like this.
  3. Aqwoyk

Aqwoyk Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Can its second rocket motor be fired instantly if it is supposed to chase a fighter aircraft?

4. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Well that would be a technical detail I am not privy to but one would expect there are multiple flight profiles and system modes that the missile can be employed in, it would simply be a matter of creating the relevent algorithm.

However, like I said, the BARAK-8 is primarily designed to employed in a head-on engagment and thus with the correct tactics and utilisation the BARAK-8 would never need to engage in a chase

R!CK and GuardianRED like this.
  5. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    First, we do know that the these ship will be moving as a BG never alone, Second consider the Shtil as an additional layer.
    That is nice on paper BUT won't it require a huge structural change to the Main mast just to retro fit the MFStar!!??... that will leave a front line ship out of commission for a long time!

6. Gessler

Gessler Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    The MF-STAR (and even the I-Mast) are highly modular structures. It's very much possible to install a Kolkata-like mast on the Delhi-class.

Yes, it will definitely take longer to refit the whole thing that just changing the SAM suite. But as I said, the MFSTAR+Barak-8 setup will be FAR more deadly and beneficial in the long term.

IN has to make that trade-off somewhere.

7. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
  8. GSLV Mk III

GSLV Mk III Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
  9. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]

10. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
  11. SR-91

SR-91 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I dnt understand the concept of Indian Navy going for odd number of just 3. Should have gone to make 4 ships of the same class, use 2 for each division, Eastern and Western, this way you can have perfect rotation of ships and even the crew. Crew should be fresh and energized

12. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
    INS Kolkata with the T45 destroyer HMS Defender, at the International Fleet Review last year off the coast of Visakhapatnam -

[​IMG]

13. SR-91

SR-91 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

I know it's off topic but do u have any new pictures or progress of INS VIKRANT. I tried google earth, it still shows a year old pic.
    Thx

14. GSLV Mk III

GSLV Mk III Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
  15. randomradio

randomradio Colonel Technical Analyst

No clue. :confused:

GSLV Mk III likes this.