P-8I Neptune : News & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by CONNAN, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Gessler

Gessler Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    [MENTION=6078]Vritra[/MENTION]
    The purpose of magnetic anomaly sensor is not for surveillance. This sensor is a very short range one. It is used to "relocate" a pist just before an attack.

The problem is that acoustic sensor are passive and active and the passive one are not very precise. So you used the active only for the terminal phases closed to attack, and you need to be fast because the sub will react, and there is a significant probability that you lost it if yourn't fast.

The alternative is to remain in passive and try to have a MAD contact. In this case you can drop a torpedo, you have good probability to hit the Sub because the sub is not alerted.

The plane have to fly low (For ATL2 it is 100 feets) to increase pprobability of contact, and if the sub is deep, let say 500 m there is no chance to have a contact MAD.

For this research of "contact MAD" the plane make MAD circle which is with a 60° wings inclination. So The wing tip is very close to the waves.

[MENTION=6203]Death.By.Chocolate[/MENTION]
    It is true for the Poseidon but not for the Neptune due to MAD.

4 people like this.
  3. jonas

jonas Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Thanks for that reply.One other thing if you can answer it. Doesn't flying at the above altitude (30,000 feet) detract from the capability of the aircraft sensors to detect submerged boats,or is the MAD still efficient at this altitude.

4. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
    But can the marine hydrocarbon sensor used on P-8A (US Navy version) detect hydrocarbons coming
    from burning diesel engines in SSKs from high-altitude? What about nuclear submarines?

5. Picdelamirand-oil

Country Flag:
    France
    Re: P-8I Neptune : News & Discussions

Example of MAD range:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a140727.Another forum

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. jonas

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  7. Death.By.Chocolate

Death.By.Chocolate 2nd Lieutant STRATEGIST

No MAD isn't effective at that altitude. Which is why the USN plans to use small surface recoverable drones equipped with a MAD sensor. The plan is to deploy the drones from high altitude while remaining at altitude to receive data from the 120 sonar buoys it can deploy to a wide area.
    The P8-I is equipped with the AN-ASQ-508-A sensor made by CAE a Canadian firm and can fly low to use this MAD sensor. The downside is it will no longer be able to receive data from buoys that rely on line of sight to communicate with the launching platform.
    And the P8-I will be vulnerable to submarine launched anti-aircraft missile if its flies low over the ocean surface.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. Death.By.Chocolate

MAD and Unmanned: Boeing's MagEagle

1 person likes this.
  9. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
    AGM-84L Harpoon-II Block-IIs in full view

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. jonas

Many thanks for the above post,for some reason this system had completely flown under my radar.Having looked at many links I can find very little current info on Mageagle. Can you tell me if there is anything in the public domain,that gives any info on the progress of the system i.e. has it started flight test etc..

Once again many thanks.

11. Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones Doctor Death Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Aren't we getting SLAM-ER missiles?

12. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
    No. Atleast not yet as IN hasn't signed up for any of those.

Only AGM-84L will come with the P-8Is. We may choose to incorporate the SLAM-ER later,
    if IN develops a requirement for that missile (which it doesn't currently have) at a later date.

1 person likes this.
  13. Death.By.Chocolate

Testing began in 2010, it will be operationally deployed in 2016. The below Boeing video will hopefully help you understand Mag Eagle and P-8 A/I operational doctrine.

Untitled Document

14. jonas

Excellent,thanks.

One point,at the commencement it states that the aircraft gains a submarine contact before launching the Mageagle.

Surely this defeats the whole object of the system as it then means the aircraft is flying at low level to gain contact. I thought the idea was to keep the aircraft at height whilst launching the Mageagle to search for contacts,and then relays the data to the aircraft for it to prosecute.

15. Picdelamirand-oil

Country Flag:
    France
    Normally it gain first contact with passive acoustic at high level. The MAD/Mageagle is only to have a more accurate contact.

2 people like this.