Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

P-8I Neptune : News & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by CONNAN, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    France do the same and I suppose other countries too. But it is just opportunity detections because a satellite don't stay on the area for long and will return on the same zone several hours later.

2. Death.By.Chocolate

Death.By.Chocolate 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

The Indian Navy will use the P8-I to scout India's vast coast line supported by shore based installations and surface vessels. Since the buoys ejected by the P8-I transmits its GPS co-ordinates retrieving these sensors for reuse should not present a problem for the Indian Navy. A few may be lost if they are not recovered before the buoys battery is completely drained.
    Yes India will not have the MQ-4C Triton or ACTUV in the near future but they don't have to operate the same equipment as the USN. India's own ASW assets can be integrated into the force structure by adding compatible equipment to India's existing ASW assets. Also for a TDOA system to work the Indians only need an atomic clock and compatible comms gear.Of course manned missions don't have the endurance of unmanned assets such as the Triton, MAG Eagle or the ACTUV. This should also answer your question [MENTION=8572]Gessler[/MENTION]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. tunguska

tunguska Major SENIOR MEMBER

Navy’s Boeing P8I touches down at INS Dega

[​IMG]

Boeing P8I Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance and Anti Submarine Warfare (LRMP/ASW) aircraft of the Indian Navy made its maiden landing at INS Dega airfield on Wednesday.

Piloted by Squadron Commander-designate, Commander HS Jhajj, Callsign IN 321 was welcomed to the fold by Chief of Staff of Eastern Naval Command Vice Admiral Bimal Verma at an event that was attended by Flag Officers and other officers of the Command. The aircraft that had arrived in India in May this year is the first of eight Boeing P-8Is that have been procured under a contract signed in 2009. It is based at Indian Naval Air Station Rajali, Arakkonam, Tamil Nadu and will operate under the administrative and operational control of the Eastern Naval Command.

P-8I aircraft is the Indian Naval variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing has developed for the US Navy. The aircraft is equipped with both foreign as well as indigenous sensors for Maritime Reconnaissance, Anti Submarine operations and for Electronic Intelligence missions. The aircraft is fully integrated with state-of-the-art sensors and highly potent Anti Surface and Anti Submarine weapons. The induction of these aircraft into the Indian Navy would greatly enhance India’s maritime surveillance capability in the Indian Ocean Region, according to a release issued here.

4. Soumya

Soumya Major STAR MEMBER

Indian Navy’s P-8I deployed in Andaman naval air base

[​IMG]

India’s latest maritime surveillance aircraft, P8I, has landed at the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, signalling the Navy’s plan to increasingly use the islands to keep an eye on the three crucial sea lanes used by China to ferry its cargo.

The maiden landing of the first P8I at INS Utkorsh in Port Blair on Tuesday gave the aircraft’s pilots and crew an opportunity to familiarise themselves with the facilities at the island, which would come handy if the government wanted to operate a few of these surveillance aircraft from the island.

The aircraft is equipped with sensors for maritime reconnaissance, anti-submarine operations and electronic intelligence missions. It carries state-of-the-art sensors and highly potent anti-surface and anti-submarine weapons.

India purchased eight such aircraft from the US in a $2.1-billion deal. The first one had arrived in May, and the second P8I was expected to reach India by September.

The US-origin aircraft, with a range of 8,600 km and an endurance of 10 hours, is based at the INS Rajali, a naval air station on the Tamil Nadu coast.

The new P8I, with the call-sign IN 321, was received in the islands by Andaman and Nicobar Command Commander-in-Chief Air Marshal P K Roy, along with senior officers of the Unified Command.

P8I is the Indian naval variant of the P8A “Poseidon” aircraft that Boeing developed for the US Navy. India is the first international customer of this aircraft. With the first eight aircraft likely to arrive by 2015, the navy is acquiring an additional four P8I.

Acquisition of 12 P8I will complete the first phase of the Navy’s requirement of 24 long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft.

Because of the island’s strategic location, the Navy also plans to deploy its medium-range Dornier surveillance aircraft at its furthest air station at Campbell Bay to keep a regular watch on the oil and cargo traffic passing through the strategic Malacca and other two straits.

Indian Navy?s P-8I deployed in Andaman naval air base | idrw.org

1 person likes this.
  5. Virajith

Virajith Captain SENIOR MEMBER

^^

Already C-130J and C-17 were in Car Nicobar now P-8I also deployed:yahoo::BVICTORY:

[​IMG]

6. Soumya

Soumya Major STAR MEMBER

Navy flaunts new Boeing P-8I in maiden flight

[​IMG]

The Indian Navy’s newly-acquired Boeing P-8I long range maritime reconnaissance plane has successfully carried out a long distance maiden flight when it flew out of Arakkonam in Tamil Nadu to Emerald Island in the Andaman and Nicobar islands.

The plane, with anti-submarine warfare capability, took off from the naval air base INS Rajali and landed at INS Utkrosh air field on Tuesday, a Navy officer said here.

“This is its maiden flight since its arrival in Arakkonam base in May this year,” the officer said.

Piloted by Squadron commander-designate Commander H S Jhajj, the aircraft with the call sign ‘IN 321’ was “welcomed” to the islands by tri-services Andaman and Nicobar Command Chief Air Marshal P K Roy, a helicopter pilot himself.

The P-8I is the first of the eight aircraft being procured by the Indian Navy under a contract signed with Boeing in January 2009 for `11,000 crore.

The P-8Is are based on the Boeing 737-800 platform and is the Indian Naval variant of the P8A Poseidon aircraft that Boeing has developed for the US Navy.

India is the first international customer of this aircraft, which is equipped with both foreign as well as indigenous sensors for maritime reconnaissance, anti-submarine operations and electronic intelligence missions, including the American Harpoon missiles.

The aircraft has state-of-the-art sensors and highly potent anti-surface and anti-submarine weapons.

The induction of these aircraft into the Indian Navy has provided a quantum leap to India’s maritime surveillance capability in the Indian Ocean region and enhanced the Navy’s strategic reach, as it can fly non-stop to reach the eastern or western end of the Indian Ocean within a short period.

Navy flaunts new Boeing P-8I in maiden flight | idrw.org

7. BMD

BMD Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  8. ArmChairGeneral

ArmChairGeneral Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

India is now building a lot of boats with anti-sub capability. India has gained a lot of experience in building and using sonars.
    India can now effectively monitor its neighborhood for subs. I think the capability is better than what people think.

9. arp2041

arp2041 FULL MEMBER

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  10. Gessler

Gessler Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Boeing Delivers 2nd P-8I Maritime Patrol Aircraft to India

[​IMG]

SEATTLE, Nov. 15, 2013 – Boeing [NYSE: BA] delivered the second P-8I aircraft to India today, doubling that country’s long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare capabilities.

Boeing is building eight P-8I aircraft for India and delivered the first in-country in May. Based on the company’s Next-Generation 737 commercial airplane, the P-8I is the Indian Navy variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing has developed for the U.S. Navy.

"With two aircraft at Naval Station Rajali now, the Indian Navy will get a good feel for the P-8I's interoperability with other aircraft," said Leland Wight, Boeing P-8I program manager. "Acceptance trials on the first aircraft are progressing well and its availability for testing has been excellent, in large part due to Boeing’s worldwide 737 support capabilities."

While the aircraft delivered today will begin flight trials in the coming months, the first P-8I recently
    completed testing its weapons capabilities, including successfully firing a Boeing Harpoon missile at a target and dropping a torpedo.

In order to efficiently design and build the P-8I and the P-8A, the Boeing-led team is using a first-in-industry, in-line production process that draws on the company’s Next-Generation 737 production system.

The P-8I features open system architecture, advanced sensor and display technologies, and a worldwide base of suppliers, parts and support equipment. P-8I aircraft are built by a Boeing-led industry team that includes CFM International, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Spirit AeroSystems, BAE Systems and GE Aviation.

Boeing offers India a broad spectrum of defense, space and security solutions that are relevant to India's current and future military and humanitarian needs. Boeing India’s corporate office is in New Delhi. For more information, visit Boeing India - Home.

A unit of The Boeing Company, Boeing Defense, Space & Security is one of the world's largest defense, space and security businesses specializing in innovative and capabilities-driven customer solutions, and the world's largest and most versatile manufacturer of military aircraft. Headquartered in St. Louis, Boeing Defense, Space & Security is a $33 billion business with 58,000 employees worldwide. Follow us on Twitter: @BoeingDefense.

Boeing Delivers 2nd P-8I Maritime Patrol Aircraft to India

1 person likes this.
  11. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
    Just in, India's 3rd P-8I MPA has been delivered. Has landed in at INS Rajali in Arakkonam.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Boeing Delivers 3rd P-8I to India

[​IMG]

SEATTLE, Nov. 22, 2013 – The third Boeing [NYSE: BA] P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft for the Indian Navy arrived today in India, on schedule.

The aircraft departed Boeing Field in Seattle for Naval Station Rajali, where it joined two P-8Is currently undergoing flight trials and testing. The first P-8I arrived in India in May.

The P-8I is one of eight aircraft Boeing is building for the Indian Navy as part of a contract awarded in 2009. Based on the company’s Next-Generation 737 commercial airplane, the P-8I is the Indian Navy variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing has developed for the U.S. Navy. The P-8I incorporates not only India-unique design features, but also India-built subsystems that are tailored to the country’s maritime patrol requirements.

More Info

1 person likes this.
  13. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The numbers near the nose tell everything. "20" was the first P-8I, "21" is the second one which was delivered
    only recently and "22" is the latest one that just came in.

1 person likes this.
  14. Hidalgo

Hidalgo 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Welcome news for IN

15. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Pentagon report: Indian Navy's new submarine hunter is ineffective

[​IMG]

An unexpected and worrying question mark has been placed over the Indian Navy’s expensive new Boeing P-8I multi-mission maritime aircraft (MMA), which were bought to allow the navy to monitor the Indian Ocean and to destroy enemy submarines that it detected.

According to a Bloomberg news report, the US Department of Defense (Pentagon) has found that the US Navy’s version of the aircraft, the P-8A, is ineffective at both surveillance, and in detecting and destroying submarines.

Michael Gilmore, the Pentagon’s chief weapons inspector, has reported that the P-8A “is not effective for the intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance mission and is not effective for wide area anti-submarine searchâ€, according to Bloomberg, which cites Gilmore’s annual report on major weapons.

The Indian Navy, which has bought eight P8-I aircraft for US $2.1 billion, is Boeing’s first international customer for this platform. Its cutting-edge sensors, radios and submarine-killing weaponry are integrated onto a special Boeing 737 aircraft, giving it the endurance to fly 1,100 kilometres to a patrol area, remain “on station†for six hours, and then fly back to base.

Yet the Pentagon’s report, which has not been officially released, points out flaws in the aircraft’s radar performance, sensor integration and data transfer. It says that current version of the P-8A had not overcome “major deficiencies†identified in combat testing in 2012-13.

Contacted for a response, the Indian Navy and the MoD did not reply. The Boeing Company has declined to comment, stating that the Pentagon report had not been officially released. The US embassy in New Delhi did not respond to an emailed request for comments.

For Washington, as for New Delhi, this news is worrying. The first P-8A of 117 that the US Navy plans to buy was deployed to Kadena, in Japan. It is operating along with others in the tense maritime environment of the Sea of Japan, tracking Chinese submarines. The three P-8Is already delivered to India (with five more due to come by 2015) are based at Arakonam, near Chennai, to watch over India’s 7,500-kilometre coastline and the ocean stretch from the Strait of Malacca to the Strait of Hormuz.

In November, the US Navy had declared the P-8A ready for combat deployment, while admitted that the US Navy had developed “software upgrades to correct deficiencies.†Vice Admiral Robert Thomas, who commands the US 7th Fleet, backed the P-8A, stating on January 10 that it “represents a significant improvement†over the P-3 Orion, which it replaced in the US fleet.

The P-8I’s sensors include a Raytheon multi-mode radar to detect aircraft, ships and submarines, while another belly-mounted radar looks backwards, like an electronic rear-view-mirror. When a submarine is suspected, the aircraft drops sonobuoys into the water, which radio back suspicious sounds. A “magnetic anomaly detector†on the P-8I’s tail also detects submarines. The P-8I can destroy ships and submarines with Harpoon missiles, Mark 82 depth charges and Mark 54 torpedoes mounted on the aircraft.

More Info