Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

PAK-FA vs F/A-22 - Analysis

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by jagjitnatt, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G777

G777 Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    :toast_sign:Results plz

:toast_sign:Results plz

2. Death.By.Chocolate

Death.By.Chocolate 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Where does it say the APG-77 was not used? Most people fail to realize that Air-to-Air gun tracking and maintaining precise target pipper placement requires the use of the radar. Even BFM engagement that are limited to duel for position and role reversal requires a valid gun track or IR missile lock to declare a winner, 'Snap shots' don't count.

3. G777

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    DbC has a point. It does say that the opponents never got to experience the radar, or how stealthy it was.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  4. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    Formally you are right. But how did he knows that its opponents never experienced F 22's radar if it isn't off? it depends of opponents capabilities (SPECTRA) which it doesn't know.

5. G777

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Or maybe the radar was on and no one detected it? Or maybe some of the dogfights never happened? Or someone is speaking BS. Who knows. Did the F22 go up against F-7s?

6. grond

grond Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Its a good point in order for a radar to be effective it must be tens of thousands of times stronger than the background... Simple recording of all radar frequencies possible and playing after passing it through a time domain filter will separate the f 22 emissions
    Maybe the Americans are confident we can't crack their code cause its aesa.... SPECTRA is a good system maybe it can enable rwr for even aesa systems....

2 people like this.
  7. Picard

Picard Lt. Colonel RESEARCHER

Typhoon's RWR was able to detect F-22s radar, I don't think SPECTRA should have problem with it.

8. Death.By.Chocolate

When did that happen?

9. satya

satya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Because in exercise it fought with Raptor at WVR so it must have jammed the radar.
    Pretty lame

10. Picard

2005. OEU trials, I believe.

:what:

Please explain.

11. Picdelamirand-oil

Country Flag:
    France
    I would like to justify better my claim.
    I will take the ATL2 as an exemple because I was head or deputy Head of its Weapon system from 1984 to 1987. The ATL2 was inducted in 1989 but the development phase for this induction end in1987.
    Because of the sensitivity I cannot say more on the ESM that what can be find with Google!
    So I give an official link in French were ATL2 ESM is characterised.
    L'Atlantique-2
    You can find inside:
    "- un système de détection d’émission radar (ESM) à très large bande de veille, capable de détecter des émissions très brèves," which could be translated in : "A broadband emission detection system (ESM), capable of detecting very brief emissions."
    Now what is LPI? Low Probability Interception, but low probability doesn't mean 0%. And how it works? by emitting very brief emission!
    What I can say to you is that even the ATL2 ESM which is very old has a 100% probability of detecting the F22 radar, and the capability to analyse it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  12. Death.By.Chocolate

The claim was the Typhoons RADAR not RWR detected the F-22 at 80 NM.

13. Picard

Wrong:

I don't know what exercise it was, but it was in 2005, which is why I said that it probably was OEU trials.

14. grond

grond Captain SENIOR MEMBER

True but with transmitters improving bandwidths of 2 to 3 gbps in the terahertz range the emissions will be shorter also with radars becoming bistatic the probability of intercept decrease to below 50% ... But then again the amplitude is still to high ... Maybe they are confident that the pattern will appear random but true random numbers are difficult to generate and co ordinate so there will be a pattern to aesa emissions... That's why they call it low probability....

15. Picdelamirand-oil

Country Flag:
    France
    @grond

The ATL2 ESM is very old and cannot be compared to Spectra, for exemple when I was speaking (1987)of Mz for processing power we speak now of Gz and I keep confirm that the ATL2 ESM (the old one) has a 100% probability (not 50 or 25) of detecting F22 radar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.