Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

PDV Successfully Tested !!!

Discussion in 'Indian Military Doctrine' started by Ankit Kumar 001, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Ripcord322

Ripcord322 Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Let them be ready first...
    The S-300/400/500 interceptors are humongous....Hence they have long ranges....

==========================================================================

Our 'SAMs' Missiles can be divided into 4 parts...​

1) BASIC SAMs like the Akash...The current one is Command Guided...The NG one is supposedly armed with a Desi Radar Seeker....But I can't say how many more decades it will take...

2) Mobile Quick Reaction SAMs Under Development.....These Development projects (Public or Otherwise) Aim to make a Robust, Agile, Quick and Mobile System for Air Defence of Forward Mobile Divisions.....

3) Long Range SAMs not based on Akash... Instead based on (and similar to) Israeli Barak 8s....And AAD....You see the AAD....if it can take down a warhead coming down at superfast speeds then it might as well take down warplanes...I guess....This SAM system will be a true Desi LR SAM if we manage to do it..But again I cannot say how many decades this will take...

4) The Anti Ballistic Types....PAD/PDV/AAD....This stuff is a Pandora's Box.... Multiple Technologies are being developed for it....Now That includes...
    • Powerful Long Range Radars....
    • Missile Mounted Seekers
    • Data Accumulation of Signatures of various RVs and Missiles of Hostile nature by spying on Missile Test Facilities ad Missile Tests using space based 'look down' type satellites...
    • Agile Missiles
    • Kinetic Kill Vehicles
    • Power Computer Algorithms for 'Spot-Track-Analyse-Determine' Role...
    • Algorithms/Computers/Procedures for Condensing All the Data.... i.e Cutting the Bullsh!t (Decoys /Ambient Radiation/ Solar Noise/ Enemy Noise/ Friendly or Self Noise/ Low Lying Space Junk/ or Just Random Bullsh!t One is likely to find in Near Earth Space....) and then converting it into Tracking and Guidance data for the Interceptors...
    • I can go on for days....You get the point.....right....

(5!?) Do we have a MANPADS system under development...!? I, Sure haven't heard about it much..)

All of these technologies can be seen as a building block to a centralised, multi-layered, comprehensive, Robust, Data-Extensive, Agile, Accurate, Dependable albeit a very expensive and far fetched Indian Aerospace Defence Initiative...Which can defend against Cruise Missile...Ballistic Missiles apart from UAVs, Fighters, and other planes..perhaps almost anything which is visible on the radar and is within a certain speed threshold...

But The cost might as well prove prohibitive...I don't think we have a vision to accomplish such an extensive system...it does seem logical....even if the political will and funds are in place...I don't see such a hypothetical system in place before 2040....​

TL;DR : What you say is doable...But it is very expensive and extensive....And will require a lot of 'setting-up' and follow up maintenance for years...apart from the extensive data gathering (Joint or Individual) required to build a 'Hostile Signatures Database'...the technologies are very much in reach...but combining and networking them all will be very very challenging....

You should look up Documentaries and De-classified Pentagon Public Briefing videos on NORAD and SDI aka 'Star-Wars Initiative' ...This will give you a glimpse of the plethora challenges they faced....

Hope this answers your question...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    lca-fan likes this.
  2. randomradio

randomradio Colonel REGISTERED

Not a good comparison. The PDV was designed in the early 2000s based on the Prithvi, when our missile design capabilities were still in its early stages. The point is it does the stated job at an affordable cost, that's what we need for now.

For a better comparison, you will have to wait for AD-1 and AD-2, since they are modern designs.

3. randomradio

DRDO aims to make India free from missile imports by 2022.

SR-91 and lca-fan like this.
  4. Aqwoyk

Aqwoyk Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    That's I know but bhaii itna bhi konsa advanced fuel use kar rhe hain wo ki 900 kg mein 100- 150 km altitude cover kar rhe h and usme bhi extra propellent burn karne k liye maneuver perform karne pde..........

Anyway I think our new PDV won't be more than 1.5 t cause of composites used and some fine cl- 20 particles... if mixed with propellent to increase thrust.......

5. randomradio

The missile is sleeker, so less drag, so it requires less power. And the missile itself is pretty long, so it carries enough fuel.

You should check out SM-3 also.

SR-91 likes this.
  6. Aqwoyk

Country Flag:
    India
    I know SM series for long...... Sm-6 weighs 1.5 ton with upto 450km range ( not altitude )........ Sm-3 bk 2a range 2500km( not altitude ) range and upcoming sm3 Bk2b will be 3000+ km ( not altitude ).
    [​IMG]

Anyway Our AD series will make it to capabilities of SM-3 series but right now we need SM-6 like missiles which are longest range all aspect air defense missile that is it can play anti aircraft role ,anti cruise missile role and can do limited SRBM counter

Plus I don't know why we went with this Arrow3 styled fat PDV and not like THAAD like sleek missile ?

7. Aqwoyk

Country Flag:
    India
  8. randomradio

We are working on one called Ashvin.

Prithvi was a proven system.

SR-91 likes this.
  9. Aqwoyk

Country Flag:
    India
    That's good .

Anyway ....... do you think present PDV will be deployable as it's take of is still slow as compared to arrow3 as shown in above video ? Is it still using first liquid stage from P3 ?

10. randomradio

The Indian BMD is static. And the PDV will be using solid fuel.

11. SR-91

SR-91 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

It won't be just the regular S-400, it will be S-400/500MKI