Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Planning to buy a Lap..Suggestions !!!

Discussion in 'The Big Adda' started by Karthic Sri, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jagjitnatt

jagjitnatt Major ELITE MEMBER

I'd say there are very few quality vendors out there. And to get the best, you need to decide what you are buying the laptop for.

For general use, I'd recommend you go for one of mainstream Dell laptops.
    If you're thinking of buying the XPS for gaming, don't even think about it. They've some crappy GPUs.

For gaming I'd recommend you go in for Gateway, ASUS or MSI.

2. Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones Doctor Death Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Want a real laptop? Get this one..

[​IMG]

3. jagjitnatt

There is nothing awesome about them except for the Mac OS.
    FYI Mac OS can be installed on any ordinary laptop or desktop, with a little/heavy tweaking depending on the config.

And I was the first person in India to be able to run Mac OS (10.4 Tiger) on a normal x86 based processor(AMD) back in 2006-07

4. jagjitnatt

Super overpriced. Poor thermals. After a year, you'll be left with a machine that reboots as soon as you run a game.

1 person likes this.
  5. uptotrix

uptotrix Captain SENIOR MEMBER

That's not a laptop, that's a dump truck.

6. satya

satya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

i would also recommend DELL XPS,

7. Rudrakx

Rudrakx Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

If interested in Macbook pro- really smart far quicker start and turn off, Really quieter, least heating (far less than HP, Acer etc). But are costly.

8. Karthic Sri

Karthic Sri <b>STAR MEMBER of the MONTH</b> SENIOR MEMBER

Thank you guys so much.

Infact my own opinion was to go with the XPS 15...which along with the additional office suite/warraty came to about 57K.

But I might be going to the US by next month and the same XPS 15 which comes here with 500 GB HD, 1 GB grphics card for about 53K costs just 45 K (899$) over there and that too with a 640 GB HD and a 2 GB graphics card..

So in a dilemma as to where to buy...

9. jagjitnatt

If you are going to US, buy it from there. The warranty is international, so there are no issues with that.
    And if you don't carry the packaging and box, ie. you carry the laptop unpacked during flight, no customs will be applicable on it.

10. satya

satya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

well DELL is well known and trusted brand so you can trust it and not worry too much that it will break down too often also you can make inquiry whether USA's warranty applies in India or not
    also since you will be saving 8k with better configuration so even if you have to pay once or twice for its repair it wont be a bad deal,just think

11. Paash

Paash Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Buy laptop according to your need with decent configuration

I has really bad experience with HP, as it key-broad was not working. I has pay for it two times, because I has lost 1st bill.

For DELL, My dell now can crash with blue screen, or it just Jams. I has tried XP, VISTA and Win7

Now I am thinking for LINUX

12. uptotrix

uptotrix Captain SENIOR MEMBER

All laptops are same- Dell, HP, Compaq, Lenovo...etc they don't manufacture them - they just assemble it :hitwall:

13. Welcome

Welcome 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

i am using HP laptop. u know it very helpful in winter bcoz it become hot like heater just 10 minute after switch on the laptop. you will feel that your finger is in microwave. i always prefer to listen music by headphone because 6 months after buying laptop, Speaker had stopped working. when i complain it on HP world famous service center , they blame that u r using VLC player that's why speaker is not working. Now it is your decision that what u want to buy but please never buy HP or compaq laptops.

14. Capt.Popeye

Capt.Popeye Captain SENIOR MEMBER

AFAIK, Laptops are considered to be items of personal use (personal effects), therefore no customs duty is chargeable; import of laptops as personal effects is duty free and has been that way from 2002 or thereabouts. I've brought in 3 laptops since then. Though International warranties were an issue then, the pricing differential sort of overcame that, plus the fact that I travelled both in and out of the country fairly regularly, did not think too much about that; and had to claim warranty only on a small portable printer in all these years.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  15. Mr.Ryu

Mr.Ryu Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Thats true but i use plastic for assembling you use metal for assembling and choosing what chip-set to go with and what features to include and what not are all different.

Then dont forget customer support of various firms, you cant go to intel nvidia gigabite foxcom Phonex seagate or western digital for support we need a one roof support that are provided by so called assemblers so they are all different mate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.