Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Possible sale of ALH Dhruv to Afghanistan

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by MAFIAN GOD, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAFIAN GOD

MAFIAN GOD Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Possible sale of ALH Dhruv to Afghanistan:cheesy::woot::tup::shablon_03::partay:

Possible sale of ALH Dhruv to Afghanistan

[​IMG]

As soon as the Taliban bullet struck 24-year-old Afghan Sgt. Nazir Moradi’s leg, the men in his unit began brainstorming a way to get him off the battlefield.The roads were too dangerous for an army ambulance. The Afghan soldiers, in several calls to their commanders, repeated one plea: They needed a helicopter.

Lack of helicopters and United States moving their assets out of the country is hampering military operations in Afghanistan, Afghan forces operate hand full of Russian built Mi series helicopters but helicopters are always in shortage.

According to sources close to idrw.org, there is possibility of India offering Dhruv helicopters to Afghanistan; HAL is already working on order for Cheetal helicopter against an order of three Cheetals for Afghanistan Government.

Sources also mentioned that Afghan officials in past have inquired about Helicopters which India can provide, Dhruv ALH is already serving in Indian army it is operated in difficult terrain in Himalayas and will be able to handle extreme afghan terrain , Afghans are asking for Indian help in training their crew to maintain Russian built Mi series helicopters .There is no exact number of Helicopters which Afghanistan wants from India or will India finally move away from Red tape and offer ALH Dhruv or even armed variant ALH Rudra.

NEWS OF THE DAY :tornado:

2 people like this.
  2. Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones Doctor Death Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Not worth it, better we but some used bell from US and donate it to Afghanistan.

3. MAFIAN GOD

Dhruv is a lower to medium range transport/special mission helicopter. IMO it is fine to sell.
    Also we trying to sell some Cheetal helicopter. So it would be a package deal.:tup:

4. Skull and Bones

Country Flag:
    India
    Sooner or later Taliban will get their hands on it, and i don't have much hope with Afghan pilots to fly something as sophisticated as Dhruv. For transport, cheaper Mi-17 is the way to go.

And don't expect Afghans to pay upfront with their money, it's more likely to be a donation.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rock n Rolla

Rock n Rolla Lt. Colonel STAR MEMBER

I second that.

6. MAFIAN GOD

I don't think taliban will be stepping up again. Its not 1990s and the Afghans will fight hard to protect their freedom.

Also I think US will continue to give aid, so it won't be a donation from us.

7. brahmos_ii

brahmos_ii Major SENIOR MEMBER

I think it might line of credit for next 50 years

8. Skull and Bones

Country Flag:
    India
    90% of Afghanistan is still dominated by Talibans, and they're inactive mainly because of the air strikes by USAF. Post US withdrawal, there won't be any such threat for them.

And ANA is very poorly equipped, poorly trained to hold against Talibans.

9. Skull and Bones

Country Flag:
    India
    Lol, what if the government changes?

10. brahmos_ii

Here nothing to do with UPA or NDA, here it is Indian Gov so who ever is there in power has to hold the same stance as pervious...

11. Skull and Bones

Country Flag:
    India
    I was talking about Afghan government. Do you expect Taliban government to pay up the debt incurred by Karzai government?

1 person likes this.
  12. Picard

Picard Lt. Colonel RESEARCHER

I think that more important reason for their inactivity are those few thousand NATO troops. As for ANA, not only it is poorly equipped and trained but also poorly motivated. It will be a repeat of South Vietnam.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rock n Rolla

Rock n Rolla Lt. Colonel STAR MEMBER

I'm for the deal, we need to stay in Afghanistan & if the deal helps, why not.

14. Skull and Bones

Country Flag:
    India
    Talibans played a masterstroke if you ask me, they waited patiently until the withdrawal. And once US is off the Afghan ground, there isn't remote chance of re-deployment.

And this withdrawal is more of a 'face saving', rather than accomplishment of mission.

2 people like this.
  15. brahmos_ii

See my friend we are going to market for getting some eggs and after reaching home we found out one of them is rotten then what we can do...

If we don’t want to take that risk then just send our armed persons and take tribunal fee on yearly basis so that Karzai gov will be secured and our investments as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.