Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Premarital sex 'immoral', no religion permits it: Court

Discussion in 'Internal Affairs' started by layman, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    [​IMG]

NEW DELHI: Premarital sex is "immoral" and against the "tenets of every religion", a Delhi court has said while holding that every act of sexual intercourse between two adults on the promise of marriage does not become rape.

Additional sessions judge Virender Bhat also held that a woman, especially grown up, educated and office-going, who has sexual intercourse on the assurance of marriage does so "at her own peril".

"In my opinion, every act of sexual intercourse between two adults on the assurance of promise of marriage does not become rape, if the assurance or promise is not fulfilled later on by the boy," the judge said.

"When a grown up, educated and office-going woman subjects herself to sexual intercourse with a friend or colleague on the latter's promise that he would marry her, she does so at her own peril. She must be taken to understand the consequences of her act and must know that there is no guarantee that the boy would fulfil his promise.

"He may or may not do so. She must understand that she is engaging in an act which not only is immoral but also against the tenets of every religion. No religion in the world allows premarital sex," the court said while acquitting an employee of a multinational company of the charges of rape.

The 29-year-old man, a resident of Punjab, was arrested when a woman, doing a secretarial and administrative job at a private company in Delhi, lodged a complaint of rape against him in May 2011.

In her complaint, the woman had alleged that the man, whom she had met through a chat website in July 2006, used to have physical relations with her on several occasions by promising to marry her.

More Info

3 people like this.
  2. INDIAN NATIONALIST

INDIAN NATIONALIST Major SENIOR MEMBER

there's so much wrong with this; I don't know where to begin

Maybe our society isn't ready for premarital sex yet, for a variety of reasons.
    I'm not sure I entirely agree with that, anyhow.

But "No religion allows it" is not only a dubious statement, it's not a sufficient justification by any line of sound arguement, and most of all, a court is the last place I'd want to see it made.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. Himanshu Pandey

Himanshu Pandey Don't get mad, get even. STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    WTF is this court order... who want to fcuk whom and when is between them and if its not rape its completely moral... court is going into medieval era.. I don't know why.

4 people like this.
  4. Picard

Picard Lt. Colonel RESEARCHER

Premarital sex is immoral and stupid because all consequences of it can easily fall on a woman; in a marriage, both partners are obliged to take care of the child, outside marriage, they're not.

And frankly, if court has really gone medieval with this decision, if notion of responsibility is medieval, then I hope that world as a whole goes medieval soon; the sooner, the better.

2 people like this.
  5. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    As far as i know Obligation in a relationships should be more stress than religious values.

1 person likes this.
  6. Picard

Religions that require marriage do so because of obligation in relationships. And in this quote, religions are only on second place:

7. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    this is no just about child's care or anything other.. just imagine the negatives can be done because of it... those are too much and can be misused as dowry law.

1 person likes this.
  8. Picard

What does dowry have to do with it? Besides, I thought dowry isn't practiced in India any more?

9. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    Well Social and Society welfare should be criteria than religious fundamentals with respect to courts. The Religious issue pulled by court even if it is second or the last is not right. Outright social and societal issues citing for this ruling is more than enough.

10. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    its not forced anymore.. means people can't take the groom away because dowry is not paid or it is not enough due to social awareness.. but it is in practice.. more as social and economy status rather then a ill act as it was in past...

basically a lot of couples have problem and when wife and her family thinks that the husband is expandable and he is not giving in to their pressure they use dowry laws to put pressure of in laws.. it is one of the most misused law in India.. but nobody can change it due to political effects.

1 person likes this.
  11. kaku

kaku BANNED BANNED

This is immoral when?? Even when SC supporting live in relationship. This is one choice that what he/she do in his life, if his/her act is not harming anyone then there is nothing immoral in it.

I think this is against the Right to live, and one should file a writ in SC against it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  12. Marqueur

Marqueur Peaceful Silence ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    its definitely not moral ... but its definitely a choice to adult people make.

13. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    the definition of morality is quite void and can't be defined on set parameters for some marriage in a certain age is immoral and for some cross that age without marriage is immoral. there are african tribes who have premarital sex as a ritual and for them its moral..

moral depends on how you see world and its are as personal as religion...nobody can force one's moral on other thats definitely immoral

2 people like this.
  14. CountryFirst2

CountryFirst2 Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

Why is our court talking about religion when law making, isn't religion and state separated?
    Pre-martial sex is better discouraged. it just leads to kids without parents, which leads to kids raised the wrong way, which leads to further distabilization, which leads to.
    It is a cycle and has to be discouraged everywhere.
    Or they have to marry.
    Another thing I noticed is, they do this, and then look for guys/girls who never had pre-martial sex, though not all, and call it modern.
    Modern has just become another word for 'slut culture'.
    And I don't see pre-martial sex being banned as 'mideval age', but rather culture. You have to have a sense of responsibility and integrity to marry the girl if you had a kid with her. Although, the way this is to be implemented is not by law, but rather by proper bringing up and imparting of values.

1 person likes this.
  15. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    Nothing but abomination of Social and cultural diversity.

We have seen that it would create more problems than solving it. Henceforth Ruling is right but citation is unwarranted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.