Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

President Trump granted rare official dinner in China's Forbidden City

Discussion in 'China & Asia Pacific' started by RMFAN, Nov 8, 2017.

1. RMFAN

RMFAN Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...dinner-china-forbidden-city-article-1.3618735

President Trump is being treated like a royal during his visit to China, and received a rare dinner inside the country's most famed imperial palace.

Trump arrived in Beijing on Wednesday as part of his 12-day tour of Asia, and was greeted by a small army of children waving American and Chinese flags as part of an elaborate welcoming ceremony.

The President, who welcomed his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping to his resort Mar-a-Lago earlier this year, later said he was having a "great time" in the Middle Kingdom after watching a dance performance.

Trump is also the first U.S. President to be given a state dinner in the Forbidden City, an elaborate palace in the center of Beijing used for centuries by China's ruling dynasty.

[​IMG]

Forbidden City

[​IMG]
    The Forbidden City was the Chinese imperial palace from the Ming dynasty to the end of the Qing dynasty—the years 1420 to 1912. It is in the center of Beijing, China, and now houses the Palace Museum. It served as the home of emperors and their households as well as the ceremonial and political center of Chinese government for almost 500 years.

Constructed from 1406 to 1420, the complex consists of 980 buildings[1] and covers 72 ha (over 180 acres).[2][3] The palace complex exemplifies traditional Chinese palatial architecture,[4] and has influenced cultural and architectural developments in East Asia and elsewhere. The Forbidden City was declared a World Heritage Site in 1987,[4] and is listed by UNESCO as the largest collection of preserved ancient wooden structures in the world.

Since 1925 the Forbidden City has been under the charge of the Palace Museum, whose extensive collection of artwork and artefacts were built upon the imperial collections of the Ming and Qing dynasties. Part of the museum's former collection is now in the National Palace Museum in Taipei. Both museums descend from the same institution, but were split after the Chinese Civil War. Since 2012, the Forbidden City has seen an average of 15 million visitors annually, and had 16 millions visitors in 2016.[5]

sangos, Blackjay and Wolfpack like this.
  2. HariPrasad

HariPrasad Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    It seems that diplomacy has changed a lot with the change in US president. It was a time when he leader was not provided to OBAMA but now they are pleased on Trump. Things changes so fast.

3. sangos

sangos Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Safest earthquake-proof structure of imperial China.

4. RMFAN

RMFAN Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    South Africa
    Trump: "I don't blame China" for taking "advantage" on trade
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-i-dont-blame-china-for-taking-advantage-on-trade/

BEIJING -- In joint remarks with Chinese President Xi Jinping, President Trump said he gives China "great credit" for "taking advantage" of the U.S. on trade but the two countries will have a "more prosperous future if we can achieve a level economic playing field."

"Right now, unfortunately, it is a very one-sided and unfair one," Mr. Trump said. "But I don't blame China. After all, who can blame a country for being able to take advantage of another country for the benefit of its citizens? I give China great credit ... but in actuality, I do blame past administrations for allowing this out of control trade deficit to take place and to grow."

In his remarks, Xi said "opening up is China's basic state policy – China will not close its door of opening up, and will open even wider."

Mr. Trump emerged from a lengthy meeting with Xi on Thursday to declare that he believed he and Xi together can solve "probably all" the world's problems.

"I look forward to many years of success and friendship working together to solve not only our problems, but world problems, and problems of great danger and security," Mr. Trump said between meetings at the Great Hall of the People. "I believe we can solve almost all of them, and probably all of them."

Mr. Trump and Xi were discussing a series of thorny issues during Mr. Trump's second day in China, including China's willingness to put the squeeze on North Korea over its nuclear weapons program, and the U.S.-China trade relationship.

Mr. Trump projected confidence on both fronts. He said both he and Xi believe "a solution" exists on North Korea. And he said the countries' trade relationship --which he complained had gotten "so far out of kilter" -- would be made "fair and it'll be tremendous for both of us."