Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Racist tweets mar sweet moment for Nina Davuluri, first Miss America of Indian origin

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by omya, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omya

omya Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Racist tweets mar sweet moment for Nina Davuluri, first Miss America of Indian origin

[​IMG]
    "I'm so happy this organization has embraced diversity… I'm thankful there are children watching at home who can finally relate to a new Miss America," Nina Davuluri said.

WASHINGTON: The tiara had barely been placed on her head and the customary tears of joy had just emerged when racist taunts erupted on social media, marring the moment of triumph for the first ever Miss America of Indian origin.

"And the Arab wins Miss America. Classic," tweeted @Granvil_Colt minutes after the usual final flourish ended in the crowning of Indian-American Nina Davuluri, the current Miss New York, as the new Miss America. ''Ummm wtf? Have we forgotten 9/11?'' asked @anthonytkr, associating her with the terrorist attack on the United States. Some called her Miss Al Qaida and others dubbed her Miss Terrorist. ''How the f*** does a foreigner win miss America? She is a Arab!'' followed up @jakeamick5.

Davuluri, for the record, is very much American, but of Indian origin, just as sundry racist tweeple are of European and Caucasian extract. Daughter of Indian immigrants from Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh, she was born in Syracuse, New York, and grew up in Oklahoma and Michigan.

But in a flaming demonstration that an egalitarian, non-discriminatory United States, like with India, is a work in progress, bigotry and bias kept popping up on social media for hours after the event. Mindless racist stereotyping raced ahead of the ideals professed by many Americans.

''Miss America? You mean Miss 7-11,'' sneered racist individual, referring to the widespread ownership and management of convenience stores by people of Indian-origin. ''Miss America is brought to by their sponsors PF Changs and 7-11,'' jeered another.

It's another matter that the Davuluris fit the Indian-American profile of what the U.S Census says is the academically most-accomplished and highest-earning ethnic group in the United States, ''native'' white Americans included. Nina's father Davuluri Koteshwara Choudhary, who migrated to the US in 1981, is a gynecologist in Fayetteville, New York; Nina herself has a degree in Brain Behaviour and Cognitive Science from the University of Michigan, and aspires to be a cardiologist, a goal for which she pledged the $50,000 prize money she won with her crown.

Such accomplishments were lost on a bigoted minority that, as usual, raked up US President Obama's background, calling both him and the new Miss America Muslims, questioning their ''American-ness'' and loyalty to the US.

The attacks embarrassed many Americans. ''Wow the hate that has come out since an Indian American won #MissAmerica is sad. Guess we haven't come that far after all,'' someone tweeted apologetically. Some Indians lashed back. ''Dear America, be the racist you want to be but at least get your geography right,'' read one tweet, mocking the inability of bigots to distinguish between countries and regions.

Miss Davuluri herself preferred to stay above the muck, telling the Associated Press that she always viewed herself as first and foremost American.

''I'm so happy this organization has embraced diversity... I'm thankful there are children watching at home who can finally relate to a new Miss America,'' she said during her victory press conference.

In fact, two of the runners-up this year, Crystal Lee and Rebecca Yeh, boast of Asian roots, in keeping with the growing number of minority children being born in the US. ''Thankfully the days of peroxide blonde Barbie dolls dominating the pageant are long gone,'' Time magazine observed in its report.

The controversy is also a godsend for the Miss America pageant, which returned to its original home in Atlantic City, New Jersey, and television home on ABC, after it had been sidelined in the US in recent years. Davuluri, competing under the platform ''celebrating diversity through cultural competency,'' is the first Indian-American to win the crown since the pageant began in 1921.

Contestants were judged on the basis of evening gowns, lifestyle/fitness, talent, a personal interview and an live on-stage question. Davuluri was asked about the wisdom of a TV anchor getting plastic surgery on her eyes to alter her appearance. She said she's against plastic surgery, but people should make their own choice and be confident in their appearances.

For the talent part, she chose a classical Bollywood fusion dance piece, capitalizing on her formal training in Bharatanatyam and Kuchipudi.

Source

2. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Re: Racist tweets mar sweet moment for Nina Davuluri, first Miss America of Indian or

Always there is something or the other to spoil the broth.... Damn...

3. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Re: Racist tweets mar sweet moment for Nina Davuluri, first Miss America of Indian or

what matters is that she has won
    congrats !!

2 people like this.
  4. omya

Country Flag:
    India

now AA and jonas are searching her tweeter page. just kidding :lol:

5. layman

Country Flag:
    United States

Yep... SHe has won... That is what matter.. Wondering why these racial comments has to pop up now... She is a American... That is all that matters.

1 person likes this.
  6. jonas

jonas Captain SENIOR MEMBER

I really do hope you are kidding, I hate people who abuse people anonymously on twitter or facebook,in my book cowards of the first degree.

2 people like this.
  7. Himanshu Pandey

Himanshu Pandey Don't get mad, get even. STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

ARAB?... its a clearly racist and insulting comment for an Indian... they should say sorry for this and please somebody send them to schools again.. they missed their geography class

3 people like this.
  8. omya

Country Flag:
    India

The new Miss America says she has "to rise above" negative comments calling her a "terrorist" and linking her to "7-11" and "9/11."

[​IMG]
    (Photo: Michael Loccisano, Getty Images)

Social media was abuzz overnight in the wake of Nina Davuluri being crowned as Miss America 2014.

And a lot of the tweets were attacks on the fact that she is the first woman of Indian descent to win the pageant and wear the crown.

She was referred to as "the Arab," by some and other commenters noted "This is America, not India." One called her "Miss 7-11."

There were those who huffed about it being inappropriately close to 9/11.

Some mentioned ties to al-Qaeda and at least one flat-out called her a terrorist.

Buzzfeed collected many of them. Some have already been deleted.

Davuluri brushed it all off in her first news conference after winning the crown.

"I'm so happy this organization has embraced diversity," she said, according to AP. "I'm thankful there are children watching at home who can finally relate to a new Miss America."

As for the negativty, she said, "I have to rise above that. I always viewed myself as first and foremost American."

Meanwhile, Davuluri, 24, started her reign having to apologize and explain about a different story entirely.

On Good Morning America Monday, she answered questions about a story that surfaced several days before Sunday night's pageant.

According to Page Six, Davuluri was said to have been heard on tape in July in her hotel room after she was crowned Miss New York as saying that Miss America 2013, New York's Mallory Hagan, was "fat as (expletive)." At the time, she said the remarks were made by "people in my room" and MIss America organizers said there was "no validity" to the report.

"Oh my gosh," said Davuluri on Monday to GMA's Lara Spencer, who co-hosted the show on Sunday. "It was such an unfortunate situation. I never made those comments. I called Mallory and have apologized to her because it was the right thing to do. And we worked it out. She's been an incredible resource throughout this journey."

She noted that she hugged Mallory when the news was announced. "And I'm so thankful to have her be a part of this."

Davuluri also took a minute to say how proud she was of her talent portion of the show. "It's the first time Bollywood has ever been performed on the Miss America stage and it's such an honor for myself, my family and the Indian community, as well."

Source

9. omya

Country Flag:
    India

unfuukingbelivable....
    whites cant even tell difference between a hindu, muslim and sikh. its proven now :crazy:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. INDIAN NATIONALIST

INDIAN NATIONALIST Major SENIOR MEMBER

While I'm proud for her achievement and wish her and her family the best, I'm kinda glad that the internet has given a venue for all elements of the population, from the most educated to the most ignorant, to voice their beliefs. Not just the ignorant ones, but especially the ignorant ones. Because that is the only way we will get popular awareness of issue. All people should speak their minds. If someone hates me, he should have the courage to say so, and I to face it. If they didn't make the remarks, they'd still be just as ignorant; we'd just be oblivious to it until it manifest in some other, potentially more dangerous way.

For all the ignorant folk, there are still, today, far more educated people of good character in the US. But if Indians see this sort of thing in the news, and they decide that the only place they can be accepted with certainty is their motherland India, and that the only folks they can be certain to live in harmony with are their Indian brothers, then this sort of occurrence, as unfortunate as it is, has a silver lining for India. It will give Indians a negative impression of the world outside India that will be conducive to a sense of national spirit and brotherhood with their fellow Indian.

2 people like this.
  11. Paliwal Warrior

Paliwal Warrior Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

These guys really need some history lessons with a dose of sobering reality

''native'' white Americans

from when did the WHITES become native of america ??
    the natives of america are red indians in northers central areas america and mexicans in southern parts who have been finished off by the people who have IMMIGRATED from europe

At first the people to come to america were the convicts in europe who were sent to america for punishments - i.e. expelled from europe - also people who were criminals and were running from the law / wanted by the police etc this kind of people initially found it better to go to america / australia (by the way australia is also knows convicts colony as initially convicts of europe / britian were shipped there as punishments )

Later the british french etc sent their people / army to establish their rule over these colonies.

The black -african americans - were brought to america by these europeans as slaves.

All the races ethnic groups inhabiting America have immigrated and none are native to america except red indians

2 people like this.
  12. S K Mittal

S K Mittal Major SENIOR MEMBER

Many congrats to hot babe

1 person likes this.
  13. layman

Country Flag:
    United States

Vanity fair news is not that credible enough to have a say on the Defence relations.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.