Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Rafale deal signed

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by PARIKRAMA, Sep 23, 2016.

1. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

It appears we are buying all the Fs the Americans can give. Haha.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  2. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    What do you see , as a possible sol?

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  3. Inactive

Inactive Guest

I see nothing ... am flabbergasted ......

Until and unless there is something in the back pocket (and lot of red herrings around for that too) .... we are delayed over a decade.

We are looking at a depleted IAF and something we will regret by 2025.

There is not a single project that is being executed. I am not even considering @vstol jockey 's project as that is on drawing board, nor Tejas .. and Rafale? Until and unless we buy the assembly line ---- forget it.

All I see is another few thousands of pages to this thread.

SR-91, PARIKRAMA, Sathya and 3 others like this.
  4. randomradio

All I see are new tenders.

BON PLAN, Inactive and PARIKRAMA like this.
  5. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    I think he is a very good minister and wouldn't want to deprive the Power ministry of him, I'd prefer a totally new option who comes from outside the current cabinet- no sense in disrupting 2 ministries.
    IAF have already confirmed further off the shelf batches but they won't be ordered byeofre 2019.

The Rafale deal is "unkillable", with the heavy customisation package (>$2BN ) the IAF/GoI commited to, there is no way they can stop at anything below 100.
    Really? No evidence of that, he had a big mouth and promised plenty but delivered little...

Being a CM and being a DM are both very full-on jobs, trying to devout one's time between both will only lead to failing at both.

Parrikar has departed, now is time to look beyond him.
    What CDS? That was a promise Parrikar made but failed to fulfil (like many).
    Lol, with no meaningful ToT and a heavier price tag than the Rafale?

6. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Not even that, bloody RFIs!

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  7. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    He is only there for the interim, he won't do anything substantive so...meh.

IMHO NDA have totally screwed defence for their first term, so much churn, so much disruption and thus so little action. Parrikar's depature was the final nail in the coffin until 2019, in 18 or so months the GE 2019 preperations will begin in earnest....

Inactive and PARIKRAMA like this.
  8. randomradio

Weird, bro, you are the only one who thinks that. He's already pushed deals worth 2LC. Both LCA Mk1A and Rafale are his deals. Then there's S-400 and FGFA. All of these progressed under him.

Then there's a lot of other things that he's done at the bureaucratic front, like forcing the Russians to change their laws so we can have spares and parts manufactured in India, especially for Su-30. He got similar concessions for the T-90. His latest achievement was getting a good deal for a lot of ammunition from Russia and I think Israel. Then there's the new DPP.

Personally I think he's been the best DM we've ever had as far as procurement is concerned. What do you think @Hellfire @PARIKRAMA?

9. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    The lowest of low hanging fruits and much of them can be attributed to Modi/PMO anyway (Rafale and S400 certainly).

And defence procurement is just part of a DM's mandate, on a policy level he failed to give what he promised, even 20%. No CDS, no theatre level commands, no DPP-2016 SP chapter (over a year later still waiting) and I don't think he even mentioned the new tri-service combat commands that have been pending for years. He said it would take 5-7 years to implement his vision and he left after barely 2 with little change implemented.

The bar was set so low by Anthony/UPA that some may rejoice at his tenure but perhaps I had higher hopes for him. He had promised the moon but failed to even get off the ground.

10. Inactive

Inactive Guest

Wait and watch .....

There is nothing 'confirmed' yet. That is what is the most interesting part.

Has anything ever made sense in India? Recall the time when both Mirage 2000 and Mig 29 production lines were offered ... and India took neither?

11. SR-91

SR-91 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    PARIKRAMA likes this.
  12. SR-91

Country Flag:
    India

I hear IAC-1 is getting delayed by a couple of years, is there any truth to this rumor?

I've been checking Google earth frequently to see if there are any updated IAC1 pictures but they haven't updated it for quite some time.

Any light you can shed bro?

13. SR-91

Country Flag:
    India

Arun Jaitley will take over as DM and as FM. If he can do both and has done it in the past also, why can't MP.
    JUST saying. Deals in the pipe line needs MP's attention.

But in the end, it is what it is!!!!!!!!

Sathya likes this.
  14. BON PLAN

BON PLAN Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    France
    Osirak ? it was dealed 40 years ago !
    And are you sure that when we inked the contract with Iran, we didn't give all the datas to Israel so as to block or even destroyed it?

Please note that Dassault made the first deterrence missiles for Israel, with all the know how. Partialy the same with nuclear warhead tech.

We are very attentive with our allies. Israel, GB (see AM39 in Falklands), India are allies of France.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  15. IndiranChandiran

IndiranChandiran BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    I think we're seeing unnecessary breast beating and wailing at MP's departure.Sure it's a loss in that he had come to grips with his job & in all probability was on the verge of taking some fundamentally system altering decisions for the benefit of our defence services & it's infrastructure.

But c'est la vie.Life goes on.What I believe are pre requisites for the DM's post is someone who's industrious , a peace maker who can reconcile different interest groups often at odds with each other , a good man manager, has the gift of foresight , is incorruptible with plenty of common sense. The candidate in question need not be technically proficient or qualified though that's a bonus . I'm sure there are other contenders out there who suit the bill.

PARIKRAMA likes this.