Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Rafale deal signed

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by PARIKRAMA, Sep 23, 2016.

1. BON PLAN

BON PLAN Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    France
    You forget Smerstarz.

2. randomradio

randomradio Colonel Technical Analyst

The issue with Tejas is the lack of swing role capability. We will have to employ more jets for missions. As it stands today, Gripen has more of a future in India than Tejas.

Sancho and LonewolfSandeep like this.
  3. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

That's why you have to take official statements and evaluation reports to account and can't simply reject them.
    Yes, Saab was smart to use the development in their favour, Russia tried the same by offering partnership in Pak Fa, but back then Brazil was interested and had the money for a new carrier, SSN developments and we're looking to increase it's strategic profile and the only one that could support that was France. The submarine deal was a good example and much better than the Indian Scorpene deal, a joint carrier development was on the cards as well, just as French government was interested in the KC390 as well. So there was plenty of common ground to divert ToT, even beyond of Rafale alone and still Saab and Sweden was more convincing?
    Personally I think, Israel had it's hand in the game as well, because their benefit from Gripen E is big, with all the Israeli stuff in at least the Brazilian version.

Not being able to close UAE, Brazil and India, with the political advantage of those countries in Rafales favour, is simply not justifiable and all of them sited high costs as one of the main reason against it.

4. BON PLAN

Country Flag:
    France
    It's your opinion. Not mine.
    Let spend some time to see what happend.

5. zebra7

zebra7 Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    If another single engine combat plane is coming, the chances of F-16 is more than the Gripen, since it would be a strategic deal, and US gives more strategic value than the Sweden.

6. Sancho

Why? I wanted more Rafales for nearly a decade now, but I am not a dreamer and ignore the realities. GoI wants SPM without Rafale and is focusing on political ties with the US, IAF is ok with SPM, but hopes on getting at least some optional once and Dassault is focusing in the naval tender, where they are in disadvantage and openly stating that an Indian production line requires far larger orders than the naval and IAF optional requirements.

So there is currently no reason to realistically see more prospect for Rafales.

7. BON PLAN

Country Flag:
    France
    It's not a 3-0 score as you want to demonstrate.

India : it's made. 36 in the pocket, and, it's evident, more to come (my opinion : 36 mini, 72 maxi)
    Brazil : game over
    UAE : the game remain fully open.

LonewolfSandeep likes this.
  8. BON PLAN

Country Flag:
    France
    No way.
    Tejas , Tejas mk 1A; maybe Tejas mk 2 are the future of low end fighter in India. If Indian Govt choose another way, they are fools (so near the end of the long Tejas saga)

9. BON PLAN

Country Flag:
    France
    mark my words : until the end of 2019, we all have seen another batch of Rafale ordered. 18? 36? 57? MII? I don't know. But India need it, and all the recurrent costs have been paid for at least a fleet of 72.

10. shaktimaan

shaktimaan Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    During Iron fist, HAL Chairman said Tejas displays swing role capability in show and Yes, Tejas has swing role capability and can carry asymmetric payload

11. Sancho

It's a 0,5 to 2.5 result against Dassault and even the half point is only based on political reasons and thanks to the PM and the former French President.

UAE is currently closer to sign a Russian fighter deal, than Rafales, because they want more than Rafale offers. The whole Gulf region is moving towards new suppliers, to countries that offer them more techs and participation. That's why you see Chinese drones, Ukraine transport aircrafts, Russian or Turkish stealth fighters getting more importance for the future.

12. sunstersun

sunstersun Lieutenant IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    Canada
    I will eat my hat if Turkey manages to produce a decent fifth generation plane.

The cost is astronomical. And they already plan 100 F-35's.

BON PLAN likes this.
  13. randomradio

Tejas doesn't have swing role capability. It's not because of software, it's because it doesn't have the payload.

[​IMG]
    4 BVR missiles, 2 WVR missiles, 6 bombs.

[​IMG]
    0 BVR missiles, 2 WVR missiles, 2 bombs.

You need a decent payload before you can even begin to think of swing role. LCA is missing at least 2 hardpoints for BVR missiles. If ADA had the foresight to add those, we wouldn't have been talking about importing many aircraft.

This is the minimum required to have an effective swing role capability.
    [​IMG]

14. randomradio

It's actually the opinion of the IAF.

Apparently, now IAF believes the Gripen/Meteor combo is more effective than the Rafale/Meteor combo.

15. randomradio

IAF doesn't care.