Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Rafale deal signed

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by PARIKRAMA, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    Targo for IAF is bought via HALBIT (a JV floated by HAL & Elbit). Don't know if they carry out local production or just joint marketing - localization would make sense if ordered in huge quantities.

PARIKRAMA, R!CK and Abingdonboy like this.
  2. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    HALBIT should be producing them locally by now considering the quantities involved.

HALBIT should be doing a lot of business these days with the COMPASS being ordered for 150+ Rudra, 200+ LCH and Targo will feature on both platforms.

Hopefully the IAF/IA also ends up asking for the Targo to be intergrated on their FLIR equipped ALH and LUH, this will expand the requirement by another 200-300 units at least.

lca-fan, PARIKRAMA and Gessler like this.
  3. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    So it had been DASH III for the test team and will be Targo for operational models?

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  4. R!CK

R!CK 2nd Lieutant REGISTERED

Country Flag:
    India
    Not exactly sure y we switched to Targo. But the newer LSP onwards, only Targo was procured. I also heard that we used Targo at Bahrain, but I can't verify it. Not exactly my domain, so my information is very limited.

Good Day!

Abingdonboy likes this.
  5. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major REGISTERED

Country Flag:
    India
    PARIKRAMA likes this.
  6. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    This is a good question and why I would reiterate what @halloweene sir said (compiling a comparative analysis of all relevent HMSDs), I'm not too sure what the performance measures would be (weight? angle of view? tracking sensitivity?). Perhaps the IAF has made their decsion based on operational/cost considerations (maximum commonality with the rest of the fleet)?

+ the F-35's HMSD is still not ready to be made operational.

R!CK and PARIKRAMA like this.
  7. CNL-PN-AA

CNL-PN-AA 2nd Lieutant MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    The big issue is to increase power by keeping same consumption, same reliability and same maintenance. Same or less ...

8. halloweene

halloweene Major MILITARY STRATEGIST

I definitely agree sir. Defining first performance measures is a "must do". Maybe Halbit is communicative? I'll try with Thalès and Sagem, but getting the definition of a screw from them can take months.

Sathya, PARIKRAMA, R!CK and 1 other person like this.
  9. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Good luck getting anything out of HAL!

Even their website looks like it was designed in 1999, all they show for HMSD is this tiny thumbnail:

[​IMG]

^ Targo?

On a side note Interestingly, I did stumble across this (from that outdated site):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    HALBIT Seaking Full Mission Simulator - Rear Crew Cabin View

I've never seen what the mission consoles inside an IN Sea King Mk.42B look like.

PARIKRAMA, R!CK and Ankit Kumar 001 like this.
  10. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    TOPSIGHT-I (Samtal-Thales joint venture):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PARIKRAMA, R!CK and Ankit Kumar 001 like this.
  11. Picdelamirand-oil

Picdelamirand-oil Lt. Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
    http://www.thalesvisionix.com/
    ADVANTAGES
    Precise head-steered weapons and sensor cueing Full-color, dynamic 360 x 360 conformal color symbology overlaid on the “real world” Rapid target acquisition and hand-off to sensors and weapons Sensor video capability with full-color overlay symbol suite DTEDS, JTIDS and tactical type data display capabilities Seamless 24-hour operation / in-flight transition day-night Simple/accurate bore sight procedure Rapid aircraft integration; No avionics bay LRUs Backward/Forward compatibility with standard head and life support gear, including: HGU-55/P, HGU-56/P, SPH Series, MBU-20/P, MBU-12/P, AN/AVS-9, JSAM Compatible with Clear/Glare/Yellow/ LEP/Step-in visors, spectacles System interchangeable between pilots, NOT one per pilot Lowest procurement cost and projected life cycle cost

FEATURES
    Supports full day/night transition missions Full 24-hour day/night capability; totally compatible with AN/AVS-9 NVGs and Panoramic Night-Vision Goggles (PNVGs) No interruption of symbology/video during NVGs attachment/detachment Full-color, high-resolution SVGA display Virtual HUD or Multi-Function Display (MFD) capability On-demand sensor video (IR) display High-speed tracker with a full-spherical Field of Regard(FOR); choice of HybridInertial or Magnetic tracker Lowest system latency/highest accuracy FOV 26° x 20° Minimal head-borne weight Low total system weight Low power consumption

MISSION SUPPORTABILITY USER FRIENDLY
    Programmable, compact Interface Control Unit (ICU) mounted in cockpit; no avionics bay intrusion ICU includes a 16 GB removable data cartridge, in cockpit Ethernet, 1553, or other standard interfaces ICU provides aircraft power to the NVGs (and battery backup) Military qualification 810D/461E/704A Ejection system compatible/Qualified HVI Safety Disconnect System

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Sathya, PARIKRAMA and R!CK like this.
  12. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major REGISTERED

Country Flag:
    India
    That's one nice find.

13. shaktimaan

shaktimaan Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

video on Targo - II

Abingdonboy, Sathya and PARIKRAMA like this.
  14. stephen cohen

stephen cohen Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    So if we are buying 36 More off the Shelf ; what about Make in India

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  15. randomradio

randomradio Colonel REGISTERED

That's separate. And more numbers than MMRCA program.