Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Rafale for Indian Navy ??

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by Agent_47, Oct 16, 2011.

?

Do you think Rafale as the best choice for N-MRCA competition?

1. Yes

77.8%
  2. No

22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halloweene

halloweene Major MILITARY STRATEGIST

Rafale less proven then F18 SH? Not sure after lybian war. Apart from that, cite me ONE advantage F18 has on Rafale plz! (heavier, less thrust to weight ratio, less payload, less range, much less agility, etc etc)

2 people like this.
  2. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    thats just one minor campaign compared to the Legacy of the F-18s

Personally, i want Rafale as well.

But I wont rule out F-18 SHs, Euro Fighter Naval Variant and the MiG-29Ks

3. SajeevJino

SajeevJino Major SENIOR MEMBER

I think. USS NIMITZ class aircraft carriers mostly operating F18 SH.....is they successed or Not...that why I am saying that Go for f18

4. halloweene

Hmmm not mostly SH yet...US Navy has about 500 atm. (and preferentially on Ronald Reagan class, newer then Nimitz class). But how the fact that F18 SH is used by navy is an argument?

5. Vritra

Vritra Major ELITE MEMBER

I dunno whether this is what the poster was referring to, but a while back there was a report that detailed an option for the Indian Navy to buy one of the decomissioned USN supercarriers. It also said that it would be stipulated in the deal for the Indian Navy to also purchase squadrons of F/A-18 Super Hornets to fly from the deck.

Rafales are certified to fly from USN carriers anyway, aren't they? Certainly beats having to buy planes that the IN might not want in the first place.

Not that the deal for a US supercarrier will go through, anyway, I doubt it will be possible for the IN to buy into such an expensive deal at this point.

6. vikas jat

vikas jat Captain SENIOR MEMBER

first we neeed enough submarines we willl have 3 ac in near future .......rafale will be a good choice if in mmrca rafale is choosen

1 person likes this.
  7. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel IDF NewBie

The only credible choices are:

- Rafale M (excellent choice if it wins IAF MMRCA and IN likes it)
    - F18SH (dedicated carrier fighter, still with some upgrade potential, good weapon package, but the usual restrictions and limitations of the US)
    - F35C (advantage of stealth, good techs and weapons, but not a good fighter as a platform + even higher restrictions and limitations than for F18SH and possibly available for us hardly around the time the carrier will arrive)

Mid to long term choices would be:

- N-Pak Fa / FGFA (most capable choice, Russian navy wants it too, but we might have to fund it)
    - N-AMCA (available from 2022 onwards only, specs and capabilities uncertain so far, more useful in addition to Rafale M or F18SH)

As I mentioned in earlier posts, IAC 2 will have a strategic meaning for Indias defence, because it will allow us to reach targets even at Chinas easters coasts and combined with SSBNs and ICBMs will complete our nuclear triade and a credible 2nd strike capability. Therefore, the fighters on this carrier should be capable of carrying nuclear payloads, which I don't see as a possibility with US fighters.
    On the other side, the US might offer us catapults only in a combined deal with E-2Ds and their fighters, preferably F35s since they need any potent new customer that buys it.

8. Manmohan Yadav

Country Flag:
    India
    I want PAK FA for our carriers accompanied with MiG-29Ks and LCA Naval Variants

9. satz

satz Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Its a deadly combo mate :fie:

10. Hashu

Hashu Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

no other country wants Rafale, it'll be a waste for india to buy it! Eurofighter is more successful and better in many ways!

11. MAFIAN GOD

MAFIAN GOD Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Not a responsible comment mate!!!!
    Rafale is equally capable like EFT and it has a operational Naval version.
    In case of EFT, we might have to fund the naval EFT program.

12. halloweene

I wouldnt be so harsh and remind some facts. In korea, Singapore and switzerland, Rafale finished tech evel in first place (and it was very closed to f35 promises in Netherlands). Then political reasons...
    In EAU its complicated due to the EAU see commerce and politics as the two sides of a single coin.
    Th fact that no country did buy the plane doesnt mean its not good. And the 2 exports of EFA to Saudi (bribing inquiry stopped by Cameron due to national security reasons) and Austria (bribing inquiry on the run) weestate to stae agreements. etc.

13. Manmohan Yadav

Country Flag:
    India
    yes it sure is

14. halloweene

Well...Rafale in itself is a deadly combo :butcher: , but i admit it would have more sense if rafale s chosen for mmrca

15. mikhail

mikhail 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

well we should opt for rafale-m.i mean it will be the most logical choice for the IN.look we can opt for f-18sh but we all know about the us mentality to enforce embargo at any time according to its will.on d other hand the french have always stood by us in time of our need even recently during the kargil war(when we illegally modified the mirage-2k fighters to suit our needs in the battle field).they have also been a very reliable supplier since we inducted our 1st french fighter dessault ouragan in the 50s.so i think it will be a good dicision to induct rafale-n for our naval wing.n beside this rafale is the most potent carrier based fighter available in the current marget(sorry guys but i don't think naval eft will ever make it to the flight deck!).n as many of the members have said in earlier posts the f-18sh is based on an old airframe(precisely of the 70's stuff).n it can only pull off around 8 g.where as rafale can easily pull off greater than 9.5g.so the most logical perspective would be to induct 60 rafale-m asap in IN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.