Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Rafeal Engine and Kaveri

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by DaRk KnIght, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  2. DaRk KnIght

Rafale Engine Kaveri

Dry Thrust 50 51
    Max Thrust 76 81

Now what is the problem with Kaveri then?? IAF is evaluating a plane with 76KN thrust/engine while it is rejecting Kaveri??:angry::angry::angry::angry:

3. RoYaN

RoYaN Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Rafale has two engines per plane while the LCA has 1.
    total thrust of the engines on the Rafale would be 76*2=152KN thrust per plane which is more than the kaveri which is at 90KN(presumed) per engine/plane

4. DaRk KnIght

hey I know that Rafale has 2 engines thats why I have used 76Kn/engine......but the point is we are ready for Rafale why not Indian MMRCA with kaveri??

5. RoYaN

Total thrust is not high enough

6. Dilemma

Dilemma Captain SENIOR MEMBER

I'm not totally sure but I've heard that the Kaveri uses Snecma's engine core. Also, just because an engine has an X amount of thrust doesnt mean it is flight worthy, especially on a single engine plane.

You have to test the engine thoroughly to see how it performs in different scenarios and test its reliability. There is a reason why the JF-17 has the old and under-performing (yet time-tested) RD-93 rather than some other chinese reverse-engineered product.

1 person likes this.
  7. siegecrossbow

siegecrossbow 2nd Lieutant ELITE MEMBER

Has India solved the engine life time issue? Kaveri would probably be ready for introduction once the engine is both reliable and has a long engine life time since thrust should suit the LCA just right.

8. RoYaN

For LCA I no we haven't solved it ,for LCA II the problem would be solved by the time it is Inducted.

9. Dilemma

Dilemma Captain SENIOR MEMBER

I don't think the engine life was an issue, it was the thrust and its weight. The IAF wanted the thrust to be atleast 90KN (with afterburners), but its thrust as of now is somewhere between 80-85KN. To be very frank, the Kaveri will not make its debut on Tejas Mk II as it is still under development and hasn't seen trials on the Tejas yet. Just hope it makes it in time for the AMCA.

10. Arjun MBT

Arjun MBT Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Well, Buddy, Project is In Progress , Kaveri 90-95Kn Thrust Engine is Underway For the trials In October, Hope they conduct it successfully

1 person likes this.
  11. jagjitnatt

jagjitnatt Major ELITE MEMBER

The engine life is a major issue even today. Thrust can be increased if the engine can take it, but the engine had blade throwing tendency. The blades weren't strong enough to hold together for a long enough time. The thrust was very low and sustaining high thrust wasn't possible. We're still struggling to keep the thrust of 60 KN sustainable. Once we achieve this, then we can work on tweaking it to increase thrust. The engine has some serious troubles.

12. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

I'll do something better and close the thread. It's from 2010.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.