Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Rahul Gandhi

Discussion in 'The Big Adda' started by layman, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Sam_

Sam_ 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

I can't watch this stupid Interview anymore and if he becomes PM then RIP India

2. The Drdo Guy

The Drdo Guy Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Fill in the blanks bacchon;"SHIT is acronym for ____________."a)Raul gandhi (b)Sonia (c)MMS (d) kejariwal NOTE-ALL OPTIONS ARE CORRECT FIND THE MOST SUITABLE ONE ACCORDING TO YOUR PERCEPTION.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    Anish likes this.
  3. brahmos_ii

brahmos_ii Major SENIOR MEMBER

In his interview with Arnab Goswami, Rahul Gandhi came across like Hamlet in the TV age, wanting his soliloquies to be discussed, to become part of the nation’s mainstream discourse. Arnab, on his part, was his Master’s Voice stuck in a groove: “You are avoiding a direct face-off with Narendra Modi …….with Modi……Modi”

In the course of his 137 questions spread over 90 minutes, Arnab implored, requested, urged, dared Rahul 28 times to meet Modi in a one to one. Rahul lamented that the media discussed only superficial issues. This lamentation was aired ten times. On 45 occasions he tried to navigate Arnab towards a discussion on the need for transparency, to change the system, to empower youth and women.

The transcript of the interview runs into 12,800 words. Rahul is granted speaking time for about 7000 words. Arnab takes up 5000 words to ask his questions, making it an interviewer-interviewee ratio of 40/60 percent. This near parity in wordage between Arnab and Rahul in what was billed to be a historic, super primetime interview, must be a path breaking style in the annals of interviewing.

Or it may not be because Arnab has already established himself as a cross between a circus ringmaster and a cock-fight pit owner in Lucknow’s Nakkhas of yesteryears. In this genre of television, a knack for sustained harangue and not intrepid questioning is the accepted form.

Earlier in the week, Barkha Dutt of NDTV and Rajdeep Sardesai of CNN-IBN quizzed Arvind Kejriwal methodically to enable us understand the AAP leader. But I gather TRPs chase harangues.

Rahul has a handsome, clean, trustworthy, face of a Greek god but he will never make it as a romantic hero in Bollywood. He does not emote. He doggedly stated his case but he could not, by sheer force, leave an impression that he had done so.

He thought he would give Arnab an opening on which a brief question and answer session would follow. He said it was his “first formal interview of this type” because he had been busy “on internal party work and that’s where most of my energy was going”. But Arnab began to outline his rules for the interview. “I have one request to you right at the start: let’s be as specific as possible on the subjects we deal with today. Do I have your agreement on that?”

Rahul: “Yes we will be specific but if I like to sort of explain things in a broader fashion, I think that will be okay with you?”

But Arnab would have none of it. He unleashed his agenda. “Modi……Modi…..Modi.” The first 22 questions were on Modi.

Rahul sang a parallel tune. He was distressed that a handful of people selected all candidates for Parliament and the State Assemblies. He found in AAP a kindred spirit. They were involving the people in all the processes, something he has had to make heavy weather of because the systems within the party and outside it were extremely resistant to change and innovation.

He referred to his grandmother and his father’s death not necessarily as a tear jerking device, but to tell his tale. “My father was a pilot thrown into the political system by circumstances” and “I saw my father in constant, constant combat with the system and then I saw him die actually”.

And so “I have an aim….. I do not like what I see in Indian politics, it is something that is inside my heart. It is like in our mythology when you talk about Arjun, he only sees one thing, he does not see anything else. You ask me about Modi, you ask me about anything in the system and the only thing I see is that the system in this country needs to change. I am blind because I saw people I loved destroyed by the system”.

This is powerful stuff and would have made for great copy had Rahul not lost sight of the script and made that insensitive remark on the 1984 riots. That is where his inexperience showed up.

Whether it is his obstinacy or his consistency, one cannot be sure, but he continued with Arnab where he had left off with the Confederation of Indian Industry last April. Only 200 people select 5,000 candidates to all legislatures. Beyond these are 2.4 hundred thousand village Panchayats. It were these that had to be “empowered”. Legislatures and policy makers have to develop institutional mechanisms to liaise with the Pradhans who implement policy at the village level.

While the party is contemplating the coming elections in a state of heightened anxiety, the party Vice President, with “2000 workers” he “is proud of”, is busy with his own pilot project, that of choosing sixteen candidates for Parliament through a system of primaries. If successful, this system will be expanded for wider application in 2019, when Rahul will be only 48. By the 2024 elections Rahul will still be only 53. As for 2014, the party maybe in a state of panic on where Rahul is going but, with his eyes only on his chosen target, he is on his way.

Read more

4. The Drdo Guy

Rahul G,ghoron ki race me gadhe nahi daura karte..

5. Marqueur

Marqueur Peaceful Silence ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    What Rahul Gandhi stands for?

Politics in India is overwhelmingly clouded by elections. How good a leader is depends on his ability to gain votes and mobilize masses in a rally. This is the most popular notion of our polity. However, less-political, organizational endeavors seldom attract serious analysis. Such is the case with Congress’ Vice-President Rahul Gandhi. Expert commentary on his politics mostly highlight his (in)ability to getting votes or his supposed inability to mobilize large masses at a rally. A common refrain is how despite ‘his’ best efforts in conducting assembly elections, the Congress has seen defeats in UP, and more recently the four states that just concluded elections.

That is the key reason cited for the lack of his acceptability as a successful leader. Party’s win in Karnataka, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand are largely, many argue due to the local leadership and factors. On the other hand, it is routinely highlighted that his opponent Narendra Modi won three consecutive e
    lections in Gujarat. Most commentaries romanticize his crowd pulling prowess. Only a few highlight blots on his personality, or his communal and authoritarian agenda.

Now the real question is whether a political leader is to be judged beyond his/ her performance in winning elections. Any positive response to this question takes us to an exploration of a less-celebrated part of politics. In doing so, it will also attract attention to the much-needed aspects of politics, that is political parties and their internal politics. What Rahul Gandhi stands for is a question worth addressing in this light. Rahul Gandhi was made Congress general-secretary in 2007 to provide him with a larger party platform. He was made in-charge of Congress’ frontal organizations, namely Indian Youth Congress and National Students Union of India popularly abbreviated as IYC and NSUI respectively. It was then when Rahul Gandhi undertook many reforms in these two organizations, popularly known among party workers as transformation and internal democracy.

He was experimenting something new in the party politics of India. To his credit he did not only limit this transformation to the internal democracy bringing major changes through organizational elections and opening up membership to all but he also discussed and introduced brainstorming sessions on ethics and code of conduct for political workers; this also included issues like what programs a party organization should adopt and carry out; how party cadre should be trained and oriented on various issues; and if it’s possible to introduce merit based promotions in the party organizations. Those who closely observe Congress may validate claims of him addressing these aspects none after than Mahatma Gandhi when Mahatma himself amended the constitution of Indian National Congress and discussed in length programs and membership guidelines of the Congress.

If truth and non-violence were the basic principles of Congress pre-independence then honesty and self-improvement is what Rahul Gandhi stands for today. His famous comment of ‘politics being affected with a disease of which he is a symptom’ was an honest acceptance of Congress being a dynastic party. Instead of involving any theatrics to claim to end this, what Rahul Gandhi introduced is a systematic solution to nurture new talent and providing them with a chance to make it on their own. Many parliamentarians, legislatures and office-bearers in Congress today are the beneficiary of his fair deals.

From being a somewhat reluctant politician to now a Congress life-line, Rahul Gandhi has undergone through a lengthy process of self-improvement. An avid book-reader he always was but now he closely reads the perils of Indian life and politics. If he uses his might to end long-term struggles and deadlocks of legislations then he also provides immediate relief to different sections of society, be it his demand of increasing the numbers of subsidized LPG cylinders or requesting government to provide extra two attempts to civil service aspirants. Rahul Gandhi in action is completely composed and distant from competitive publicity and rhetoric.

Analysis of what Rahul Gandhi has tried to achieve through these steps deserves a book-length space. Irrespective of the volume of success these steps achieved one must note that this is the first time in any political party politics someone from the mainstream party has addressed these issues. A little arrogant may this sound, but he didn’t have to do all this. Things would have been much easier for him had he not been into this lengthy process of transforming politics and empowering people. He was at the top of the food chain. To me that proves his metal of honesty and character. Leaders in history, here and there, did touch upon these issues but he is undoubtedly the first who has tried to bring about a change by devoting himself full-time for this transformation, devoting over 7 years to affect these change steps.

If revolutions without blood and bullet are to be achieved then they can only be achieved through investing time. Years and decades are irrelevant, what relevant is the first step towards revolution. Rahul Gandhi’s unfinished revolution gives hope to a new politics, and eventually, a new polity in India which mostly takes dangerous course of caste, religion or anarchic approach through parties such as BSP, BJP and AAP. Today his silent yet unfinished revolution has reached the thresholds of people at the margins. His recent efforts to include unheard voices through party’s manifesto consultations with street-vendors, women, students, young professionals, backwards classes, tribes, kulis and guard-men, teachers, poverty groups, social activists and geographical minorities show great foresight and an urge for political inclusiveness.

The problem with professional political analysts here is that they are trying to decode Rahul Gandhi in a framework completely made for competitive politics. The Congress Vice-President may not be a very good political competitor but in the larger settings of politics, he is a true revolutionary trying to bring about tangible changes in Indian politics. If a comparison is must then he should be compared with the founders and architects of politics and political organizations. What is wrong with these analysts was wrong with the television interviewer who spoke with Rahul in a highly watched show.

In any one-to-one interview, interviewees are allowed to show their human side. FAQs don’t make a good interview. What that particular interviewer is infamous in is that he never allows his guests to speak and instead emphasizes more on the ‘wants to know’ aspect. A simple research on Rahul Gandhi would have given him a fair idea of the issues dear to Rahul Gandhi. Rather he has researched Rahul’s opponent Narendra Modi well for the interview. Similarly, those who pass comments on Rahul Gandhi’s politics, it seems to me, haven’t taken the trouble of knowing the person called Rahul Gandhi, instead are well-prepared about the personalities Rahul Gandhi is contesting with.

What Rahul Gandhi stands for?

[​IMG]

6. Paliwal Warrior

Paliwal Warrior Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

7. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    If you have a issue report...

Bickering is not something we do here...

Regarding other post moved it to the member section we can discuss it there.

8. The Drdo Guy

One more year under mom.....I have a feeling that he is a retard...The way he acts/talks his guestures...I don't know anyone who personally met him otherwise my doubt was clear..

9. Indx TechStyle

Indx TechStyle Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
  10. Levina

Levina Guest

I must confess that I had no idea we had a dedicated thread for RAGA. Oh my! RAGA you must really thank us for making you feel so important. :lol:

R!CK and Indx TechStyle like this.
  11. HariPrasad

HariPrasad Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    No he is not like a child. He was charged with a rape on sukanyadevi.

Indx TechStyle likes this.
  12. Indx TechStyle

Indx TechStyle Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    What????
    Never knew about this.

13. HariPrasad

HariPrasad Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India