Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Read Gita in school or leave India: Karnataka education minister

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by Hembo, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hembo

Hembo OLD MOD STAR MEMBER

Read Gita in school or leave India: Karnataka education minister
    ANI | Jul 20, 2011, 04.04pm IST

KOLAR: Karnataka education minister Vishweshwar Hegde Kageri has said that it the duty of every Indian to respect sacred Hindu text, Bhagavad Gita, else they should leave the country.

"The Bhagavad Gita is like the Sun. I think that it is the duty of every Indian to respect the Bhagvad Gita like they respect other elements surrounding them. I strongly feel that if someone does not respect it, they have no place in India. They should leave the country and settle abroad," said Kageri.

Rebuking the strong statement issued by the minister, the state opposition and chief of Janata Dal-Secular, H D Deve Gowda said India is a secular country.

"It (India) is a secular country. Kageri should read the Constitution 100 times to understand this. It is a secular country. Every religion has got it's own protection. One cannot teach these fellows; they have abruptly come to power because of the misdeeds done by Congress," said Gowda.

Earlier on July 9, Kageri issued a circular proposing that Bhagavad Gita should be taught to schoolchildren at least for an hour on a daily basis.

The circular has been challenged by the Karnataka State Minorities Educational Institutions Managements Federation, which has filed a petition in the state high court.

____

WTH is wrong with these politicians? Religion is a very personal subject and it should be left that way... It's for mofos like these we are again and again alienating different communities, rather then integrating.. :disagree:

1 person likes this.
  2. Khan

Khan 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

This politician should learn from the mistakes of other nations instead and not to go on the wrong path. Dont destroy your country.:no::no:

3. Khan

Khan 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Is Gita a religious book?

4. JanjaWeed

JanjaWeed Captain SENIOR MEMBER

This is absolutely absurd & no way this can be made mandatory!! State Govt in karnataka has lost its way & are getting pathetic!! This will not work, BJP should get a grip & ask their cronies in karnataka to behave in a civilized way instead of spreading hatred!!

5. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Major SENIOR MEMBER

so what is wrong
    when goverment funded madarsa made quran compulsory then why can't geeta

6. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx Major SENIOR MEMBER

7. JanjaWeed

Madarsa is a relegious school & quran is compulsory to only those who attend madarsa!!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    5 people like this.
  8. Hembo

Hembo OLD MOD STAR MEMBER

Forget about leaving India, what do you have to say about his move on compulsory Gita path?

9. A haseeb A

A haseeb A Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Lol...you see,I was right when I said you don't know about things...

Madrassahs are only for Muslims,no non-muslim goes to Madrassahs...Qur'an is compulsary there because technically,they are religious schools...what else should they teach? (except science,thats necessary)

Qur'an is not compulsary for non-muslims in schools in Pakistan...I myself had a christian friend,who used to have a free period during the Religious education class...

10. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Major SENIOR MEMBER

then why they are funded by gov?

11. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

I have heard this news only in TOIlet...

12. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

There are many Convents in India ... where the Bible reading is Part of the School exercise... No one ever Questioned it... & never Did the Schools take the Permission of the Parents...

But i am against making Gita reading Compulsory in Schools...

13. JanjaWeed

why shouldn't they be? other faith schools are not funded by the govt?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    2 people like this.
  14. Naren1987

Naren1987 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

This is what happens when you don't have indifference to religion.
    We already have to spend hours doing maths,science, Civics, ie important stuff, now this sh1t?

15. Devan Tangri

Devan Tangri FULL MEMBER

It's hard to be secular, believing the world belongs to everybody, when your neighbour('s) think otherwise. Hindus share land, while the West Asians do not. The slightest any patriotic Hindu could ask for is to have the Gita mandatory. Once again, this is another folly argument which regrettably may lead to a hateful thread on religion, be aware.
    Hindus do have their own land technically, in Nepal (but even they don't like India as much), but they're democratic now; at that, no one wants to move to Nepal because it's not of interest (personally I'd consider it, other's I'm guessing not so much). The real Hindu land (which WAS Pakistan) is now India, housing most of them. We've seen the effects of cultural invasion, and it's understandable that Hindus are concerned at how diluted it's culture is turning. Making the Gita mandatory isn't as far off as most of you think, the same happens in many Catholic schools around the world.

Let's measure the effects of having the Gita mandatory:
    Would it spark Muslim tensions? - At the moment, yes. The Muslim world is in shambles and terrorists are spitting their verses as if it's their last. Indian Muslims (Modern or not) would turn skeptical of what's happening to the Muslim world, East and West. If a couple of Mullah Omar's sneak their way in, or even grow in India, and give their motivational Hitler speeches, we're in big trouble. Example: Mullah's would say the threat of the infidels, kafirs, etc. is growing again, and Allah commands us to liberate them from this heathen activity. (THIS IS IN NO OFFENSE TO MUSLIMS, but what else would they say yaar).

Would it preserve Hindu Identity? - Of course. At that, I think it would satisfy the BJP party magnificently. BUT this would spark the intention that would lead to Hindu Nationalism, thinking, Hindu India is on the rise! Later on it will be: and we will reclaim stolen land! I know most of you probably don't think like this but we can't rule out possibilities, especially with 1B Hindus, some are bound to go crazy.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.